Diabetic diet plan

Options
what are good diabetic diet plans? I am looking for some diets that will help with sugars and also help me to lose weight.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I am unsure if you have Diabetes or not. If you are, you maybe interested on join a MFP group for Diabetes type 2
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group
    In order to lose weight, you have to eat at a deficit
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic. I enjoy doing a Paleo diet. It's less carbs, no grains, lots of fruit, veggies, meat, nuts, etc. I lost weight, my sugars were under control, and my med dose went way down. I prefer it to a standard low carb diet, because I can still have fruit or honey to correct low blood glucose.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    This is something better asked of a registered dietitian. Diabetes is a medical diagnosis that takes things beyond the realms of the "general diet and weight loss help" scope. Many personal factors are going to need to be considered and it is best if you get this kind of advice from your health care team (dietitian, primary care provider, endocrinologist, etc)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yes, you'll need to eat a deficit in order to lose weight.

There are a couple of schools of thought about T2D diets. The traditional diets is to lose weight through calorie reduction, combining carns with protein, and (I believe) somewhat limit your added sugars. The newer theory is to eat very few carbs so that your glucose levels do not rise much to begin with.

I subscribe to the theory of reducing blood glucose as uch as possible through the foods you eat, which limits the amount of (or sometimes need for) medication. Eating a low carb hign fat diet (at a caloric deficit) has helped me lose weight and normalize my prediabetic blood sugars. It worked for me.

I actually eat very low carb, lower than many low carbers, so I am in ketosis (fat burning for fuel instead of glucose) at all times. I eat 5% carbs, 20% protein and 75% fat; that works out to less than 50g of carbs per day. Other low carbers will go up to 100g or 150g of carbs, but they aren't in ketosis. (Ketosis is not needed to treat T2D.)

My diet staples are meats, fish, eggs, dairy (cream and cheese only), veggies and low GI fruits like berries. I tend to avoid baked goods, processed foods and added sugars, but that is a personal preference. Some keto'ers may eat bread, but at 40g of carbs per slice, that would be all of my carbs for the day so I would rather eat veggies.

Feel free to look at my diary if you are curious.

Dr Berenstein's Diabetes Solutions is a good book to read if LCHF interests you. If you are on meds, be sure to consult with a doctor before you change things since the lowered blood glucose levels might get too low in combination with your meds.

Good luck.
  • chelery130
    chelery130 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Calorie restriction, based on your metabolic rate and exercise, low carb, high protein is also an approach being used by some weight loss clinics (Swedish Medical Weight Loss Program, Seattle) Look at Paleo and South Beach for ideas and talk with your health care provider, especially if you are on medication.
  • egoheen
    egoheen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic (Type 2). I had 2 great nutritionists who helped me. First, I tried to use the net carbs to make sure my protein was more than my carbs. Now, I more or less just count carbs and make sure that each food I eat has no more than 15-19 carbs.

My biggest help was making sure to switch to real foods and cut processed. Surprisingly enough, I lost weight (with the help of diabetic meds). The real foods were a game-changer for me. I am such a picky eater so it's been a challenge finding what works and what i like.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    First off, if you haven't already, get a meter and start testing. Before trying to cut anything out, log what you are eating into MFP and test your blood sugar both before and 1-2 hours after eating your meal. The American Diabetes Association recommends post-meal BG to be no greater than 180, though most type 2s shoot to be less than 140 at the 2-hour mark. If you notice that you are going above that 140/180 post-meal goal, then lower the carbs you consume by a 5-10g and test again. If you notice that you are staying within target or are not spiking up at all, try adding 5-10g of carbs to the meal and seeing what happens to your BG.

The big thing is trying to figure out how many carbs you can have per meal without experiencing huge BG swings. For instance, I noticed that I need to eat less than 12g of carbs at breakfast if my BG is above 120 in order to avoid going into the 200s, while I can eat about 35-40g if my BG is below 120 (as long as I take my insulin for it 30-45 minutes before eating).

In terms of weight loss, all you need is a calorie deficit.