Barefoot running shoes?

Options
I'm in need of some new running trainers, i have heard of these bare foot runnning shoes, such as the five finger bikila etc. Does anyone use these type of trainers that could review them for me?

Replies

• craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I don't have a pair yet, but was looking at purchasing the Reebok Reelflex shoes. They are a minimalist shoe. Barefoot running takes a long time to get used to, and I have been doing some foot-strengthening exercises to prepare myself. I found that when I run, I do a mid-foot strike and maybe that is why I am having issues with my legs since I am not wearing the correct shoes. I also bought a book called Chi Running to change my form.
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hi - I have Five Finger Bikila LS's and I love them to death. I've had them for a few months but have not been training as often as I was in my previous shoes so my mileage is not very high in them yet. One thing to note, you have to build up slowly in them. The first time you wear them for a run shouldn't be too long and keep an eye on your pace. You'll feel muscle usage where you hadn't previously. It will be awhile before your feet and legs are strong enough to withstand running in them full time.

On another note, I was plagued by injuries - shin splints, plantar fascitis, etc with my old runners but have not had them return since I bought my Vibrams :) I think I used to be a mid-foot striker but now notice that I'm striking more to my forefoot these days.

Hope that helps!
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I have the Vibram 5-Finger KSO and love them! I just ran a 5k a few weeks ago and felt great. They do take about a month to really get used to, and you need to retrain yourself how to run and walk. Once you do, you're unstoppable!

I did a review of the shoes I have here:

http://zmanfitness.com/vibrams-or-how-i-learned-to-run-naked

http://zmanfitness.com/first-5k-in-the-5-fingers
  • libstr
    libstr Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ive been reading about barefoot running/chi running and my concern was plantar facitis.... I have this and wear orthotics in some of my shoes.

It comes and goes and when I run my feet ache by the end of several kms.

I am keen to hear from other people who have found with time their feet/legs improve. I understand the importance of building up time wearing a different style of shoe and infact a new style of running.
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    heard they are difficult to get used to... several ppl i kno are using them but IDK... not sure i even want to... I just got adida climacool and I really love them.. very light...
  • forthefab5
    Options
    Ive been reading about barefoot running/chi running and my concern was plantar facitis.... I have this and wear orthotics in some of my shoes.

Hi - I had this problem with my last shoes - I had a pair of New Balances and I had orthotics in them also. After using my Vibrams for the first week, this was no longer an issue! I think it has something to do with how running barefoot style helps your feet to become stronger. I felt muscle soreness at first but the pain just went away...
  • libstr
    Options

Hi - I had this problem with my last shoes - I had a pair of New Balances and I had orthotics in them also. After using my Vibrams for the first week, this was no longer an issue! I think it has something to do with how running barefoot style helps your feet to become stronger. I felt muscle soreness at first but the pain just went away...

I wear asics kayanos and the weird thing is that I cant wear my orthotics when i am exersizing.... I wear them in my old asics that i use when im out and about.

think im going to look seriously at barefooting
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm looking to get a pair of barefoot shoes too and I just looked at ****ssportinggoods.com and they have a few options too.
    Do the Vibram users wear socks when running?
  • pjrisher
    pjrisher Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm looking to get a pair of barefoot shoes too and I just looked at ****ssportinggoods.com and they have a few options too.

HAHAH.. the popular sporting goods store.
  • libstr
    Options
    there is toe socks for the five finger shoes.....
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I have the hardest time finding shoes! My husband and I both bought some of the barefoot running shoes...I took mine back. I liked them, they were comfortable, and I liked running in them. But they were not very good depending on the terrain. I went out in them for a 8 mile walk, and burned my feet because they didn't give enough protection from the hot road. I also had problems when I would walk off the road, even though I got the all terrain ones, I had to constantly stop to pick goat heads etc out. I live in the more rual part of Arizona, so these kinds of problems would annoy me if I had to deal with them every day. So I just took them back. My husband loves his, but he's only worn them on the local track.

I liked them, but I guess they just didn't work for me because of where I live.
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have five finger KSOs and I've switched over to wearing Injinji (toe socks) with them. Just to try and watch out for the skin on my feet (from drying out) and to help decrease the stinky-ness of my KSOs
  • forthefab5
    Options
    I have the Vibram 5-Finger KSO and love them! I just ran a 5k a few weeks ago and felt great. They do take about a month to really get used to, and you need to retrain yourself how to run and walk. Once you do, you're unstoppable!

I did a review of the shoes I have here:

http://zmanfitness.com/vibrams-or-how-i-learned-to-run-naked

http://zmanfitness.com/first-5k-in-the-5-fingers

Great reviews!
  • jonbobfrog
    jonbobfrog Posts: 294
    Options
    As soon as I have a job and can afford a pair, I'm getting some Vibrams!
  • forthefab5
    Options

Hi - yes, they're stocking them at more and more places these days - I bought the Bikila LS's because they are specifically for running (although I do use them for other purposes) and because of the laces. I tried on a pair of regular Bikila's and they were a little tight across the top of my foot. It's good to get fitted for them for this reason and also to make sure your toes fit in well :)

As for the socks, yes, they're called Injinji's (as someone already mentioned). They're a little pricey for socks though so I just wear mine and put them in the wash every so often...
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Btw I just realized last night that I have to retire my first pair...the rubber wore out on one of the toes. So after a while you might want to start inspecting them, granted I had sewed the seam on the top of both of my KSOs so I do tend to use them for as long as I can so far...
  • nikki_zav
    nikki_zav Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I can google...but looking for recommendations from everyone here. What is a good resource for plans on transitioning into barefoot / minimalist shoe running? The more I read, the more I plateau at my current running pace, and the more I desire to be an overall stronger runner to help enhance every other part of my health, the more it just makes sense to do this.

Thanks for the advise and help!
  • libstr
    Options
    I spoke to a friend of mine who is training to be a podiatrist and he says that they are really good. I have the plantar facistis and will have to build up my wearing time and he warns me I might get a flare up of my condition until I strengthen m feet and legs.

now i have to decide one which ones i want... there are 3 vibrams.... a sprint and a KSO one is like a fuller foot and the other has a strap across it..... there is also one that looks like a proper runner with laces but with the toes....

any thoughts people?? look at ebay!! careful though they are real vibrams
  • newt1975
    newt1975 Posts: 23
    Options
    the Bikila LS look very cool and I would be interested in trying them, but I have reservations about buying them. I have a tendency to underpronate on my right foot due to ligament and tendon damage from when I boke my leg....... I do sprain my right ankle occasionally, when I do I can't walk properly for a week and I can't run for about 2-3 weeks......
    Having said that I would probably wear them for walking and other recreational activities.......
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options