How can I stop myself eating cr***y food?

Options
13»

Replies

• Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Every time you crave these foods, drink a glass of water first and/ or eat a piece of fruit instead. I get cravings all the time, but I want a healthier body more then I want cake, cookies, breads, chips,etc. Yes, I do eat them occasionally but when I do, I work them into my calories for the day. Calories in,calories out. Make it a challenge with yourself to see how many you can resist each day. be stronger then the food cravings and replace them with healthy snacks and water and you will be full and not want the crap food*.
  • justinfarmer919
    justinfarmer919 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try having someone go shopping for you!! Make a list of good foods and give them the money to get it for you.
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    meal plan, buy healthy options, set a budget where you don't have money for junk.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    lrachel011 wrote: »
    Imagine your favourite unhealthy food crawling with maggots... Or Google a mouldy picture of it. Gross I know but it works!

Actually, I just have to imagine that whatever it is has been sitting on the shelf for a long time and is dry and stale. And actually, with a lot of stuff on the shelves in an office ... it is on the verge of being dry and stale. The few times I've tried something ... it's rarely as good as I thought it might be.

The great thing about junk food is that it is full of preservatives so will keep for months. :D

True ... but have you ever purchased those large commercial chocolate chip cookies in a plastic wrap ... often found in convenience stores and fundraising areas of offices? I imagine that it is going to be a soft, delicious chocolate chip cookie ... but it usually ends up being like a brick of compressed sawdust.

• Tivonapretty
    Tivonapretty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    How's your water intake? I want aim for a gallon per day starting first thing in the morning. Also I would consume raw fruits and veggies until noon, then lean protein and veggies in the evening and late afternoon. That should help some. You body is most missing nutrient rich foods.
  • YolliB2014
    YolliB2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If I repeat anything that's already been said, I do apologize, I haven't read all the responses...

Is there anyway that you can set yourself up for these cravings? If you are feeling that urge to eat something sweet, why not go for a pudding cup or some solid chocolate? A flavored tea with some sugar. Those 100 calorie pkgs, they come in many flavors. If you feel you can't trust yourself to eat just one "doughnut" or whatever you're craving, (those little buggers can put a pretty big dent in the calorie budget) I would definitely look for something I can enjoy and satisfy my pallet with that won't undermine my entire day if I over do it.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »
    To make it even harder, I'm surrounded by cr*ppy food for most of my day - there's a whole shelf of cookies in the kitchen at work, there's a cafe in the foyer with slices all over the counter, there's fundraiser chocolate bars all over the office, there's birthday cakes and baked goodies that people bring in and push in your face... home is my only escape, even then I walk passed shop windows packed to the brim with food... I try so hard to ignore it all but at the moment it's near impossible and I want it all!

Yeah, I'm surrounded by all that stuff too ... but in order to acquire it, I have to pay money, and I'd rather save my money for a trip to New Zealand. Not to mention the price of some of that stuff is ridiculously high. If I really wanted it, I could probably make it for a lot less. But I usually can't be bothered. Too busy.

This is an interesting take on it .... if you want to eat it, you have to MAKE it yourself. You want cake? You have to make it... from scratch... use almond flour instead and use healthy ingredients. You want ice cream?? You'll need to buy an ice cream machine and learn how to do it. Or just use substitues, like mashing up semi-frozen bananas.

I actually did that with French Toast. Soon after I started here, I wanted French Toast. Why? I have no idea because I don't have it that often.

So I did some research and came up with a relatively low-cal version of French Toast ... and it was tasty. :) My husband and I had them for brunch both Saturday and Sunday that weekend ... sitting at our dining room table and the whole bit. And that ended up making them a bit more special because we don't normally do that on a weekend.

I've been thinking I should dig out the recipe again soon.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My go to snack when I had cravings was nuts with chocolate chips that were sweetened with xylitol (by Krisda) along with some coconut. It was filling and pretty nutritious, well minus the xylitol.

To be honest, I had a lot of distracting cravings until I started eating lower carbs. Once my food was based on healthy fats and proteins, my cravings were gone within a couple of weeks. Totally gone which is quite amazing for me.

LCHF worked for me but it seems it isn't something the majority of people want to do. Look into it if interested.

Best wishes.
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I tend to crave sweets in the evening. While I sometimes do indulge and have a small piece of chocolate (because I usually have the calories left over at the end of the day), there are times I either can't or won't so I drink Teavana Coco Caramel Sea Salt tea. Kicks my chocolate craving everytime.

• prattylessfatty
    prattylessfatty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do this too. Big time. I will eat healthy all day, run at lunch and when I get home it's like a Milk Dud party. I don't know why. What DOES help sometimes is when I can be honest with myself and visualize what eating this food is actually doing to my body (making my clothes tighter, etc) I picture how hard my run was that day and the fact that I am undoing all of that for 10 minutes of satisfaction.

Sometimes that guilts me enough into not doing it. Otherwise, I will do one or all of the following:

1. Beg my husband to shame me verbally (this solidifies that he thinks I am certifiable)
    2. Drink a HUGE glass of water
    3. Picture that one girl I know (and kinda hate) who is slowly becoming thinner than me...you know that girl
    4. Brush my teeth and floss...this makes it almost a chore to redirty those pearly whites

I think weight loss is easy. It's the maintenance that is murder. Good luck to you.