How do you know what your macros should be

Options
Mersie1
Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
hi! I am looking to drop some weight (don't know how much as I'm really not focused on a exact number.) I've had all forms of eatin disorders for a really long time now. I'm 44. I just have up my nutrionist and therapist due to money. I'm here looking to get into a healthy, balanced routine. I've had issues w bingeing as well as starving myself. I don't want anything too extreme. I'm currently coming off of a period of more bingeing than restricting. It may be a blessing in disguise that I fractured my foot several wks ago so had to not workout like I was. Maybe tracking macros will be too potentially triggering for me as something new to become too obsessed w. I don't know. I was just curios how anyone knows even approx what to aim for. Any other advice on how I can support myself is greatly welcomed. Thanks so much!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Most people should just start out with counting calories and not worrying about macros. Many of us find that setting our protein to around .8 grams per pound of lean body mass is enough to keep us full without binge eating. That's also adequate protein to fuel our lean tissues. Fat is important for hormones and carbs are important for energy, but allowing them to fall where they naturally do will keep you from obsessing over those numbers.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! That helps!!!
  • ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well of course it depends on your goals and your needs. Put your carbs low, and protein and fats around equal say:

25%C, 35%P, 40%F

Or something like that. Google it "macro ratios for weight loss"
  • ThomasWright1997
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Most people should just start out with counting calories and not worrying about macros. Many of us find that setting our protein to around .8 grams per pound of lean body mass is enough to keep us full without binge eating. That's also adequate protein to fuel our lean tissues. Fat is important for hormones and carbs are important for energy, but allowing them to fall where they naturally do will keep you from obsessing over those numbers.

I disagree, I am obviously working towards a different goal but i wish i had started tracking macros a lot sooner. I'd have at least 10lbs more muscle. Besides, the sooner you do, the quicker you can just eyeball it and not have to track at all.

I'm 160lbs, and am always hungry on 200g of protein a day!

Inb4 hardgainer
  • ThomasWright1997
    Options
    The thing to do is google it, see how you feel after a week and change it about from there.Low carbs though
  • hippytee
    hippytee Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your aiming for, too many unrefined carbs can lead yo weight gain not loosing as it stays stores in the body longer, we need fats like omega 3 those found in. Nut ect not the ones found in ready meals cakes cookies ect to help with weight loss, protein to keep us feeling full and stop the binge eating help repair and build muscles,, look on the net under macros I'm sure you'll find yr ratio for your goal.