Options
    run more
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    run more

C'mon, you can be nicer than that to a person who's just made their first post on the forums. Nvm, just read your profile description ^_^

Start with a Couch-to-5-km program (c25k), which is designed to get you running for 30 mins straight. If you can't complete the week 1 sessions, repeat as necessary, than move onto week 2. There's a group dedicated to c25k, where you can ask all the noob questions you like about running, as well as get support from other people who are doing it. From there if you wish it, you could do a 5km improver, or a 5 to 10km program.

Run at a pace where you should still be able to hold a conversation. If that means shuffling at the speed of a fast walk, then so be it. Don't overdo it - getting the time up is more important than going fast.

The other thing I can suggest is get fitted for a good pair of shoes and some good socks (NOT cotton ones. They make sweat soup). Go to a running store and have them analyse your gait. A bad pair of shoes can put the fittest person in pain.
  • rei267
    rei267 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ahhh thank you
  • pcrafter1
    pcrafter1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try the couch to 5k app, even if you're not a beginner. It's good for motivation and building stamina
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    shoes shoes shoes
    i had been running in a pair of trainers ive had for 7 years, was ok at first but the more i did the worse my feet and knees got to the point of sleep being agony
    i love my new shoes and my dri fit running socks, so much better

keep your pace slow while you build up your time running, c25k is a good program. yes it feels humiliating to be lapped by a pensioner but they earned their running stripes, you will get faster eventually but trying to race them now will just lead to injuries
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    run more
    Yes. It's the only way.

• WRENxxx
    WRENxxx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There is a lot you can do.

First start with getting a proper shoe fitting. While you might have some fly *kitten* Nike's they might not be best for your foot and stride. Any running shop will gladly fit you and they'll usually give you a few options as what running shoes would work best for you. Believe it or not, having the proper shoes will help immensely.

As people have said, running more is clearly the most direct route to take to help you get better with running. The more you run, the more your stamina will build up for the exercise. The running to hold a conversation tip is great, especially when starting out. If you aren't trying to PR for an upcoming race, there is no reason to go balls to the wall right out of the gate. Gradually build up your pace, distance/time.

There are also different types of running you can do. Sprints, intervals, fartlek, etc are great ways to breaking up just going out and running for the sake of running.

Supplementing with some weight training and occasionally crosstraining on, say, an elliptical can help as well.
  • runningkel
    runningkel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Also, SLOW DOWN. :) A lot of new runners have a hard time improving (and, yes that was me once, too!!) because they are so fixated on pushing hard...there's a misconception that if you're not panting, red, and exhausted it doesn't count...or there's some goal pace that runners think they need to be at. That was great advice a veteran runner gave me a few years ago and it's helped me through 2 full marathons and about 16 half-marathons. Especially as a beginner...try running at a pace where you can carry on a conversation. It will seem slow, but you will improve!! It makes running not as miserable as if you were gasping for air and just wanting it to be over with.

The C25K plan is great for getting out there! Oh, and get fitted for some good shoes and socks!! It's an investment but it makes a huge difference! I'd also suggest body glide for chafing (because nobody wants to run when they're blistered and/or raw anywhere!!).

• Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    One thing my trainer told me that really applies to my running trainning is "get comfortable being uncomfortable"

it rung true for me and now I use it as a mantra when things get tough.

good luck
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What everyone else said. C25K is great, I did it several times on my own, but what really got me on track was when I joined the Learn to 5K program at my local Fleet Feet store. If you don't have that in your area, I am sure there is some sort of local running group you could join for support and camaraderie – runners are generally awesome people who welcome all levels of abilities into their fray.

My big points for you, to repeat some of what has been said, but I think are super important:

1. GO SLOW. I have a thin, willowy, in shape pal who started the running program I am in and now she is running into knee problems because she did too much, too soon. Take it slow and easy until you have a good base built for yourself. You can add more speed and distance later. Aim for a mile first, then another, then 5K. Then the sky is the limit! It's taken me just under six months with the group to go from being able to walk an hour fairly comfortably to being able to run 4 miles. My average pace is still quite slow – between 14:30 and 15:00, but whatever. I am running. (Also note that I started running at over 300 pounds at 5' 8" and have been very lucky to have not been injured at all – I attribute this to taking it slow and easy from the start.)

2. Get good shoes. Poorly fitting shoes or ones that are not made for running with cause problems down the road, if not sooner.

3. Don't wear cotton. You will regret it, especially for socks. You will be shocked to pay $10 and up for a good pair of running socks initially, but trust me, you want them, especially in warmer weather. If you wear cotton socks, you will get blisters. Dri-fit stuff for the rest of your clothes is a good idea, too.

4. Don't compare yourself to others.

5. Don't compare yourself to others.

6. Have fun, and enjoy the challenges you will face!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    run more

C'mon, you can be nicer than that to a person who's just made their first post on the forums. Nvm, just read your profile description ^_^

Start with a Couch-to-5-km program (c25k), which is designed to get you running for 30 mins straight
    . If you can't complete the week 1 sessions, repeat as necessary, than move onto week 2. There's a group dedicated to c25k, where you can ask all the noob questions you like about running, as well as get support from other people who are doing it. From there if you wish it, you could do a 5km improver, or a 5 to 10km program.

Run at a pace where you should still be able to hold a conversation. If that means shuffling at the speed of a fast walk, then so be it. Don't overdo it - getting the time up is more important than going fast.

The other thing I can suggest is get fitted for a good pair of shoes and some good socks (NOT cotton ones. They make sweat soup). Go to a running store and have them analyse your gait. A bad pair of shoes can put the fittest person in pain.

So your advice is that the OP should run more?
  • mangrothian
    Options
    run more

Start with a Couch-to-5-km program (c25k), which is designed to get you running for 30 mins straight
    . If you can't complete the week 1 sessions, repeat as necessary, than move onto week 2. There's a group dedicated to c25k, where you can ask all the noob questions you like about running, as well as get support from other people who are doing it. From there if you wish it, you could do a 5km improver, or a 5 to 10km program.

Yup, just like what you said, except with a bit more explanation. Just saying 'run more' on its own has a chance to make things worse not better. Doesn't really help a person asking for advice either.

My reference to your profile was your self-description as a troll. Not many would admit to that ;)
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    The first order of business is to get a checkup with your doctor to make sure you are healthy enough to start a running program.
  • ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I can only agree with some of the other statements: The 'couch to 5K' plan is great! I'm still doing it and it really gets you used to running more & more. Shoes is definitely something to think about! I've had a lot of knee trouble, possibly caused by the 'wrong' running shoes. Just start small; over-doing it will just stop you in your tracks as your body is not used to it yet. Furthermore, if you just don't enjoy running, don't do it! Find some exercise you enjoy!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    run more

Yup, just like what you said, except with a bit more explanation. Just saying 'run more' on its own has a chance to make things worse not better. Doesn't really help a person asking for advice either.

My reference to your profile was your self-description as a troll. Not many would admit to that ;)

Agree to disagree
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    run more
    Yes. It's the only way.

The best way to get better at anything is to do more of that thing. (With the exception of suicide bombings)
  • mangrothian
    Options
    run more

Agree to disagree

Deal.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Use logic. The more you run, the less (in theory) you will weigh. The less you weigh, the less energy it takes to move you. The less energy it takes to move you, the faster you are able to go! That can motivate you! It motivates me, at least.

If you do not lose weight (or dont need to), then you can judge muscle gain and fitness growth by overall speed and endurance. If weight is held constant, and you are running farther or faster, you know you are improving.

Running sucks, but it is a full body exercise that both makes you better and gauges your progress.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful with the simple theory of "run more" when starting out. You could wind up injured. I concur about C25k. Yes, you will run more, but in a structured way that is less likely to result in you overdoing it and pushing yourself into injury. If all you do is "run more", you might push too hard.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful with the simple theory of "run more" when starting out. You could wind up injured. I concur about C25k. Yes, you will run more, but in a structured way that is less likely to result in you overdoing it and pushing yourself into injury. If all you do is "run more", you might push too hard.
    I agree. Telling a novice to simply run more, or download an app and run, is bad advice for the kinds of reasons you spoke of.