Alternatives for potato chips?

Options

Replies

• Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Pretzels! 22 pretzels (Great Value brand) is only 120 calories & 1 gram of fat.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Those are awesome! I love the Pecan ones. With bleu cheese. ;)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Baked cajun chickpeas, definitely my crunchy snack of choice
    White Cheddar Skinny Pop
    Baked butternut squash chunks
    Beef Jerky
    Pintobean chips from Whole Foods
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 808 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
  • MtnGirl38
    MtnGirl38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Quest Protein Chips? They definitely don't taste like Lays but are much like the Baked Lays....and are super crunchy.
  • MsJulesRenee
    Options
    MtnGirl38 wrote: »
    Have you tried the Quest Protein Chips? They definitely don't taste like Lays but are much like the Baked Lays....and are super crunchy.

What aisle are they usually in at the grocery store, I never seen them before but I don't go down the chip aisle too much anymore.
  • cadaters
    cadaters Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Best recipe for healthy alternative that's easy to make. It's also super simple and few ingredients.

-eggs whites
    -water
    -low fat cheese
    -salt

Take your egg whites and dilute just a smidge with water. Pour a thin layer into a muffin pan (spray with cooking oil if it is not a non-stick pan). Sprinkle a little pinch of cheese onto each layer and a touch of salt (salt optional). Cook in your oven at 350. Cooking time varies on the thickness of the layer. Anywhere from 5-15 mins, just keep an eye on it and check often. They make crunchy little chips that have hardly any calorie content. Enjoy :D
  • Sevend7
    Sevend7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    just have some when you get them elsewhere. By not buying them you cant binge on them late at night when they do the most damage. Replacing something you really want with some sorry substitute will just leave you unsatisfied and still eating calories so you are almost wasting them
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is kind of a substitute. But that dry, salty, crispy crunchiness is really hard to replace. I want some chips now...
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I like Bare apple chips. They're a bit expensive in opinion but I figure they're healthier than buying a extra large bag of potato chips. I also munch on veggies (peppers, snap peas are my fave) and I do like the Special K chips but I'm trying to resist less than stellar carbs right now.

I eat apple chips too, but I make them myself. I use a variation of the recipe on Sally's Baking addiction. http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/07/22/baked-cinnamon-apple-chips/

I don't use the sugar and for the apples I like to use pink ladies or honey crisps.
  • 95savvy
    95savvy Posts: 114 Member
    Options

What aisle are they usually in at the grocery store, I never seen them before but I don't go down the chip aisle too much anymore.

you probably wont find them at your local grocery store. i've only seen them in nutritional stores like GNC or vitamin shope
  • ThatGirl_1968
    ThatGirl_1968 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great....now I'm craving something salty and crunchy! lol That is definitely my weakness far and above sweets. I've been substituting carrots and a veggie dip in my lunch for a healthier option, but if I want something chip like my go to's are BBQ Popchips (serving size of 20 chips is great!); Cheddar Quakes mini rice cakes and Triscuits. I buy the single serving size of 'real' potato chips for my kids to help with their portion control (and I don't have to reach my hand into a bag of chips when packing their lunches!)
  • MsJulesRenee
    Options
    95savvy wrote: »

you probably wont find them at your local grocery store. i've only seen them in nutritional stores like GNC or vitamin shope

For sure, thanks!
  • kendallvon
    kendallvon Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    wasabi peas. They're salty, sweet, crunchy and a little spicy.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    kendallvon wrote: »

I was just going to say wasabi peas. I'm snacking on them at my desk right now. They're not low sodium, or particularly low cal though. (The 30 gram serving I weighed out this morning is ~ 130 calories.) But I am an aggressive snacker and love the crunch. Plus the spiciness slows me down and I enjoy them more.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    jcow84 wrote: »
    I love baked chickpeas!

As I can't do grains, most of the other suggestions are out, but I make these, too. With honey and cinnamon. Yum!
  • briana12077
    briana12077 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! I buy this low cal sea salt popcorn its about 30-40 cals a cup and 130 for 3.5 cups. Its satisfying for crunchy and salty cravings and also for the fact that you can sit and munch on them for a bit
  • droxee
    droxee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    jcow84 wrote: »
    I love baked chickpeas!

As I can't do grains, most of the other suggestions are out, but I make these, too. With honey and cinnamon. Yum!

This is a great suggestion!! Sounds super tasty. I feel like I may have a small issue with grains as well: I notice a difference in my skin, and I tend to be sleeper throughout the day. I was thinking about trying Paleo but... Cake... xD
  • droxee
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    kendallvon wrote: »

But I am an aggressive snacker and love the crunch. Plus the spiciness slows me down and I enjoy them more.

I might give these a try. What brand do you like?

Also thumbs up for "aggressive snacker" (me too c:)

• droxee
    Options
    Great....now I'm craving something salty and crunchy! lol That is definitely my weakness far and above sweets. I've been substituting carrots and a veggie dip in my lunch for a healthier option, but if I want something chip like my go to's are BBQ Popchips (serving size of 20 chips is great!); Cheddar Quakes mini rice cakes and Triscuits. I buy the single serving size of 'real' potato chips for my kids to help with their portion control (and I don't have to reach my hand into a bag of chips when packing their lunches!)

Me too!! I'd take fried / salty / crunchy over sweets any day. I like the idea of having snack sized bags around, although I think it would be easier if I had kids because the supply would go down faster than I can reach for them? Haha I can't stand rice cakes for some reason, but I'll rediscover Triscuits on my next grocery store trip c: Thanks!!