Would you log this as exercise?

Options
I was at the mall this afternoon for about 1 1/2 hrs. Doing some shopping, mainly at one store but trying stuff on looking around, etc. Does that count as anything or shoudl I just not even record that?

Also, do you guys log in when you do houseworl...like vacumming?

Replies

• jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I probably would not log in trying on clothes in a store. Maybe walking around the mall if it was continuous walking. Housework I do count as long as my heart rate is elevated and I am sweating!! lol
  • autiemommy
    autiemommy Posts: 238
    Options
    I never log my house work cause im a stay at home mom and thats what i do daily so when creating my profile i took that into account. But i see lots of people logging it. So i think its a choice.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Shopping? Don't know....but there is an option for cleaning....I use that when I am vacuuming
  • myshell67
    myshell67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't log shopping or housecleaning. if it's part of my "normal" everyday routine, i don't log.
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM when I'm at the mall or zoo. I do this because it's not something common that I do. I do it maybe twice a month if that, therefore I'm walking around and pushing my baby usually and I feel it's exercise. If it's something you do on a regular basis i probably would not count it.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    If it's activity over and above what you would normally do, it's not calculated in your TDEE so it's exercise.

* For someone who is fit and active, it's already part of their daily activity.

* For someone who normally goes from sleeping, to sitting and eating breakfast, to sitting in a car, to sitting at a desk, to sitting in front of the TV, even standing and gently strolling around for a couple of hours is going to be exercise.

Today I parked about a mile away way from the shops i was visiting and walked briskly there and back, 20 minutes each way. I was slightly out of breath so I certainly logged that!
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    I would log them both, but then, when i started here i signed up as sedentry - which is still true now. I drive everywhere, sit down all day with work - which is at home, so no choice not to drive there....So any shopping I do or housework even I log. (As I live with my parents, my mum normally does the cleaning!)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't log shopping or housecleaning. if it's part of my "normal" everyday routine, i don't log.

^^^^ This

Come on people, a sure fire way to eat too much (because you think you can) is logging things like shopping...unless you are normally comatose I would NOT log this stuff. Just think of it as bonus.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    if youre actually trying to seriously lose weight, then no, i wouldnt log stuff like that or take it into account for my daily calories.
    its not going to give you an accurate number anyway
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I count it. . My activity level is set at sedentary. I have a bad knee and before starting to work out I was sitting at home a lot. I cut my shopping short because it was painful to walk. In addition to a bad knee, my feet and ankles were horribly swollen. When I go the the store now, yes I am shopping, but I also make it a point to walk around. I also do things like park my car further away in the lot. If I am walking for a sustained period of time in a department store or grocery store I count it on the lowest setting

I don't log house work simply because my house is small so much it's not that much effort to clean.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm going to log when my wife goes shopping and I have to go with her... I get to subtract 10 calories for every pair of jeans she tries on. I figure I should be getting something out of that ordeal. :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No, I don't log shopping or housework.
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    NO to shopping and housework - those are routine activities :happy:
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't log shopping or housework.....some days i'll go to a shopping centre with the intention of spending hours walking around etc, but not a quick trip and trying on one or two outfits
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't generally log leisurely walks since thats pretty much what my job entails anyways so my body is pretty used it.

Unless it gets my heart rate elevated I don't count it as exercise and even then I tend to only count it if I was wearing my HRM.

Like I took the dogs to the river yesterday to do some swimming and my beagle wouldn't go in by herself so I ended up doing a little swimming too but I wasn't wearing my heart rate monitor and It wasn't really strenuous swimming so I didn't log it.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I don't log shopping, cleaning, or any domestic activities which don't raise my heart rate for an extended period of time. If I tried to eat back all the "exercise calories" from those activities I would very quickly weigh 500+ pounds.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    NO!! I am set to sedentary and I don't log anything other than specific workouts on the treadmill or weight lifting.
  • eaber
    eaber Posts: 25
    Options
    i do log housework and shopping but only if it is extensive. I dont log a 15 minutes clean up but I do log 60 minute cleaning from top to bottom of the house with vaccuuming or dishwashing and there is also dancing to the music i am playing lol. I went to the mall today and spent 4 hours walking around the mall leisurely. i logged 3 hours worth of leisure walking because i dont usually spend 3 hours at the mall. i went to kmart for 20 minutes but i didnt count that. i only count it if i spent a long time on my feet walking around. my activity level is sedentary most of the time.
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't log things like that, because I find it ridiculous to do so. I wouldn't want to be thinking I could go eat those calories. For me, exercise should be purposeful. I do it with the intent to sweat and burn some calories. If I'm just out shopping, that's not exercise to me.
  • BeckyLH
    BeckyLH Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I don't log anything that's not an actual form of 'proper' exercise, so no walks to the supermarket, house work, shopping, walking to the park etc It has to be zumba or running, or cycling, swimming etc for me.