How much cardio should I be doing?

Options
I feel pretty confident in my strength training routine, but am unsure on how much cardio I should be doing a week? I workout 5 days a week and combine strength and HIIT cardio, however, am reading that cardio is best if not done every day? Some say that you should do cardio in am and strength in pm, but, unfortunately, fitness is not my full-time job so I need some realistic guidance. Any input?

Replies

• DoogCampbell
    DoogCampbell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Go by how you feel. If you are doing a decent strength program and then HIIT that should be more than enough for anybody. All I would say is that as the strength program gets harder be prepared to reduce your workouts and give yourself time to recover. If your strength program is not getting nay harder then you need to look at what you are doing as a solid program with built in progression should be taxing you to the point where you dont want to do HIIT everyday...
  • kirsty3865
    kirsty3865 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    I'm currently upping my fitness to join the RAF as a PTI. How do you set out your strength training? Eg. Leg day, arm day etc.?

I do a lot of exercise. Roughly 20 hours per week give or take a few. My weekly routine is as follows...

Monday: 1. gym - leg day (strength only) 90 minutes 2. Ballroom dancing 90 minutes
    Tuesday: 1. Gym - core training and steady cardio 90 minutes 2. Ballroom dancing 90 minutes
    Wednesday: 1. Gym - arm day and HIIT training 90 minutes 2. Karate 90 minutes
    Thursday: 1. Gym - core training and steady cardio 90 minutes
    Friday: 1. Gym - leg day (strength only) 90 minutes 2. Karate 90 minutes
    Saturday: rest
    Sunday: rest (sometimes karate)

Basically if you don't include my dancing and martial arts training I do 3 days with cardiovascular and 2 without. HIIT training with arms and steady or LISS training with abs.

There isn't really a better time of day to do cardio. But I tend to try and do my HIIT training on an empty stomach to make it fasted cardio. This makes the body work harder therefore burning more calories.

It all depends on what you're aim is. I hope this lengthy reply has helped. Feel free to ask me any other questions :)

Kirsty xx
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    What are your goals - in other words what do you hope to achieve with cardio which you believe your current routine does not provide?
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I alternate weight training and running days, so Monday i run, Tuesday i lift.
    I also do a short HIIT workout (15 mins) on my lifting days - Sunday is my rest day.
    Lifting helps me build muscle and cardio ensures i can basically eat what i want (within reason ;) ).
  • nissa5575
    nissa5575 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My goal is weight loss. In reality, I have only been working out consistently and restricting calories for 2 months. So far I have lost 10 pounds, however, I imagine most of that is water weight. Now that I am in the routine of going to the gym and working on my diet, I def see gains in strength and I see definite toning in my biceps and legs. Im always reading up on fitness and health and my first major goal is to lose another 40lbs.
  • nissa5575
    nissa5575 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    So, basically, I am wondering if I should be doing more cardio than 30 minutes 5x a week?
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    nissa5575 wrote: »
    So, basically, I am wondering if I should be doing more cardio than 30 minutes 5x a week?

I would say yes.
    I'd up it to 60 mins 5 x per week and do strength training when you can.
    Cardio burns more cals than strength, so imo is better for weight loss.
    You can always up your strength training once you get to your goal weight.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Nope.
    For weightloss the most important part is your diet.
    Exercise is for your cardio vascular system. Plus it allows you to eat a bit more while still being at a deficit. It is not for losing weight.
    In theory you could lose all that weight without ever setting a foot in a gym.
    If you are already doing strength training I would definitely not do more cardio. It is totally possible to overdo it.

Also, what time of the day you exercise is irrelevant. Just be aware that the second exercise you do is influenced by the first.
    You could also consider doing strength 3x a week and cardio 2-3x a week. Both are beneficial.
    But it really unnecessary to work out two hours a day.

• labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Up to you really. Given your stated goals that sounds fine. A better use of your time would be drilling down on diet.

Additionally cardio could act as a buffer against unwittingly over eating / inaccurate logging or you may just prefer the eat more do more approach but it is up to you. You certainly don't have to do it.
  • bellesb169
    bellesb169 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you aren't seeing the results you want with the 30 minutes 5x a week of cardio I think the simplest thing to do is up your cardio by an additional 15-20 minutes for a few weeks to see if that makes a difference.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its up to you. If you arent seeing the results you want the either eat less or move more. They will both influence the deficit. Be aware that to directly affect the deficit with cardio takes a lot of exrcise to burn 3500 calories for 1lb weight loss(notwithstanding its not a perfect conversion). If you are going to do a lot of cardio then make sure you fuel it, pay attention to the accuracy of burns as well as ensure you are able to recover sufficiently.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I start reaching overtraining symptoms at 5x weight lifting and 3x 20 minute HIIT sessions a week while cutting, so I make sure to take a deload week every 30-60 days if I'm doing that.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I would say yes.
    I'd up it to 60 mins 5 x per week and do strength training when you can.
    Cardio burns more cals than strength, so imo is better for weight loss.
    You can always up your strength training once you get to your goal weight.

What??? Cardio may burn more cals, but you don't need to burn more calories to lose weight, you can just cut cals. eating 1500 cals would be the same as eating 2000 but burning 500 from cardio. it is OP's choice on how to reach the deficit. eat more and do cardio, eat less, or a combo of both, which it looks like they are doing

I would actually suggest less cardio. 2-3 times/week 30 mins/session is enough, unless you are training for an endurance event. Cardio takes energy that could be better used to recover from strength training. recovery is more difficult in a deficit.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You should target up to ~2 lbs of weight loss per week... whatever that takes from a calorie / exercise regimen.

Everyone is different. You also need time to recover and rest.

R
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I would do as much cardio as you want - maybe switch up the types of cardio you do every few weeks so that your body doesn't get used to the type of workout you are doing. Also - there are optimal heart rate zones for fat burn so I would determine what your range is if you are interested in burning fat. I think it's between 65-80% (somewhere around there) of your maximum. For men you take 220 - age and then the percentage of that and it's 226 - age for women.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

If you're seeing results, I'd say you're fine with what you're doing. You can adjust down the road if it feels too easy or your fitness goals change.

There's nothing wrong with cardio 5x a week. Nor strength training that much. It's about the routine itself. Strength training is best if there's a rest day for the muscle group worked in between sessions. For cardio, too much high impact can lead to injury.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Rhyalus wrote: »
    You should target up to ~2 lbs of weight loss per week... whatever that takes from a calorie / exercise regimen.

Not quite, with only 38 lbs to lose she should be aiming for 1 lb/week, 2lb/week is good if you have 75+ lbs to lose.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »

Nope.
    For weightloss the most important part is your diet.
    Exercise is for your cardio vascular system. Plus it allows you to eat a bit more while still being at a deficit. It is not for losing weight.
    In theory you could lose all that weight without ever setting a foot in a gym.
    If you are already doing strength training I would definitely not do more cardio. It is totally possible to overdo it.
    Some of this is true, in theory. But the opposite is also true.

For weight loss, the most important part is not the diet, but CICO.
    Cardio IS for losing weight - it burns calories, thus it participates in CICO.
    In theory you could eat same as before and still lose weight with cardio that offsets your calorie intake.

Given that cardio burns calories AND is also good for your cardio-vascular system I think it is best it to include it (in moderation) in a weight-loss program.

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

That depends on what you're doing for cardio, why you're doing cardio, and how high your intensity is. 30 min x 5 is great for your health, and is easier to stick with than longer sessions. Doing HIIT for an hour five times a week is a recipe for over training.

An alternative to doing long cardio sessions is to do your 30x5, and increase your activity level in general, with more walking, more dancing, more frisbee, more standing and less sitting.