Any advice for cutting down on sugar?

Options
I find this quite difficult!

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Limit the foods you eat that contain added sugars.

Just eat more fresh foods, less cereal, cookies, ice cream, and stuff like that...and do more home cooking.

Does that help? At all?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

Focus on getting more protein and fiber. I find it mentally easier to add than it is to subtract--you're going to have to lose something in order to have a deficit, and you will probably decrease your sugar if you focus on increasing those.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Focus on getting more protein and fiber. I find it mentally easier to add than it is to subtract--you're going to have to lose something in order to have a deficit, and you will probably decrease your sugar if you focus on increasing those.

This is the approach that worked for me.

Also, you need to understand where the sugar is coming from -- are you snacking on sweet things? If so, can you eat more at meals or switch out with other kinds of snacks?

I wouldn't worry about sugar specifically, though -- you want to eat a healthy, nutritious diet that is calorie appropriate. So if you are talking about added sugars in lower nutrient, high calorie treats, they are probably a good thing to cut down on (although you can still eat some). If your sugar is largely from fruit or dairy and you are within your calories, there may be no reason to worry about it.
  • racheljasminewood
    racheljasminewood Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well since I've been tracking and trying to eat healthier it seems I am still getting a lot of sugar. I think it mainly comes from fruit. I have a very sweet tooth and tend to crave sugar more than most things. I don't think I get enough protein though so I will try and increase that :)
    Thanks for the advice.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Well since I've been tracking and trying to eat healthier it seems I am still getting a lot of sugar. I think it mainly comes from fruit. I have a very sweet tooth and tend to crave sugar more than most things. I don't think I get enough protein though so I will try and increase that :)
    Thanks for the advice.

The health advisories are for added sugar. Definitely get more protein, but don't worry about fruit (unless you have a medical condition).
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Have you been logging your food for at least a few weeks? If you have take a look at the things you like to eat that are low or lower in sugar and eat more of those. That's probably the easiest place to start. You might also make a list of the more nutritious foods that you like that are low in sugar and incorporate more of those into your diet too.

It's important that you enjoy your food so pay particular attention to that -- dropping something you love for something you barely tolerate is probably not sustainable for most.

Baby steps. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing type of thing and you don't have to have it all figured out today. It's hard at first but you'll get there. :smile:

ETA:
    Well since I've been tracking and trying to eat healthier it seems I am still getting a lot of sugar. I think it mainly comes from fruit. <snip>

I just saw this post. Fruit is healthful so if that's where your sugar is coming from I think you're doing just fine and better than most. You might also be interested in this Sugar FAQ:

Sugar FAQ June 2015
  • Blondiez73
    Blondiez73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Fruit is healthy. You should be encouraged to eat it over processed sugary foods like ice cream, cake, donuts, soda etc. Fruit gives you fiber to fill you up and is full of nutrients. I personally don't feel more protein is the solution for satiety. You can feel just as full on fruit and vegetables and get more bang for your buck, than eating protein which is full of fat, cholesterol, hormones, bacteria, viruses, vessels, tendons, nerves, critters. Eww. No. Dead flesh is not appetizing. Fresh colorful sweet fruits are very appetizing. Dead flesh needs to be covered in sauces and spices to taste good. Fresh fruit is tasty from the picking.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Blondiez73 wrote: »
    Fruit is healthy. You should be encouraged to eat it over processed sugary foods like ice cream, cake, donuts, soda etc. Fruit gives you fiber to fill you up and is full of nutrients. I personally don't feel more protein is the solution for satiety. You can feel just as full on fruit and vegetables and get more bang for your buck, than eating protein which is full of fat, cholesterol, hormones, bacteria, viruses, vessels, tendons, nerves, critters. Eww. No. Dead flesh is not appetizing. Fresh colorful sweet fruits are very appetizing. Dead flesh needs to be covered in sauces and spices to taste good. Fresh fruit is tasty from the picking.

What? I don't disagree that fruits and vegetables are wonderful, fresh, filling, and nourishing, but meat isn't necessarily disgusting and filled with hormones and antibiotics. If you buy responsibly raised meat (preferably from a local farm,) then meat can be just as noiurishing as the wonderfully colored fruits and veggies -- just in different ways. I agree that factory farmed meat is terrible and disgusting, but not all meat is like that. Have you ever eaten a roasted free range chicken? A truly free range one that was able to scratch around and forage for bugs and grubs it's entire life? They are so delicious that they don't need anything to make them taste better. The natural flavor of the meat beats out anything you would ever find in the poultry case at the grocery store.

Also, why harp on the cholesterol found in meat and dairy products? The cholesterol you get from your food has little to no effect on the levels of cholesterol found in your blood. Your cell membranes are made of cholesterol. The myelin sheaths protecting your neural pathways are made of cholesterol. Many other important nutrients (like the B vitamins, among others,) are found most abundantly in foods that are high in cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol isn't bad for you. This isn't the 90s anymore.

To answer the OP's post, try replacing the processed and added sugars in your diet (from things like candy and cookies and the like,) with things that are naturally sweet; like fruit. It will satisfy the craving and you will be getting some valuable nutrients that the processed snack foods weren't giving you. Win-win!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Protein we need to live, fruit we don't. There's a balance to be found in there somewhere. Should be easy to live within 100 grams of sugar a day from all sources and get what you need nutritionally.
  • eba2003
    eba2003 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Look at my wholefoodlife.com she describes how she did it. I think the key is to cut down slowly. Ie. Slowly reducing amount of sugar you add to coffee until you don't add any. Instead of sugary drinks, drink water. Instead of a sweet snack eat some fresh fruit. sugar in fruit is not bad for you unless you have some medical condition, and you get all the benefits of the nutrients in the fruit. If you are craving something sweet then it's much better to have fruit or even dried fruit like dates.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    If you buy fresh veggies and meats, have a little fresh fruit, you are in control of your food intake.

If you want more or less fat or sugar, you can season that in or use a gravy as calorie carrier.

Pretty easy to control your own world that way.

• shetripsalot
    shetripsalot Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Also, why harp on the cholesterol found in meat and dairy products? The cholesterol you get from your food has little to no effect on the levels of cholesterol found in your blood. Your cell membranes are made of cholesterol. The myelin sheaths protecting your neural pathways are made of cholesterol. Many other important nutrients (like the B vitamins, among others,) are found most abundantly in foods that are high in cholesterol. Dietary cholesterol isn't bad for you. This isn't the 90s anymore.

Amen! I eat read meat 3-4 times a week & consume 2-3lbs (at least) of bacon every week. Some days, I have anywhere from 3-6 eggs & my cholesterol continuously drops even more into the Healthy range.

I do limit my fruits to only a serving or two a week. Since I tried a Sugar Detox months ago, I no longer crave sweets. And if I eat plenty of protein, I stay satisfied.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the best advice I can give is don't buy it. If you have a snack bar or vending machine at work, leave your wallet in the car.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Protein we need to live, fruit we don't. There's a balance to be found in there somewhere. Should be easy to live within 100 grams of sugar a day from all sources and get what you need nutritionally.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to stay within 100 grams. On what basis would you conclude that OP is over 100 grams?

The MFP goal is often quite a bit lower, like 45 grams.

There's so far no evidence that OP needs to reduce her fruit consumption. Few people do.

I would agree that if she thinks there's a connection between being low on protein (and she's truly low on protein) and eating fruit that it's worth exchanging fruit for something with protein, but usually there's not much of a connection (except for those doing raw or 80-10-10, of course).
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    amtru2015 wrote: »
    Honestly, the best advice I can give is don't buy it. If you have a snack bar or vending machine at work, leave your wallet in the car.

Remove the opportunity to mess up

Best advice ever
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Only eat sugary foods with fiber and/or protein. Either look for sugary foods that already contain these, or eat them with other foods that do. It's makes a huge difference to me.