Gaining weight when eating well and working out

Options
Why is it that I gain weight when I eat well and fewer calories and excercise? I used to run and eat worse and still lose weight. Now a jog makes me puffy and two pounds heavier the next day. My work keeps me at a desk all day so I'm more sedentary but still exercise and eat the same and have managed to lack on fifteen pounds over the past few years that I'm totally unable to lose beyond two or three pounds that I quickly gain back. I'm still trying but the struggle is intense!!! Plus I never drink anything but water, not even juice. Help! Suggestions and advice much appreciated!

Replies

• jfrancis89
    jfrancis89 Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm sure most of it is water. Weigh yourself less often. Once a week at most. Stay active and try to have a deficit everyday and you're guaranteed results. Don't be too extreme though. Just make sure you control what you can
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Because you are not in a deficit.
  • TiaGia101
    TiaGia101 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    About how much deficit is recommended so I'm beyond margin of error?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    arjcvqgp4zja.jpg

@lemonlionheart created this chart that will help you understand your gain/what you can do
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to another weight loss site, and I lost count of the amount of posts I read saying:

"I put on weight when I exercise, and lose when I take a break from exercising "

I think the general consensus was extra water weight when exercising.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    After I come back from my walks, I am bloated and retain water like crazy. Last night's walk, I could barely twirl my ring on my finger. This morning, it's back to making sure it didn't fall off when I wash my hands.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Water retention while your muscles repair.
  • Talkativeartist
    Talkativeartist Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Muscles weigh more than fat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    After I come back from my walks, I am bloated and retain water like crazy. Last night's walk, I could barely twirl my ring on my finger. This morning, it's back to making sure it didn't fall off when I wash my hands.

I have the exact same problem, walking is the only exercise I do . I honestly didn't think walking was hardcore enough to cause water retention. .
    Even though I walk... Alot!

• TiaGia101
    Options
    Thanks. This is helpful. It is so hard to get in deficit when I'm currently only eating 1200 calories a day.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    TiaGia101 wrote: »
    Thanks. This is helpful. It is so hard to get in deficit when I'm currently only eating 1200 calories a day.

Well, there's no other explanation for it - if you gain weight, you're eating more calories than you burn. If you're *truly* only eating 1200 calories per day and gaining weight, then your TDEE must be extremely tiny and you're exercising very, very little indeed.

• TiaGia101
    Options
    That could be. I'm competing with my lifestyle which is sedentary due to my work. I'm basically in a desk from 8 to 6 and driving an hour or two a day. It leave me just a few hours to offset all that sitting with activity and maybe I fall short sometimes. I don't overeat. I think I'm just trying to find that right deficit between my daily calories burned and calories eaten. It's tricky. How much exercise do I realistically need to do? I do Physique 57 which is cardio/strength training 5 times a week for an hour. And I jog or walk or do intervals for an hour or more 4 times a week. Is that enough?