Recipe Ideas, Weight Gain & Marriage

Options
Forever99lbs
Forever99lbs Posts: 57 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
The biggest enemy for most people is weight gain. I got married last year April. I had gained 2kg(4.5lbs) prior to the wedding... when in reality I should have lost approx 3kg (6.6lbs). Anyway 1 year & 3 months later I have gained 12.5kg(27.5lbs). I have always said i'll watch what I eat after i'm married but I guess I was wrong. Now I need to lose 17.5kg(38.6lbs) before the end of this year :/

Goal Weight - 50kg/53kg
Current Weight - 67.5kg (148.9lbs) :'(
Height - 157cm/5'2

I am reaching to mfp for motivation. So, i'm going shopping this weekend and was wonder is there anything healthy that can be recommended that tastes nice. Oh and I am a very lazy cook so I decided I'll make sandwiches for dinner. And maybe cereal for breakfast? not sure about lunch as of yet.

Also, I discovered today that sweet potato with seasoning salt is so yummy. Everyday I say i'm going to start working out but the cold just puts me off :(

MFP... What would you say is a nice meal? And what should I add to my shopping list?

Thank you to everyone that replies :)

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    It is a bit more complicated.
    1) You do not lose more than 20% of your current weight in less than 6 months. Not going to happen, you can forget about it or end up hospitalised trying. You need to see the big picture, and focus on reaching and maintaining long term a healthy weight, without crazy deadlines. What happens at the end of the year, world ends if you are not at pre-marriage weight?
    2) Why did you gain the weight? Unless you figure this out, you might lose for a while, then gain it all back. What is it that changed? Eating more frequently, eating larger meals, eating different foods, moving less?
    3) There are no magic recipes or plans that work for everyone. What is a nice meal plan for you, might be awful for me and vice versa. You either work with your current eating style adjusting portions, or you need to figure out what you could afford (money and time) and what you like eating that could help.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When I moved in with my now-husband, I gained weight :( I think it's like a nesting thing. You are happy and not thinking about anything else other than, you know, nesting. In any event, over the past year up to my wedding this summer, I lost about 20 pounds. It's possible! Just stay on track and you can do it. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I gained weight around the time I got married because I was pregnant. After that it was lifestyle change- becoming much more sedentary but eating the same amount.

I would not put a deadline on your weight loss. Aim for losing around 1 lb/2.2 kg a week and be patient.
    You don't have to change what you eat just reduce the amount. Fit things you like into your calorie goal. You'll find it easier to fit some foods in than others.

My family likes recipes from skinnytaste.com and budgetbytes.com. I find recipes and food ideas on pinterest.

Soup can be easy to make. It freezes and reheats well generally so you can make a big pot and have the leftovers for other meals.

Things I often have on my grocery list:
    spinach- I use it for salads, on sandwiches, on tacos, added to recipes
    Greek yogurt- great for a quick breakfast or snack
    eggs- for recipes, hard boiled for snacks or to add to salads, a quick meal
    fruit, onion, garlic, canned tomato, chicken breast or thighs, beans, lentils, rice, potatoes, bread, oatmeal, granola bars, cheese, cereal, pasta, milk
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was gaining weight before I moved in with HSpoon, but that was because I had gone from a part-time restaurant job to a full-time desk job. That, and I'm lazy. XD But I gained a lot more after moving in, enough that I had to go with a bigger size for my wedding dress. After the wedding, I got down and really focused on changing my eating habits, which is what I needed. Unless you can look and see how your eating habits have changed (or activity level, that can change too), nothing you do is going to work. You have to make a concentrated effort to change your habits. Don't try to force your husband to join you, either. It's good to let him know what you're doing, but you don't need him to join you to succeed.

As for recipes, there's a lot of good ones online, the two posted by Lounmoun are good. I get a lot of them from Allrecipes too, though you have to be careful and double check the nutrition info. Putting the recipe into MFP is great for that! There's also a book called Help! My Apartment Has A Kitchen that has a lot of quick and easy recipes. I'm not much of a cook either, but if you don't have an issue with leftovers, get a crock pot. You can throw just about anything into it, there's a lot of recipes for it, and if you cook enough you can have several nights of leftovers. We've done grill nights too, where we end up cooking enough meat for the week. Just add veggies and quick meal! You might also consider something like a sous vide. It's a device that basically cooks food in water (sealed, of course) by keeping the water at an exact temperature. They sell modified ones that clip onto a pot, which is what we have. We can put some meat and seasoning in and just let it go. So much easier!