Have a lot of weight to use and really need support

Options
phillypretzel
phillypretzel Posts: 11 Member
edited July 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hello,
I have been dieting my entire life. The weight would come off rather easily until I hit my mid 40's. Now, I am a little more than chunky.

After doing a lot of reading, I've discovered that I might have what is referred to as Metabolism B and have become insulin resistant. I spoke with my doctor about this and he agrees that I need to make to radical shift in what I eat.

SO, I started reading labels and discovered the beans I was using for protein (Vegetarian) were loaded with carbs. Add that to the bread and other so called low carbs, I was a train wreck.

I'm in week two and started tracking everything I put into my mouth on this site. Since I'm in the beginning stages, it's not too hard but I am sure I will be tempted to fall off the wagon at some point.

Any guidance and support you can give, it would be appreciated. I will be here to support whoever is in need as well.

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you like beans (for chilis, burritos, whatever) and you're trying to avoid carbs, try black soybeans. Eden sells them by the can, you can also find dry versions of this on the internet.
  • soozquu
    soozquu Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you need some support, feel free to add me as a friend. I have quite a bit of weight still to lose and I plan on being here for the long haul.
  • phillypretzel
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestion for bean alternatives DrEnalg. I have not tried soybeans and will look them up. For the time being, I am trying to get my metabolism back on track then adopt a low car plan.

Soozquu, thank you for the offer.
  • wwh140
    wwh140 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi. You can add me if you'd like. I'm here for a long time myself. I've got a lot of pounds to shed. Good luck on your journey!
  • jenzie74
    jenzie74 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a big girl and have a long journey to go through too. You can add me for support and such.
  • red12311
    red12311 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi :smile: Add me if you like. I am now in my second week and it helps a lot logging on and knowing others are there for you. I also have ALOT of weight to lose and have struggled for years.
  • phillypretzel
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. Here's what I have been doing and it seems to be working.....however slowly. Every day, I am walking and am now incorporating weights 1 or 2 days a week. Some mornings, I skip breakfast and do not have my first meal until 11 or 12. I am also eliminating dairy which I came to realize makes me sick not to mention fat. Also, packaged foods are kept to the bare minimum and I read each package very carefully. The foods I eat that are packaged are veggie burgers. Surprisingly, there are a number of good options that don't have the chemicals and other preservatives in them which wreck havoc on hormones. The exercise helps with stress and keeps me balanced. I also try to do some meditation when I can sneak it in.

Any tips or suggestions that you have that helps you is welcomed. :smiley:
  • jenniencole
    jenniencole Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Phillypretzel I would try to eat more calories in the am and less at night that way u don't go to bed with so much in ur belly I've been doing that for a week and I think it's helping
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    If you need support, you can add me. I've lost 33 lbs out of a projected 114 and I'm vegetarian, too. (I do eat a lot of carbs, though; fair warning.)
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Phillypretzel I would try to eat more calories in the am and less at night that way u don't go to bed with so much in ur belly I've been doing that for a week and I think it's helping

Glad this is working for you. Everyone finds an eating pattern that works best for them. I eat 50% of my calories for morning and afternoon, then the remaining 50% in the evening. Otherwise, my urge to snack at night puts me over my limit.

I have insulin resistance as well (due to PCOS) and this is what's been working for me.

1. Set loss rate to 1.5 lbs/week.
    2. 150g/day carbs or fewer.
    3. 45 min of sweaty exercise, 6 days a week. Yoga and leisurely walks aren't enough for me. If you can't do 45 minutes all at once, just catch your breath and start again when you're ready, until you’ve reached the time.

Lowish carb and heavy exercise are key. They help me with satiety, blood glucose levels, and earning enough extra calories to stay sane.

I started at 248 and am now at 209. 24 to go!
  • busybears2005
    busybears2005 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm here for the long haul as well. Please add me and we can motivate each other and even challenge one another. Teresa
  • yvettekeaton
    yvettekeaton Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!!
  • Whitney_Massey
    Whitney_Massey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can add me. We can all use motivation and someone to help hold us accountable
  • Winston_Edward
    Winston_Edward Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Please add me as well. Look forward to loose weight with you. Lots of luck.
  • SweetpeaHu
    SweetpeaHu Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'd love to add you as a friend. I'm 43 and last week my Dr told me that I have high cholesterol and high sugar levels. I'd love to lose 15 lbs and maybe more....I've never lost more than 5 lbs, but am determined this time.