negative calories after a 2000 cal burn- question for athlet

Options
tmdugger
tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
realized my previous title probably wasn't going to get read by the right people....how many do I have to eat back...

I know I should have spread more calories during my ride but I didn't so now what. My net intake is way negative. I am toying with the idea of training for a triathlon and what started as a casual ride turned into 16 miles plus a good swim....sooo it being almost 8pm where I'm at...How many calories net do I need to get back to today so I don't jeopardize muscle recovery. I plan on eating more tomorrow as well.

So for all you athletes out there...what do you do when you goof and don't eat during your 2.5 and 3 hour workouts

Replies

• wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this.

I ran into this same situation Saturday, which is when I do my long run, but I also mowed the lawn that day.

In order to eat those calories back I think I would have had to order a pizza. lol!
  • tmdugger
    tmdugger Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    so random but I totally went to Purdue University!!!! Boiler Up!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'd say at least 1200. :) Eat something high in calories like peanut butter, bananas, avocado, cereal, granola, rice, crackers, full fat milk. Have some chocolate if you like, or jeez, have a slice or two of pizza. (But, since you're training for a triathlon, I doubt you want to be eating pizza. Lol)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i have this same problem every saturday when i do my long run and burn anywhere frmo 1000-2000 calories. i do my best to eat MOST of them back (like 75% at minimum). I'm not hungry either after these runs because my body is too busy getting me all recovered that it forgets to tell me to eat...so i must eat on my own. During the runs i have gatoraide then i'll have snacks during the day to try and space it out. and its better to eat late than not at all! :-)
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run 15-20+ miles most every Saturday morning, I always end the day in a deficit. I run on an empty stomach. On a 15 mile run I might eat 200 calories, for 20 miles perhaps 300 at most.

I don't give it a second thought, it is what it is.

I can tell you I did manage to put on 15 lbs while running 40 - 50 miles per week. If you using your training as a license to eat, you will put the pounds on.
  • cmm268
    cmm268 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well for me if my workout is an hour or less I don't eat anything. Anything longer I take in calories via a sports drink with calories, gels, jelly beans, Clif Shot Blocks, etc. On workouts of 4+ hours, I'll actually stop and eat food such as a turkey sandwich.

I think the rule of thumb is that you should take in 100-200 calories per hour of exercise but I find it highly dependent on your personal preference and experience in order to find the right amount that works for you. For example, if I am going to do 90 minutes I may only eat 100 calories during my ride but if I know I am going to be doing 3-4 hours of workout I'll make sure to keep my calorie intake in the 200-300 range per hour in the first 2 hours (if not more).

I'd look into a caloric sports drink or something chewy like Jelly Belly Sports Beans or Clif Shot Bloks.

Good luck...