Cardio or weights for getting the lbs off???

Options
Hi, I am only interested in losing weight (for now) and getting my fitness level up so i'm not out of breath at ridiculously small exercises! And I only really do cardio at the gym (x-trainer, cycling, treadmill) but people have suggested I do weight exercises too, or even instead of cardio exercises altogether.

Anyone got any advice?

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Do both.

You won't regret it.

You don't have to pick a side ;)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Diet first, but a combination of both is best. It doesn't have to be an either or. You could do only one or only the other, and still get results, but it's all going to boil down to what you eat too.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    As above moderating food comsumption first, but otherwise its both cardio and weights as they do different things which complement each other.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Both will increase your overall fitness and aid in your weightloss.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner (have the ability to hit higher weights every time you hit the gym) you can loss fat and gain muscle. Do both like @rybo said it will help you out more.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I concentrated on my diet initially, and then worked on my core stability and strength using pilates. Only when I was improving doing that did I add in cardio. Now, 8 weeks in, I'm adding strength training into the mix. For me, overweight and VERY unfit, this was the right thing for me to do. I didn't want to start strength training, constantly worried that it would exacerbate my bad back. Now though, I've seen a huge improvement in my core strength, I still have a long way to go with cardio fitness, but I feel it's the right time to start strength training too. In a usual work-out, I'm doing 50/50 cardio/strength. I utilised my gym's service of a trainer putting together a progressive work-out routine, and taking me through equipement set-up etc - is that something you can do at your's? It definitely helped me not get overwhelmed at not knowing which weight machines I should use, and how to use them safely and to the maximum effect. I only use 3-4 different stations, and haven't started on free weights just yet. Again, I'm definitely in the 'small steps' camp, it works for me!
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns fat. You will look and feel better with a program that incorporates both. You also should not only have a calorie goal, but it should be an appropriate mix of healthy fats, healthy carbs (eat your veggies) and protein. I like Chalean Extreme from Beachbody for beginner and intermediate. This is a balanced program that should meet your goals right now.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Both, but no matter how many marathons you run or how much you can bench press losing fat requires eating at a caloric deficit.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Diet is primary, add others have said.

After that, 80% lifting, 20% cardio would be my recommendation.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Got to do both but diet is most important.
  • cozworth
    cozworth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way, cardio burns fat while you are doing it. Lifting weights adds muscle. Muscle burns calories ALL DAY. So, roughly speaking, the more muscle you have the less cardio you will need to do to maintain your weight. If you really want to dig into this issue there is a little more you could read up on but that is the 10 second version. But, as others have said, the most important exercise is pushing yourself away from the fridge when you about eat something your shouldn't.

Even if you only add a little bit of muscle (think muscle tone - not bulk) I think you will notice the improvement in your weight loss. Good luck!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Why not both?
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    So-called cardio exercise is the most efficient at burning calories - which then adds to your daily calorie deficit, making it easier to lose weight. My understanding is the two cardio exercises which are most effective for burning calories are cross-country skiing, followed by running.

Strength training is great, but doesn't burn nearly as many calories as cardio. However, there is the argument to be made that if you have muscle mass, you're more likely to raise your TDEE even when you're not particularly active. Also, muscle mass helps prevent injuries, and (particularly when your body fat percentage is low) looks just plain awesome. :smile:

I don't currently do weights because of a series of injuries and some degenerative joint issues I've suffered over the last few years, but it's definitely in my plans to get back to it. I'm getting very skinny very fast and I'd love to see some muscle definition, now that I don't have a layer of blubber covering up my muscles.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    diet to get the weight off.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    your diet is going to have far more impact on your weight management than what exercise you're doing. diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.

i've been maintaining for over two years...I cycle on average about 60 - 80 miles per week...I run a couple of 5Ks per week...I lift 2-3x per week...walk my dog, etc. I did this when I was losing weight...I'm not maintaining weight...and I've gained weight doing all of that. The difference between losing, maintaining, and gaining isn't my exercise...it is my calories in.

as a matter of general fitness, you should do both cardiovascular work for your cardiovascular health and resistance training for your muscular skeletal health.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    74d183c75dca7e11ee50599c5485fe09.gif
  • jami53033
    jami53033 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do both. I am definitely in love with high intensity training. I noticed at one point I plateaued and had to switch it up. My diet has always been good also. When I added hiit with dieting I noticed the weight was coming off.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    So-called cardio exercise is the most efficient at burning calories - which then adds to your daily calorie deficit, making it easier to lose weight. My understanding is the two cardio exercises which are most effective for burning calories are cross-country skiing, followed by running.

Strength training is great, but doesn't burn nearly as many calories as cardio. However, there is the argument to be made that if you have muscle mass, you're more likely to raise your TDEE even when you're not particularly active. Also, muscle mass helps prevent injuries, and (particularly when your body fat percentage is low) looks just plain awesome. :smile:

I don't currently do weights because of a series of injuries and some degenerative joint issues I've suffered over the last few years, but it's definitely in my plans to get back to it. I'm getting very skinny very fast and I'd love to see some muscle definition, now that I don't have a layer of blubber covering up my muscles.

Doing cardio to chase down excess calories is not imo a productive cycle to start. Get your calories in in line then add calories as needed to support your exercise while maintaining a deficit, assuming weight loss is the goal.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT or cardio for helping my asthma ( whole cardiovascular system) and lifting to hold onto muscle.
    None of them would make much a difference if I hadn't gotten the calories under control (27lbs down since May).
    Start in the kitchen and work from there.
  • cruzmom123
    cruzmom123 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Do both! I made the mistake of only doing cardio, I dropped 40 pounds but became "skinny fat". Now I am lifting weights to tone up my body!