How did you get back on track?

Options
So, my goal was to get through Christmas and keep my weight loss going, which I did (yay!). BUT... I went off the rails in February and although I have been logging (mostly. I KNOW! Ugh), my 30 pound loss is now only a 19 pound loss.

So... How did you get past the frustration ? I am finding that the mental block is the worst. I was going to the gym 5 days a week, lately it's only once. I am eating the same things I was losing on but the exercise is lacking. Help!!

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Kick your own butt back into gear. No one can do that for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    live, eat, and play for life and health...overall wellness. your weight is just a bi-product of the life you live. people put so much energy into the number on the scale...IMO, people would be far better off simply focusing on their health and overall well being and doing the things healthy and fit people do.
  • FlexxxMachine
    FlexxxMachine Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »

Exactly. You get out what you put in. Everyday you need to ask yourself how bad you want to achieve your goals. Every time you eat, every time you don't feel like working out: "how bad do I want to have the body I've always wanted?" Good luck.
  • Superdave24
    Superdave24 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone said above me. I just got tired of being tired, gaining weight and just feeling blah. Try this for a motivator......watch Extreme Weight loss with Chris Powell, it actually inspires me when I feel like I'm about to get lazy and sort of dragging. Also, put motivational photos or sayings on your mirror to see all the time. Good luck.
  • jmy1975
    jmy1975 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you want to get back in to exercise, find something you like doing and set the time aside. That way it is something enjoyable rather than a chore. I had to mix mine up recently since I get bored and stopped exercising as much. Also I agree to think of it as improving health and not decreasing weight (that can be a side effect). Maybe start a challenge to increase weight or number of squats or time holding plank to at least do something. Or just get out and walk.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

Yep.

Just do it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

that.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Try setting a small goal for yourself and put it on your calendar. Be honest with yourself and make it something that you can do. This might help jump-start your motivation.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It helps me to focus on one moment at a time, as opposed to a week or even a day. So, instead of thinking "I'll be good this week", I'll say "I'll track this bit of food I'm eating right now". Also, when I get frustrated and just eat without weighing or measuring, I find it's easier to get back on track if I guesstimate at what I ate and still track it once I've "sobered up" so a meal off the wagon doesn't turn into a day (or weekend or week or month) off the wagon.

For working out, it helps me to exercise in the morning when the only excuse is an extra hour of sleep (as opposed to work, family, errands, etc. in the evening). It's summer, so it helps me to keep my window shade open at night so the sun wakes me up earlier. It is also really helpful if I lay out my workout clothes and gym bag (with my work clothes, makeup, etc.) the night before. Otherwise, it's easier to find excuses and/or just putter around gathering things for the hour I'm supposed to be exercising.

For both exercise and logging, there's a certain element of Nike's "Just do it".

Finally, know that you're not alone in your struggles! I battle the same lack of motivation constantly and I find it gets even harder after I've lost a bit because I'm not so disgusted with my weight as when I'm at my max. You can do this, though, one moment at a time!

Good luck! :smile:
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Just remember you only need to get a couple of good days under your belt, then it' so much easier because you feel committed and like you're making progress and it becomes habit again. Just force yourself to start.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Decide today exactly which days you will go to the gym each week and stick to it. Tell yourself you don't skip scheduled workouts. Just like you don't skip out on work, or daily showers (I hope).
  • Rayedar
    Rayedar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just remember you only need to get a couple of good days under your belt, then it' so much easier because you feel committed and like you're making progress and it becomes habit again. Just force yourself to start.

Thank you :) I feel grateful that I am catching myself before it got too bad, but the idea of all that work down the crapper sucks. Feeling breathless at karate last week definitely sucked and feeling so much better just six months ago is a definite motivator.

• jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You have to tell yourself.................Yes. Set yourself up to be able to say yes. Not to say no all the time. I try to have all my calories properly spread out, so I can have a treat at night. Either a drink or an ice cream bar. I say YES TO ICE CREAM! :wink: If you are constantly telling yourself no, you'll feel deprived. So, find something to say YES to!
  • muziique
    muziique Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had to tell myself to take healthy eating and exercise as seriously as I do going to work everyday. I set a workout schedule and stick to it. I switch up my aerobics classes so that I never get bored and switch up my routines if I'm using just machines at the gym.And most of all I was patient, it takes time to make it a habit and get over the mental setbacks. I started with at least 3 days at the gym and increased to 5-6 times per week. It's never too late to start back up again. You just have to set your goals, be patient with yourself and believe you deserve it and can do it! Take it one day at a time. That's what works for me now.Best of luck to you!!
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Go back into your logs to the time where you were really, really losing weight and very successful. Copy everything you did for one week. At the end of the week, you are going to feel good, see results and want to keep going. At least that is what I did.
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing about MFP is you don't have to exercise to lose weight. I think your main issue is the inconsistent logging- I know you said you mostly do, but if you don't have a huge deficit you have to be pretty accurate about it.

I lost all my weight (just under 18 lbs so far) with no exercise other than walking. Granted, I live in a city and have a somewhat active job, so I usually log between 10,000-17,000 steps 5-6 days a week. But I hate going to the gym, so the thought of having to count calories AND go workout was too much for me. Now that I've just got 2 lbs to my goal weight, I've started taking yoga 2x a week for health and fitness purposes.

I suppose my point is if going to the gym 5x a week is not a priority right now or just something you don't want to do, maybe try just tightening up your logging and you should still see a loss. You could also try setting a more attainable gym goal, like 2-3 times a week. Good luck!
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well I could barely get my *kitten* into size 6 pants after I got back from Vegas. I got rid of all my fat pants so I lived in leggings or was uncomfortable all day. I also refused to buy a bigger size so that was a huge motivator for me lol. They fit again! :D
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options

This is the best advice. I read this a couple of days ago and yesterday told myself all I needed was one day. Anyone can do something for just one day, right? It felt so good going to bed last night knowing I had accomplished my goal. Today is day two and all I need is today. Not looking any further than that.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Cut your calories back and forget about the gym for now. Just scale back, improve your diet. You can't force motivation on yourself. It will come back but worrying about it will not help your diet i think.