Proof that medication equals wait gain, sort of

Options
My situation. I have been steadily loosing about 3/4 lbs since April of this year. Losing about 9 lbs in 3 months. Since the first of July I have lost about 6 lbs, making my average 1.5 lbs a week. My activity and eating stayed the same, I had not cut. According to my fitbit calorie burns by all right I should still be losing 3/4 lbs a week. So what changed?

One of my medications that is known to cause wait gain was cut in dosage. I'm still taking it, but not that much of it. To me this is a backwards proof that I must have put on something when I was taking a higher dose of it that is now coming off without a change in diet. It could have been water weight, I don't know. It's all coming off of my middle, so I'm probably not losing muscle. What do you think?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    How long has this been since you changed dosage?

Weight loss isn't linear and tons of things can influence the weight on the scale.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Correlation does not equal causation.

Could be you're at the stage in your weightloss where your body decided it was easiest to take fat off your middle instead of other places. Maybe you got better at logging and weighing food, so you have a bigger deficit than before. Maybe your energy has increased (due to better fitness or potentially reducing the med) and you don't realize that in general you stand and have incidental body movements more. Maybe all of the above. Maybe it was the med.
  • AnnaBellQ14
    AnnaBellQ14 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It's been 4 weeks since the dosage change. I do get up earlier now, so maybe I burn more, I don't know. It just seems that the weight has been sort of falling off of me since I reduced dosage. I do keep a spreadsheet of calories burned minus consumed, and according to it, I should still be losing 3/4 lbs a week. I'm not complaining mind you. But it's a big difference. 9 lbs in 12 weeks vs. 6 lbs in 4 weeks.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Medications MAY influence your metabolic rate and hence, in the absence of appropriate diet changes, change your weight gain/loss. It is a very small number of medications that do this, and they only do it because you haven't been consistently dieting (ie, haven't maintained the exact same surplus or deficit after starting the med).

This is not proof that drugs caused weight gain. This is proof that TDEE estimates are estimates only and do not guarantee success.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Dude, if your arguments are correct, then it must be true that Japanese motor vehicles in North America make people want to commit suicide while driving.

p75m8p8bou9j.jpeg
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    It would be interesting to know what the medication is.
  • AnnaBellQ14
    AnnaBellQ14 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    OK, I admit, my logic is probably faulty. It's interesting though. If I continue losing at this rate, I will reach my goal weight in 3 months. That would be nice. Last time I lost weight unexpectedly like this, without diet change, is when I was pregnant with my second and didn't know it.