Vitamix or Blendtec - opinions wanted! :)

Options
tnqnt
tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
Hi!

Looking to replace my Ninja - it just isn't cutting it anymore.
I am interested in either a Vitamix or a Blendtec.

Which models do you have? Recommend? Not like?

Looking for power to break down to seed level.

Also, are the bells and whistles important? Why?

thanks in advance.

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Vitamix Professional Series 300. I bought mine from Williams Sonoma. They had a special, which enabled me to purchase the 48 ounce jar for $50. The professional came with a 64 ounce jar.

The Vitamix makes a beautiful banana bread, homemade hummus etc. It makes sense to have two jars or some people have a wet and a dry jar so that they can make flour etc. It all depends on your needs.
  • tnqnt
    Options
    Thank you for your input. Does the Pro 300 grind down berry seeds? thanks!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Great deal on vitamix at Costco. You can't go wrong with either, so whatever you can find on sale.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I got a Vitamix reconditioned standard for a steal at $250 shipped. If you google around, you'll find similar deals.

https://www.vitamix.com/Shop/Certified-Reconditioned-Standard

I use it far more than I thought I would. Smoothies, nut butters, soup, hummus, sauces, blended drinks, etc.

I personally haven't had a need for a dry jar because I'm not making flours, but I know some people love theirs. My wet jar does the job.

I also haven't had a need for the program models of some more expensive Vitamix blenders. This one works perfectly for my needs. The only negative is that the 64oz jar that comes with the 5200 is too tall to go under most cupboards on the counter. I store mine on a shelf.

Also note that with the less expensive 5200, you have to: turn on the machine using the right switch, gradually increase speed from 1-10 using the middle dial, then turn the machine from variable to high (if desired) using the left switch - in order, every time. Then the reverse must happen to turn it off. If you buy a more expensive model, you don't have to do that. It's a tiny annoyance but worth the $200ish price difference to me :)

Overall, I really like it and I'm so glad I got it. Plus, the reconditioned models have a 5-year warranty.

As for berry seeds, I can't really answer the question but found this:
    http://www.blenderbabes.com/blender-babes-101/blender-reviews/vitamix-vs-blendtec/blending-raspberry-blackberry-strawberry-berry-seeds-blendtec-vs-vitamix-vs-ninja-review/#.Vbjp4PlVhBc
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have a vitamix and wouldn't trade it for any other small appliance. I had to use sesame seeds in hummus a couple days ago because i was out of tahini and you would have never known...so smooth and creamy.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have a vitamix but both are quality blenders that you wouldn't regret owning. If you're wanting to grind grains, the blendtec has a single container for both wet and dry ingredients. I have a grinder that I use for all my grains (corn, wheat, rice, beans, whatever I want) so that wasn't a selling point for me. The vitamix has a separate dry container that costs extra.

If none of that matters and you're looking purely for wet blending (smoothies, soups, hummus, peanut butter) then it really doesn't matter. Personally I'd start price shopping and see what's out there. :)
  • tnqnt
    Options
    Thanks guys! :) I think I am going to go with the Vitamix - have heard all good things! Just need to narrow down the model, now!!
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My ninja pulse has a crack I just discovered yesterday. I'm drooling over the Vitamix. My question is how well do they clean? I can never scrape stuff out of the ninja well because of all of the plastic seams and crevices. Is the Vitamix dishwasher safe?
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »
    My ninja pulse has a crack I just discovered yesterday. I'm drooling over the Vitamix. My question is how well do they clean? I can never scrape stuff out of the ninja well because of all of the plastic seams and crevices. Is the Vitamix dishwasher safe?

Cleaning is easy peasy and you don't need to put in the dishwasher. Immediately after use, just add hot water, a dash of dish soap, put on lid, place on base and blend all the gunk out! You might need to take a brush to make sure there's not any residue, but it's an amazingly effective cleaning method.

• tnqnt
    Options

Cleaning is easy peasy and you don't need to put in the dishwasher. Immediately after use, just add hot water, a dash of dish soap, put on lid, place on base and blend all the gunk out! You might need to take a brush to make sure there's not any residue, but it's an amazingly effective cleaning method.

Hi!

Thanks for your input! Which Vitamix do you have?
  • tnqnt
    Options

Me too! I am looking at the Pro 300 or the Pro 750.... which ones are you thinking of?
    Williams Sonoma has 20% off today and tomorrow!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Vitamin is what all fine dining professional restaurants use to blend your soups and sauces.

They are extremely expensive, but you're paying for the horsepower and durability.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    tnqnt wrote: »

Hi!

Thanks for your input! Which Vitamix do you have?

I bought mine from Costco five years ago, it's actually an older model and they've revamped them since I bought mine, the knobs are a bit different.

With my teenagers making thick as ice cream, smoothies, that says something about the durability. ;)

• crystal_leann2001
    crystal_leann2001 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Looking to replace my Ninja - it just isn't cutting it anymore.
    I am interested in either a Vitamix or a Blendtec.

Which models do you have? Recommend? Not like?

Looking for power to break down to seed level.

Also, are the bells and whistles important? Why?

thanks in advance.

I have had a Vitamix for around 3 years, love it! I have made smoothies, salsas, dressings, ice cream, soup, peanut butter, pretty much anything you could imagine. Mine came with the dry blade at no extra cost so I suggest looking for a promotion where you can get it free since some posts are saying they had to pay extra for theirs. I previously used a Ninja but didn't care for the way it left my strawberries/blackberries & such. As far as cleaning it , it's actually very easy. The worst I've had is after having peanut butter in it lol Seriously you cant go wrong, I would recommend it to anyone!
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Me too! I am looking at the Pro 300 or the Pro 750.... which ones are you thinking of?
    Williams Sonoma has 20% off today and tomorrow!

Not sure yet. I love the S series with the 2 go cups but it doesn't come with larger container options. Just started shopping and not ready to plunk down $500 yet. Yes they're expensive but my $100 ninjas break every 2 years. On the other hand, my pricy Kitchenaid mixer has been with me 17 years. I'm a believer that you get what you pay for at least in kitchen appliances!
  • socajam
    Options
    The Vitamix sold at Costco are the older models. - they do not fit under the kitchen cabinets as the newer ones does. Just a thought.
  • socajam
    Options
    DO NOT put your Vitamix in the dishwasher - it is not recommended. It is very easy to clean. A little dish liquid, some warm water, blend together, rinse and the container is clean.
  • megpie41
    megpie41 Posts: 164 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    We have a Vitamix 6300 from Costco. It's great having the option of manual control or the preset settings. We have the standard tall container. I have read/heard that the new, shorter container does not pull the food into the blades quite as well as the tall container. You can't go wrong with a Vitamix. Check the Vitamix website...they sell reconditioned blenders for $250 or so. My sister just bought one and it works like it was brand new.