How can I stop myself eating cr***y food?

Options

Replies

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »
    dawniemate wrote: »
    Don't buy it! !

Like I said, I'm not even thinking when I'm buying it, when the cravings are at their strongest thinking 'oh, no, don't do it' isn't going to stop me!

Sorry, I call BS on this. Buying food isn't an involuntary process, like breathing. You ARE thinking when you buy it. You're probably thinking conflicting thoughts (i.e., "Don't buy it" vs. "But it looks so good! I really want to have it!"). You're just allowing the "I really want it" side to win.

Sometimes we just have to buck up and tell ourselves "no". You say that doing that isn't not going to stop you, but that's a cop out. No one is controlling you. It's your decision. I'm not saying it's easy to do, but it can be done. And the more you do it, the easier it'll get.

And as long as you continue to blame "forces beyond your control" instead of taking responsibility for your own actions, it will remain difficult for you to resist the impulse to overeat.

Good luck!
  • GypsyByTheSea
    GypsyByTheSea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Could be the new meds - but one thing I have learned in the 3 years I have spent on MFP - there are many excuses we can use. We have to learn to do what we need to do, regardless of what life throws at us. Is it easy? No. Is it necessary? Yes. When you are ready to do the work to lose weight, you will. You have to be 100% in on the decision. Then the self talk that convinces you to eat things you don't want to eat, will be silenced.

It's a long road. There are many bumps and ruts. Knowing what to eat, how much to eat, and what your body needs is really the easy part. It's putting all that into practice every day that is hard. Good luck.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    dawniemate wrote: »
    Don't buy it! !

Like I said, I'm not even thinking when I'm buying it, when the cravings are at their strongest thinking 'oh, no, don't do it' isn't going to stop me!

Sorry, I call BS on this. Buying food isn't an involuntary process, like breathing. You ARE thinking when you buy it. You're probably thinking conflicting thoughts (i.e., "Don't buy it" vs. "But it looks so good! I really want to have it!"). You're just allowing the "I really want it" side to win.

Sometimes we just have to buck up and tell ourselves "no". You say that doing that isn't not going to stop you, but that's a cop out. No one is controlling you. It's your decision. I'm not saying it's easy to do, but it can be done. And the more you do it, the easier it'll get.

And as long as you continue to blame "forces beyond your control" instead of taking responsibility for your own actions, it will remain difficult for you to resist the impulse to overeat.

Good luck!

This, but also adding to it; I completely understand cravings, I do get them at least a couple times a month, and before I learned how to control them, I was in the same place you are now.
    The thing is you can control them. Just because you may have failed and binged a couple time, or 5 times, or 10 times does not mean that you can't control yourself. Don't give up, keep saying no and keep trying all the advice people have given you in this thread, and slowly you will start to gain control and be able to reduce the number of times you give in.
    Another trick that helps me is to log all my meals and exercise on to MFP first thing in the morning or even the day before. I try and include some chocolates or nice yogurts if I can, and try to compensate with exercise if I know I will go over.
    You can also alternate days when you have a treat. Save up a couple hundred calories from today to have a nice treat tomorrow, and knowing that you CAN have the treat, just not right now is easier than telling yourself NO! you can't have the treat because it is bad food.

Remember it is a process, a journey! You can't make a massive change in your lifestyle one day and expect not to slip a few times before it sticks!
    Good luck!!
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    For the last few days I've had intense cravings for sugary and carb-loaded food, and I've been giving in every single time I get a craving..

I'm hoping it's just temporary, my body is out a whack as I've just switched to a new antidepressant, but until I'm back to feeling in control, is there anything I can do to stop myself pigging out on rubbish?

Make sure that fats and proteins are the foundation and majority of your diet to minimize carb cravings. Fats especially provide a long lasting nutrient that keeps thoughts of carbs at bay for long periods of time. Although it could be the drugs driving the cravings, lots of good fat will tame them. Also, I'm my experience carbs beget carbs, so try and avoid them until later in the day to minimize total intake.
  • lrachel011
    lrachel011 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Imagine your favourite unhealthy food crawling with maggots... Or Google a mouldy picture of it. Gross I know but it works!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    One other little trick I've found that helps is that I will eat the snack ... if it fits within my calorie limit ... but I will eat it very, very, very slowly.

I got in the habit of wolfing back my meals, snacks and everything. One second it would be on my plate ... 3 seconds later there isn't a crumb in sight.

But now I dwell over my food. I pause to really enjoy the flavour. I might take a small nibble, and then have a swallow of water or coffee or whatever might enhance the flavour. Then another small nibble, and a few minutes later another drink.

I have one particular meal I make for lunch that takes me about 45 minutes to eat. :smiley: One bite, one drink, a little bit of work, one bite, one drink, a little bit of work ... It tastes great and it leaves me full for a long time.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    lrachel011 wrote: »
    Imagine your favourite unhealthy food crawling with maggots... Or Google a mouldy picture of it. Gross I know but it works!

Blerrrgggh!
    Thanks for that! Bye bye Ben and Jerry's fish food ice cream (with maggots in it instead of bits of marsh mellow)! (Vomit)
  • Machka9
    Options

Actually, I just have to imagine that whatever it is has been sitting on the shelf for a long time and is dry and stale. And actually, with a lot of stuff on the shelves in an office ... it is on the verge of being dry and stale. The few times I've tried something ... it's rarely as good as I thought it might be.

• Machka9
    Options
    tyediri wrote: »

Blerrrgggh!
    Thanks for that! Bye bye Ben and Jerry's fish food ice cream (with maggots in it instead of bits of marsh mellow)! (Vomit)

Funny story ...

My favourite Clif Bars (an energy bar cyclists use), way back when, was one with little chocolate covered coffee beans in it. I thought it was delicious.

Until one day, I cycled through swarm after swarm after swarm of flying bugs ... dark brown or black in color, with hard shells, looking almost exactly like chocolate covered coffee beans. They got in my helmet, in my hair, in my clothes, in my nose, everywhere!!

I stopped for a break when one swarm kind of eased up a bit and pulled out my Clif Bar to have a bite ... and meanwhile I was still removing bugs from my hair and everywhere. So I kept thinking that the chocolate covered coffee beans were these bugs. I started picking them out of the bar and checking to see if they were chocolate covered coffee beans or bugs. About a third of the way through the Clif Bar, the situation got the better of me, and I could not finish it.

I've never touched those Clif Bars again.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Actually, I just have to imagine that whatever it is has been sitting on the shelf for a long time and is dry and stale. And actually, with a lot of stuff on the shelves in an office ... it is on the verge of being dry and stale. The few times I've tried something ... it's rarely as good as I thought it might be.

The great thing about junk food is that it is full of preservatives so will keep for months. :D
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I always find it helpful to find food you like and find healthier ways of making it. Also plan out snacks that are good and delicious so you dont have cravings.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

That's NLP isn't it. :)
  • LessofPenny
    LessofPenny Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you like pears..... the sweetness is recommended for carb cravings. Sometimes it does help me. It really comes down to most of us are here to start with because food is our drug of choice and we abuse it. It is a habit that you have to find ways to wean yourself off and find a true motivation. Keep your before picture on your post..... calculate all calories. Try to start out with a healthy day every day. Sometimes starting on the wrong foot will make me toss the end of the day. Good luck.

• heymayer
    heymayer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    For fudge sake did you actually censor the gosh darn word "crappy"? Shoot. That's some super hardcore censorship from heck right there I tell ya. Golly!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I really hate licorice, so the last time I was working in an office where there were often "treats" out on the counter in the break room, I wouldn't look at what was actually there. I'd tell myself "licorice, it's all licorice," and refuse to think of chocolate or pastries or .... It was a box of licorice, and I hate licorice. It often worked.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Stop viewing those things as "crappy" and realize that no food is off limits (unless a medical condition is present). The things you're craving will have much less of a hold on you if you know that you can have them anytime you want within your calorie limit.
  • rnegoro
    rnegoro Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just do carb backloading. Skip breakfast, no carb on lunch or skip lunch, train in the evening and eat your bad carbs at night with decent protein. The only way to kill a craving is just to gorge on it and you wont get super fat, because your muscles are so starved of glycogen, the insulin kick at night will mostly go to your muscles. It doesn't really work for diabetics tho.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlgfaMYdTpI
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    To make it even harder, I'm surrounded by cr*ppy food for most of my day - there's a whole shelf of cookies in the kitchen at work, there's a cafe in the foyer with slices all over the counter, there's fundraiser chocolate bars all over the office, there's birthday cakes and baked goodies that people bring in and push in your face... home is my only escape, even then I walk passed shop windows packed to the brim with food... I try so hard to ignore it all but at the moment it's near impossible and I want it all!

Yeah, I'm surrounded by all that stuff too ... but in order to acquire it, I have to pay money, and I'd rather save my money for a trip to New Zealand. Not to mention the price of some of that stuff is ridiculously high. If I really wanted it, I could probably make it for a lot less. But I usually can't be bothered. Too busy.

This is an interesting take on it .... if you want to eat it, you have to MAKE it yourself. You want cake? You have to make it... from scratch... use almond flour instead and use healthy ingredients. You want ice cream?? You'll need to buy an ice cream machine and learn how to do it. Or just use substitues, like mashing up semi-frozen bananas.
  • LoriSOWISA
    LoriSOWISA Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    funny thing...i have dealt with this same issue many a time. i have tripled my water intake and BAM!! i eat less emotionally. you know, out of boredom or facehole cravings. this helped me. :) i drink a half liter before and after each meal, and more in between. i dont snack, but allot my calories into three solid meals. *shrugs* just what i do. :) im still working on figuring this out as well, you are not alone.