Protein

Options
Hi everyone,
I just wanted to ask a quick question about protein. I know everyones bodies work differently but I've noticed a trend on here recently regarding protein helping with weight loss. I've lost 29lb since August (this has been from on and off eating healthily i.e i eat really good for a month or two then not so good for a month or 2 and just maintain) but since January my eating has been pretty consistent and I've lost the majority of the weight since January. However I've noticed since March/April I've really struggled to get it off and I'm thinking it's mainly from me over exercising and not eating enough calories. I average on about 1100 a day and from my workouts i burn from anywhere between 250 to 500kcal which I am to do between 3-5 times a week (this is according to myfitnesspal, i do not own a HRM). I was just wondering what would be a good Protein to carb ratio? On my diary it says 165g carb and 45g protein. Would this be a good amount or should I aim to decrease the carbs and increase protein?

Replies

• rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do 40/30/30, which is 40% fat, 30% protein, 30% carbs. In settings, you can change your nutritional goals to that. I have mine set to that, and to be honest I struggle to meet those goals, but see it as something I'm working towards.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do 40/30/30, which is 40% fat, 30% protein, 30% carbs. In settings, you can change your nutritional goals to that. I have mine set to that, and to be honest I struggle to meet those goals, but see it as something I'm working towards.

This has got to be a typo, right? 40% fat makes me want to run for the ice cream. I think you must mean 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat?
  • daisabelle
    daisabelle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'll change that now :)
  • angelicazaldivar
    angelicazaldivar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt eat any less than 1200 a day either. I just started doing P90X, and so im doing a ratio of 50% protein/ 30% carbs/ 20% fat. This is supposed to help rid yourself of excess body fat and build muscle. BUT it can leave you fatigued too since there's not a lot of carbs. So the 'balanced' option is 40/40/20.

Another thing is to zig-zag ur calories. So eat 1200 a day for most of the week and maybe eat your exercise calories too on a day or two so your body doesnt get used to the same intake/output. :)

I know that I was having a hard time meeting my protein intake with the 50/30/20 ratio, so I went to GNC and got an unflavored protein supplement. They have when and soy ranging between 25-30 grams per serving. You can add it to just about anything, baked goods, smoothies, soups, etc. :)
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

This has got to be a typo, right? 40% fat makes me want to run for the ice cream. I think you must mean 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat?

I wouldnt think so. If you're not eating enough carbs, your body needs fuel from somewhere. Fat isn't evil.
  • rachypompa
    rachypompa Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    It was a typo, I did mean 40%carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein!