Guacamole alternative

Options
dumb_blondes_rock
dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
So i was looking up recipes that I was going to make for upcomming summer parties that were healthy and I would definantly not feel bad about taking seconds, and came upon this delicious looking dip.

Almost Guacamole

This tasty alternative to traditional guacamole has zero fat and fewer calories. From eatbetteramerica.

Prep Time:10 min

Start to Finish:1 hr 10 min

makes:16 servings (2 tablespoons each)

1 can (14.5 oz) Green Giant® reduced-sodium cut asparagus spears, drained

1 large tomato, seeded, chopped (1 cup)

1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)

2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro

2 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise or salad dressing

1 tablespoon lime juice

3 to 6 drops red pepper sauce

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

Baked tortilla chips, if desired

1. In blender or food processor, blend asparagus on medium speed until smooth.

2. In medium glass or plastic bowl, mix asparagus and remaining ingredients except tortilla chips. Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors. Serve with tortilla chips.

Nutritional Information
2 Tablespoons: Calories 5 (Calories from Fat 0); Total Fat 0g (Saturated Fat 0g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 30mg; Total Carbohydrate 0g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 0g); Protein 0g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 0%; Iron 0% Exchanges: Carbohydrate Choices: 0
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.

This looks scrumptious and I hope you all will enjoy....I got the recipe from www.eatbetteramerica.com

Replies

• nichole1027
    nichole1027 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katzav
    katzav Posts: 67
    Options
    sounds pretty good! thanx!
  • inafit16177
    inafit16177 Posts: 84
    Options
    BUMPPPPPP
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Bump.........love aspargus................mmmmmm:bigsmile:
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I add finely chopped iceberg lettuce (dont use really green parts) to real avocados to stretch the guacamole so you are not eating as many cals. Avocado is good for you.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump - sounds interesting, will have to try it!
  • cowpacino
    cowpacino Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    fats not bad for you, and avocado is one of the healthiest sources of fat around, you need fat for things like hair and nails, as well as absorption of some vitamins and minerals. Just be careful not to eat too many calories when you eat fat because fat has more calories per gram than carbs and protein. Just because it's called fat doesn't mean it makes you fat
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bump!~!!!~! thanks!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    fats not bad for you, and avocado is one of the healthiest sources of fat around, you need fat for things like hair and nails, as well as absorption of some vitamins and minerals. Just be careful not to eat too many calories when you eat fat because fat has more calories per gram than carbs and protein. Just because it's called fat doesn't mean it makes you fat

I know acocados are good for you, the problem is I love it and want like 6 avacados worth of guacamole in one sitting. So i wanted something i would feel a little less guilty about if i got out of control with it
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I bet you could actually add some avocado to this as well. Although it wouldn't be fat free anymore, you'd still have a lower cal version with some healthy fats!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but the fat in guacamole is from the AVOCADO which came straight from a tree that grew in the ground. No way is that bad for you. Just grind it up with some onions, tomatoes, reduced fat or fat free sour cream, lemon and lime juices, salt and pepper. Aint no GOOD alternative for guac!
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Lakelady48
    Lakelady48 Posts: 14
    Options
    I made this recipe years ago and it does taste amazingly like avocado. I agree, real avocado is healthy but sometimes I just don't want that many calories.
  • regentin
    regentin Posts: 60
    Options
    bump! can't wait to try this!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    I made this recipe years ago and it does taste amazingly like avocado. I agree, real avocado is healthy but sometimes I just don't want that many calories.
    did you add hot sauce to it? because my dad is so tongue sensative that i was thinking about skipping that part, but didn't know if it affected the whole taste of the dip
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Heather3186
    Options
    yum!