Any Dairy Free tips and easy recipes

Options
GemmaGx
GemmaGx Posts: 13 Member
Hello everyone, just being tested for dairy intolerance. Being trying to cut out dairy with alternatives but finding it in everything. I have been feeling so uncomfortable for ages. So any help, tips and advice much appreciated.

Gemma x

Replies

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Probably going to be the most popular answer but...almond milk - changed my life. You can use it to swap for milk in almost every recipe. If you don't like almonds you have coconut milk, cashew milk, soy milk, etc. There's soy yogurt, soy or almond milk ice cream, whipped cream. Vegan cheese slices. Almost every chain coffee shops now carry at least one non-dairy creamers. Sorbet instead of dairy ice cream when you go out. Pretty sure last time I went to the grocery store I found lactose free cow's milk.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything from a box or from the dairy isle= problem solved. Plus stuff in a box is highly processed with next to zero nutritional value.
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I preferred to switch recipes rather than use alternatives, since I liked so few of the alternatives and they tended to be expensive... almond milk and Tofutti's sour cream alternative are exceptions.
    If you cook, look at vegan websites for recipes. Zero thought required as to whether or not you can make any of the recipes you find.
    If you want prepared meals too, look into Indian and Thai foods. Chickpea curry is one of my favorites (some brands are higher fat than others), and you can put it over rice, top it with Tofutti's Better Than Sour Cream (which my eat-everthing-husband also loves), and quickly add about any bag of frozen veggies you can steam quickly for a complete meal. Vegetable korma is good too.
    & hummus replaced cheese in my book while I was vegan. Fresh cilantro jalepeno hummus is fantastic.
  • GemmaGx
    Options
    Hi everyone, Thank you for your replies. I have found a few alternatives. I have to say most soya milks actually are too sweet for me but I have found a plain unsweetened one from Asda that I like and use. I also like the idea of using vegan recipes. I have tried to cut out most dairy and waiting for the doctor to confirm for sure. I still think I may have more than just a dairy intolerencr so it maybe that I have to go on a specific diet to determine what else I am intolerent too. I try not to eat processed food but let's face it its hard to just avoid half the shop. There must be loads of little dairy free sercets
    Hidden in the super market.

Gemma x
  • hanbanan78
    hanbanan78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just wrote you a really long reply and it disappeared before posting - aargh!! Will try and recap in brief...

Milk - Koko coconut milk is a good alternative to milk in cereals, tea/coffee and baking, Alpro's organic soya milk is unsweetened, and my personal favourite is Rude Health's almond milk (sadly not cheap)

Yoghurt - numerous soya varieties out there including Alpro and Sojade. Also try Coyo - coconut yoghurt (quite rich and creamy)

Spreads - try the Pure range, or use coconut/olive oil on toast

Avocado and hummus are great for sandwiches/toast if you are looking for alternatives to cheese - try avocado, tahini and a sprinkling of dried chilli flakes or hummus & marmite (yummy, honestly!)

Use soya or oat milk cream in recipes that call for single/double cream and you can use silken tofu or avocado for creamy desserts (sounds weird, but can work!)

If you want a treat, try Booja Booja truffles - yummy, dairy-free (but expensive). They also do an ice-cream alternative made with cashew nuts and agave syrup or you can get Almond Dream ice cream (made with almond milk) in Waitrose (and perhaps elsewhere). Alpro also do quite nice chocolate desserts and custard. Also try Sojade chocolate desserts. Yummy (I think) and not too sweet.

Plamil do chocolate spreads etc and Meridian do amazing nut butters (another great thing for sandwiches and toast).

I have got loads of dairy-free recipes and if you tell me what kind of food you like I can post a few... Or, as someone else suggested, Google - there's so much out there. Even Jamie Oliver has a dairy-free/vegan section on his website. Try Little Miss Meat-Free, Coconut & Berries, Demuth's (veggie but has plenty of dairy-free recipes) or Flexitarian (just a few UK based ones I can think of off the top of my head). Hugh Fearnely-Whittingstall has a dairy-free recipe book called Light & Easy (I think...) and Anna Jones' cookbook A Modern Way to Eat is wonderful. Totally recommend it. Really tasty food. Vegetarian Living is a nice magazine and has loads of dairy-free recipes or suggestions for alternatives.

Hope that all helps!
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    hanbanan78 wrote: »
    Just wrote you a really long reply and it disappeared before posting - aargh!! Will try and recap in brief...

Milk - Koko coconut milk is a good alternative to milk in cereals, tea/coffee and baking, Alpro's organic soya milk is unsweetened, and my personal favourite is Rude Health's almond milk (sadly not cheap)

Koko is the best!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I like unsweetened almond milk. For a treat I highly recommend Larry and Luna's Coconut Bliss ice cream - let it soften for a few minutes and it tastes just like ice cream. The only alternative cheese I've liked is Daiya shredded mozzarella.
  • GemmaGx
    Options
    I like unsweetened almond milk. For a treat I highly recommend Larry and Luna's Coconut Bliss ice cream - let it soften for a few minutes and it tastes just like ice cream. The only alternative cheese I've liked is Daiya shredded mozzarella.

Where can I buy the coconut bliss ice cream? This so nds like it could be right up my street! Love coconut ice cream!

hanbanan78 what a fantastic reply!

Loads of fantastic ideas here. Thank you so much for taking the time. I have discovered a few already but some new ones on me. Although some are expensive I will always be able to ask for some dairy free chocolates for Christmas. I don't eat much chocolate really so be a treat. Love the humous on toast idea and will be buying some shortly!

I only ever eat cream cheese, cottage cheese, and occassionally sprinkle cheddar on my pasta. Oh and cheese on pizza. I am not a big cheese fan like some are so its not a big problem for me. Although I love pizza! This may become an issue for me.