When is the best time to eat carbs?

Options
sspscott
sspscott Posts: 66 Member
I have tried to cut my carb intake. But is there a better time of day to eat carbs?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The only credible advice I've heard for carb timing, is "around your workouts". It's still rather vague and likely not to make much difference
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Unless you are going for a keto diet, no need to cut carbs, just calories. I like to make sure I have some carbs before strength training but it may help mentally more than physically.
    Here's a good study on nutrient timing:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3577439/
    For the goal of maximizing rates of muscle gain, these findings support the broader objective of meeting total daily carbohydrate need instead of specifically timing its constituent doses. Collectively, these data indicate an increased potential for dietary flexibility while maintaining the pursuit of optimal timing.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    IMO - and this isnt based on science: I have my biggest carb intake in the morning. I eat pancakes almost every day for breakfast. Then, as the day goes on, I reduce the carb intake. My total carb intake is around 200g-225g. Im active and this works for me. In my own experience, cutting carbs too much does NOT work and is detrimental to your overall weight loss goals and health.

I do weights 3 times a week and some form of rigorous cardio 2-3 times a week as well. I NEED the carbs for energy!

Short answer? Carb it up earlier in the day. Thats my take on it.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Carbs are a great high octane fuel.

I eat a spike before a challenging workout.

They are not a bad food or anything for most people.

Some, like me are a bit more insulin resistant. But I can still eat them and burn them up.

I just manage them more closely to actual high energy needs.

To your question.., I think it does not matter for most people. Just don't over do your calories and exercise a bit

Sometimes it seems people think fitness needs to be more complicated than it is.

Your mileage may vary
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter for weight loss.

For performance and hunger it may, though that can differ for everyone so you will have to do trial and error.
  • johnbatzer
    johnbatzer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try to focus my carbs to a few hours before workouts. While I always start my day with an "easy" workout on an empty stomach, I try to fit in a far-more intense workout a few times a week. A few hours before these sessions, I'll try to get 75% or so of the carbs I've planned for that day (to fuel me through the workout, but early enough beforehand that I don't feel that they're "just sloshing around my stomach") into me.

Post workout, as close to "immediately" after these more-intense workouts as possible, high protein with minimal carbs.
  • sspscott
    sspscott Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    "Thank you!" to everyone that commented!
  • erickirb
    Options
    johnbatzer wrote: »
    I try to focus my carbs to a few hours before workouts. While I always start my day with an "easy" workout on an empty stomach, I try to fit in a far-more intense workout a few times a week. A few hours before these sessions, I'll try to get 75% or so of the carbs I've planned for that day (to fuel me through the workout, but early enough beforehand that I don't feel that they're "just sloshing around my stomach") into me.

Post workout, as close to "immediately" after these more-intense workouts as possible, high protein with minimal carbs.

Majoring in the minors. If you diet consists of enough protein in a 24 hour period, timing of intake will have very little impact. If you are looking at gaining that extra edge and you are already elite it may be the difference between finishing first or second.

Again if it is for performance, trial and error to see what works for you.
  • Lunawatuna
    Lunawatuna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Best restricted to a glass of red wine and green veg. Big amounts of refined carbs probably cause weight gain. And stimulate appetite.
  • shelybean1
    shelybean1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    NEVER! Just kidding! :) I usually do my carbs in the morning...then gradually decrease throughout the day! :smile:
  • erickirb
    Options
    Lunawatuna wrote: »
    Best restricted to a glass of red wine and green veg. Big amounts of refined carbs probably cause weight gain. And stimulate appetite.

What??? large amounts of carbs don't cause weight gain, excess calories do. If you carbs put you over your maintenance calories, then weight gain would happen.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Allllllllllways!!! Half of my macros are carbs on most days. I love my fruit, veggies, yoghurt, and chocolate :love: I eat six meals a day for around 1400 cal total that get me to bed full and happy. *Shrug* I don't care about carbs (or sugar for that matter). I care about calories in, in relation to my expenditure. That's what is getting my weight down with leaps and bounds.
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Anytime I can fit it into my cal deficit n carb macros :)
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    whenever you want :) #carbsafterdark
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's always a good time for carbs.

200.gif
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If they are good quality carbs (fruit veg, wholegrain, and not just junk or white bread) and in a good balance with fats and protein, it doens't matter when you eat them. Carbs are for energy which is why people say around your work out times but if you were entering a big race or sporting event, you'd want to load your carbs the night before so that your muscles are full of glycogen. But for us who are trying to lose weight, unless you are doing a lot of exercise, you do not need to load up so much. You want to make sure that you are going to have low carb levels overnight when its easier to lose weight in your sleep. I do this by going to bed just a little bit hungry. But during the day, i want to make sure i can get from one meal to the next without starving.
  • KeairaSedai
    KeairaSedai Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I find that when I slowly cut carbs (but not too restrictive) I had less blood sugar spikes and I do feel better and less tired. For me that means eating between 90-150 grams of carbs a day (but mostly from fruit and vegetables).

However, I have no specific time of eating that, I just do throughout the day.

As for weight loss? There's a) no reason to cut carbs and b) it doesn't matter when you eat. Only the equation calories in < calories out matters.

But besides weight loss, you may feel better if you eat less carbs, but you'll have to find out what works for you.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    All day, err'day.

But seriously... I think it really just depends on your needs and what makes you feel best. I generally prefer to eat most of my carbs in the afternoon and evening, because if I eat a lot of carbs in the morning, I end up feeling hungrier throughout the day. But not everyone is that way, so something different might work better for you. :)
  • KeairaSedai
    KeairaSedai Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter for weight loss.

For performance and hunger it may, though that can differ for everyone so you will have to do trial and error.

Oh.. this. I realized I said the same.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Love these threads. So much broscience.