I miss binge eating. Sometimes

Options
Is that weird? I've gotten to the point where I really don't have cravings and when I think back to when I was really fat and depressed and ate whatever I wanted, I recognize that as a crappy time in my life. But those times when I had a day off and could just lounge around and order a big fat pizza with every topping and have a side of wings AND chocolate lava crunch cake! And just chill with my comfort food and watch Netflix all day with the fam and maybe even make plans to go eat somewhere. Ah man. I kinda miss that.

I think it's the experience I miss. The not worrying. The "ok. Go ahead!" Relaxed attitude I had. I still eat whatever I want in moderation, but it's still in moderation. I still can't eat until I'm stuffed like a piñata. I still have to count everything that goes in my mouth. I still have to be choosy when it comes to what I get.

But those times...I won't go back to them, but I sure do miss em sometimes. I guess I'm weird

Replies

• Stressedby8
    Stressedby8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Not wierd at all. I miss them too. I don't miss the bloating and food hangover the next day though!
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I miss being able to binge sometimes too. I also eat everything I want in moderation, but I miss being able to eat and eat and eat with no concern for the calories sometimes.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's not weird. Missed it for a long, long time. I'd look forward to having a little something that wasn't good for me. I think that it's pretty normal. :)

I think most people miss things for a while, if not forever.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I never binged, but I did miss being able to go to an all-you-can-eat restaurant and actually being able to eat all I can eat. I missed being able to go to a BBQ or party or something and just eat and enjoy the food and not worry about how many calories was in it. I missed choosing restaurants based on what I wanted to eat, and not based on which ones publish their calories.

So once I got close to my goal weight I decided that if I was going to a special event, or even just going out for a meal, I would forget about calorie counting for that meal. While losing the majority of the weight I lost I would stick to one plate at the buffet, now I allow myself to eat whatever I want again. I think unless you're likely to slip back into bad habits, as long as you make sure you're in your calories most of the time, there's nothing wrong with the odd meal where you completely ignore calories and eat what you want.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's weird. I miss it too sometimes. it tasted good and I didn't stress about everything that went into my mouth. what I don't miss is the uncomfortable overly-full feeling, the bloating, the inevitable regret, and the helpless feeling of being trapped in an uncomfortable giant meat suit, knowing I did it to myself by not having the willpower to say "no." even though I still don't like my body and I miss stuffing my face with whatever I was in the mood for I never want to go back to that :-)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I get what you mean but that sounds less like binge eating and more like plain old over indulgence.

Eating can be a very pleasurable event - the anticipation, the social side of it, the contentment, the regulation of mood so I think you are spot on when you talk about missing "the experience."
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I still occasionally have those days where I eat whatever I want, or I tell myself I can. The difference now is that I feel guilty when I do it, which makes it less enjoyable.
  • YolliB2014
    YolliB2014 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I get exactly what you are talking about. I've been at this, seriously, for over a year and I do let myself splurge a little when I go out. I do miss the days when I could eat with reckless abandon, but like others have said... The bloating, discomfort, upset tummy, it's just not worth it anymore. But miss it ~ Oh I sure do!!!