Hypo thyroid

Options
i have diagnosed with hypothyroid. I've lost lbs in a year but can't seem to lose much more. I follow a healthy diet and exercise 5 times per week. Any suggestions? Oh I'm 52 yrs old and weigh 210 5 7" tall

Replies

• robper13
    robper13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi. I take medication for hypothyroidism. I had alot of trouble losing weight and i actually gained weight. I still take the medication but went on a plan that worked for me. I started last summer at around 229, 5'10. I got down to about 210 in June of this year following that same program off and on, but included exercising. I could have lost more but in that timeframe i had the stress of losing a beloved pet, and moving out of state. About 7 weeks ago i found this app and started tracking my calories, what i ate. Since then, i've lost 15.4 more pounds. I'm really happy and still losing weight despite taking meds for hypothyroid. You can do it! Lots of positive, supportive people on here too. You can add me.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are medicated, and able to function (i.e. not exhausted to the point you cannot get up from bed, in which case you need to run back to the dr), log your food, use a food scale to make sure you count accurately, set a realistic weight loss goal and you will see results.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo. I lost by eating fewer calories than I was burning. Weigh, measure, and track your food. Find what calorie deficit works for you, which may or may not be a more significant deficit than it would be if you had a healthy thyroid. That's really all there is to it.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I agree with the two above me. I'm hypo too. Never had any trouble losing weight with or without exercise. But if you levels aren't yet steady it might be slower.

Also if you are already insulin resistant, this could be what is making it slower for you. If you have been obese for a very long time, you may well be insulin resistant. This can be tested for. But even then, if you eat at a calorie deficit, your weight should go down.

The main factor to think about if you are insulin resistant is to choose your carbs wisely and restrict them. I'm not sure what the number should be for you but you don't need to go "low carb" just lower carb. This means ensuring you eat the right amoutn of protein for your size and topping up your calories with fat instead of carbs.

If you are insulin resistant, learn about GI and eat Low GI.
  • magistranancy
    magistranancy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also taking medication for hypothyroid. And several other conditions. I'm 54, 5'7" and weigh 228, down from 242 at my heaviest. When we're older and taking medications and have conditions, it's just harder and slower. I'll echo what everyone else is saying and just make sure you are tracking all of your calories and exercise. I also use a fitness tracker and that helps a lot. I keep track of nutrients as well to make sure my body is fueled properly.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm hypothyroid after a total thyroidectomy in 2000 and taking Synthroid. I gained ~75 lbs over time due to lack of exercise and eating too much. Last year I started logging using MFP and working out and lost over 50 lbs.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,884 Member
    Options
    I hope and assume you're on a regular monitoring program. I'm hypothyroid, too; diagnosed in 2000, and my dosage has needed to be increased more than once. For sure, if my TSH creeps up, I'm more likely to gain or it's harder to lose, but it's a fairly small difference. If I'm disciplined about it, I can still lose weight.