WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAMS AND PROTEIN SHAKES

Options
Does anyone know if protein shakes really make you full so you can eat less? Has anyone tried Nutrisystem or Weight Watchers?

Replies

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Me personally protein shakes as a meal replacement leave me feeling hungry two hours later. I only use them when I need to get in my protein, but even 2 scoops of protein powder in almond milk does not hold me over for 6 hours which is how long between meals. I end up needing a snack mid-morning/afternoon.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I have chocolate protein shakes sometimes, but they're mostly because I have to grab a really quick breakfast to take to work. Or when I decide to fit them in on purpose to add in more protein on a certain day. I'd get totally bored with them if I had one every day though.
    My parents have used Nutrisystem, and while they're not terribly overweight, once they stopped using the stuff, they gained what they had lost. You have to find what's sustainable for you, and for me I need lots and lots of variety.
  • cmtmarieee
    cmtmarieee Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Try and balance your protein shake so it contains plenty of carbs (maybe a banana?) and fat (use Canned coconut milk or some nut butter), in addition to the protein powder. When a Shake contains all three macros, it almost mimics an actual meal and helps satiate you longer than protein would by itself. I make a shake only on days I workout with Pure Selection protein and raw milk. That is really REALLY filling ;)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Generally, protein shakes won't make you feel full. There's no volume to them, it's just liquid really.
    Depends on how many grams of protein it contains.
    Also the total calories and SUGAR content.
    Nutrisystem - 15 grams of protein - 7 grams of sugar
    Weight watchers - a silly 10 grams of protein - 6 sugar
    (might as well just have a glass of skim milk!!!!!!)

Consider a REAL protein powder that can help you lose weight.
    I started with Pure Protein from Walmart.
    I think it's about 70 cents per serving. About half of the ones you would try.
    Look for a coupon online by googling "pure protein coupon".
    Target often puts it on a nice sale. Look at their ad.
    I mix it with skim milk, which gives me a total of 28 grams of protein.
    I bought a $14 mixer at walmart - hamilton brand and it works great.
    And yes, I have lost a ton of weight focusing on protein.
    Don't forget chicken, boiled eggs, and tuna are great sources of protein

Protein powders do not make you lose weight. A caloric deficit does.
  • ButterflyGirl2002
    ButterflyGirl2002 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    My son who is into fitness and bodybuilding claims the money he spends on protein shakes is worth it because he's eating less food. Go tell that to my grocery bill!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you're going to go for a protein shake, choose one that also has casein, as it does help you feel fuller.
    I notice a big difference in satiety when I have a protein shake with just plain whey concentrate/isolate compared to one with casein. your mileage may vary..
  • Blondiez73
    Blondiez73 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    To me they are all a waste of money. You could be spending that money on real food, hopefully nutritious food, and lose weight and get healthy.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a high protein shake in the am but I'm not big on solid foods for a few hrs. Hasn't increased losses or anything tho.
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use a protein powder that's 115-140 calories with 27-30g protein, 0-1g fat, & 1-4g carbs (I switch between 2 different brands depending on sales).
    If I want it to fill me up I'll mix it with 1-1.5 cups of almond milk (30-45 calories & adds about 2g carb & 4g fat), a frozen banana (appr. 90 cal, 33g carbs), and 4-5 ice cubes - in a cheap blender I got from Walmart like 15 years ago for $10.
    When mixed all together it's huge, like really huge, and has the texture & flavor of a milkshake (to me) so quite filling. The banana makes it creamy & if using chocolate protein, you don't get much (if any) banana taste (if you don't like banana, I do like banana, so maybe I just don't notice it).
    I find this filling enough for a meal replacement. Sometimes I can't even finish it all!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I eat food. I'm not paying for powders that may or may not contain what they say they do...and could have God Knows What added into the mix. The Beachbody people don't even tell people what is in theirs! Eek!

The WW meetings sound wonderful. I considered joining. I just have an issue with paying people to lose weight. I won't even buy a fitbit, lol. :)
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Protein powders ARE food.

Until someone can find me a whole food source at a unit cost of > $0.50 per 25 grams of protein and will keep in dry storage for weeks, I'll continue to supplement my diet with protein powder.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Until someone can find me a whole food source at a unit cost of > $0.50 per 25 grams of protein and will keep in dry storage for weeks, I'll continue to supplement my diet with protein powder.

Word. Plus they are great for getting in my protein even if I'm not especially hungry. It's much easier to drink my 30gof protein from a shake than trying to eat an additional 30g of chicken some days.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    meh - whenever, I drink a protein shake as a meal which is very rare these days, and it is usually because I am in a rush or something like that, I am freaking starving a few hours later.

OP - I would say just eat solid foods that you like, hit micros/macros, and stay in your calorie target and you will do fine.

Use the protein shakes to get in extra protein or if you are in a rush and need something quick ….
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a meal replacement. Try something like are used for medical weight loss programs. Bariatric Advantage has a number of flavors...chocolate, iced latte, and vanilla are all palatable. I dilute them up to 20 ounces or so and takes a while to get through one so it keeps me full a while.

The advantage to these is that they also have a full complement of vitamins and minerals along with some fiber and very low net carbs.

I mix with coffee, almond milk, PB2, banana...any number of things to mix up the flavors.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

Yes indeedy!

I make my own protein smoothie everyday. I add bibs and bobs, which I should include ARE food items, and it ends up so thick I have to eat it with a spoon.

• lauradb76
    lauradb76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Daily Dose of Dense Nutrition. It doesnt just flush through your system or over work your organs like high protein shakes do.

Shakeology:
    Proteins and Amino Acids: Whey, Pea, Chia, Quinoa, Amaranath, Flax, Sacha Incha

Antioxidants and Super-Fruits: Cacao, Acerola Cherry, Pomegranate, Camu-Camu, Bilberry, Goji Berry, Blueberry, Acai, Green Tea, Rose Hips, Cinnamon, Luo Han Guo

Phytonutrients and super greens: Moringa, Spirulina, Chlorella, Spinach, Kale
    Adaptogen Herbs: Maca, Astragalas, Ashwagandha, Maitake Mushroom, Cordyceps, Reishi Mushroom, Schisandra, Ginkgo, Tulsi (Holy Basil)

Prebiotic and Probiotics: Yacon Root, Chicory Root, Lactobacillus Sporogenes (Bacillus Coagulans)

Digestive Enzymes: Amylase, Cellulase, Lactase, Glucoamylase, Alpha-Galactosidase, Invertase.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    lauradb76 wrote: »
    Daily Dose of Dense Nutrition. It doesnt just flush through your system or over work your organs like high protein shakes do.

Shakeology:
    Proteins and Amino Acids: Whey, Pea, Chia, Quinoa, Amaranath, Flax, Sacha Incha

Antioxidants and Super-Fruits: Cacao, Acerola Cherry, Pomegranate, Camu-Camu, Bilberry, Goji Berry, Blueberry, Acai, Green Tea, Rose Hips, Cinnamon, Luo Han Guo

Phytonutrients and super greens: Moringa, Spirulina, Chlorella, Spinach, Kale
    Adaptogen Herbs: Maca, Astragalas, Ashwagandha, Maitake Mushroom, Cordyceps, Reishi Mushroom, Schisandra, Ginkgo, Tulsi (Holy Basil)

Prebiotic and Probiotics: Yacon Root, Chicory Root, Lactobacillus Sporogenes (Bacillus Coagulans)

Digestive Enzymes: Amylase, Cellulase, Lactase, Glucoamylase, Alpha-Galactosidase, Invertase.

Yeah but shakeology is a waste of money... lol.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I think your better off making a shake with fresh fruit ice and a little milk and sugar free juice. You can even add a bit of peanut butter but I can't eat that. It's delicious and filling and no chemicals.

I do drink the EAS Advantage carb control as an inbetween snack. Taste ok, better with Equal. But not a meal replacement. 100 cal, 2.5 fat 17 g protein