Macros and Carbs??

Options
2»

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Google the various diets and read/research.

Low fat, low carb, or eat a variety of all....

Eat less than you burn and it will work

I do low to moderate carb and it works for me.

Your mileage may vary
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    arb037 wrote: »
    If you are in a calorie deficit, then you are "cutting" (trying to lose fat) and are not going to be " gaining muscle.
    I would look up the ketogenic diet and the benefits of being in ketosis.
    Carbohydrates are not needed by the body whatsoever. Protein and fat are.

Since carbohydrates aren't needed do you consume any? Do you know anybody who consumes zero carbohydrates?

I don't see the point of the first question. Most people consume a diet made of a third to almost two thirds of carbs. No one needs them but one can eat them.

As for the second question, I do. Well, sort of. More I know of him and have talked with him. He uses some spices so that probably adds a minute amount of carbs.

Very cool. This week, more so then most, 'the carbs aren't essential' keeps popping in many threads. I guess for people eating a keto diet they view carbs as non-essential. Many people eat carbs and probably view them as essential. Athletes especially would wonder 'what are people speaking of' when they say they aren't essential. It reminds me of a pendulum, carbs are good, the pendulum swings, carbs aren't needed, the pendulum swings. idk why people write they aren't essential. What exactly is the point of writing this? How does it help a discussion on the forums?

You are using the word 'essential' like it is a personal preference. 'Essential' nutrients are those the body must have or it doesn't function right. There is a scientic definition of essential nutrients-and it pretty much is not up for debate as it is verified by research.

It is vitally important to understand that minimizing carbs isn't a nutritional problem. For a large number of people minimizing carbohydrate intake can greatly improve their health & weight. Years of eating high levels of carbohydrates has created an epidemic of obesity and diabetes. I think it is important that it be said - and people go do their own investigating.

I see what your saying; it seems like this is one of the posts which people ought to read and as it provides clarity to why it keeps popping up. If I'm saying it and you infer 'personal preference' it is probably how many people view those who keep posting this statement. Or, as you say, scientific fact. As for arb037 it is obvious they aren't going to reply to the questions or give a reason which is their choice. I'm sure people understand carbs are part of a diet and what their function serves. If they don't understand the primary functions of all 3 MACROS they could easily search for them.

In terms of the epidemic I think you can see slowing or decrease in the obesity and diabetes, at least in the US. And, while these things exist, yes in terms of diet, carbs played a role. People have steadily increased their consumption of food over the years. It is cheap and easy to find for most folks. And for many lack of daily movement is also a role not to be ignored.
  • KHS86
    KHS86 Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There is so much contradicting information out there on how much carbs one should eat while restricting calories...And what the percentage of each major macro(protein, fat, carbs) should be! At first I heard you should try to eat few carbs and lots of protein if u wanna gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously...so I had my macro goals on here set to 15% carbs, 45% protein 40% fat.

But then, I kept going over the 15% because I found it near impossible to eat that few carbs in a day(one oatmeal bowl and some veggies would basically send me close to my limit) So I did more research and a lot of sources say a good amount of carbs are good as long as they are complex carbs, which your body utilizes better and won't get turned to fat as easily...Now my goals are 30% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat...
    What is the right approach to carbs if I want to lose a lot of fat but add some lean muscle(I'm 226 pounds with a huge gut) Thanks guys

It doesn't matter as much as you think it does... If you're trying to lose weight then the only thing that matters is:
    More calories out, than calories in.
    If you're trying to gain weight then you need to be in a caloric surplus.
    And last, if you're trying to gain muscle, you need to be in a small caloric surplus and get a good amount of protein, it's also recommended to get at least 20% of your daily calories in fats since if you go too low for longer periods of time you might lower your test.

Other than that, you can set your macros however you like... and to what feels best for you.

I personally go with:

25% fat - (Healthy fats like almonds, avocado, olive oil etc.)
    1g protein /LB - (Even if this is too much, getting too much protein is never a bad thing, protein also makes you feel full for longer)
    Fill the rest with carbs (I love oats!)
  • abel_teklai
    abel_teklai Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Oh wow I didn't expect so much advice, I truly truly appreciate it!! I can see the overwhelming consensus is that carbs are not that big of a deal(unless they are highly processed) so I will just shoot for 30-35% carbs. Thank you guys again I really love this app myfitness pal it is working wonders for tracking and also knowledge
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    For those that wish to argue about the need ( false) for carbohydrates, you clearly do not understand the premise behind ketosis and the Ketogenic diet/ lifestyle.
    The body and brain run perfectly fine if not better on ketones. Neoglucogenesis is the body converting glycerol into glucose if it needs it. Glycerol is one of the breakdowns of fatty tissue.
    Carbs are not necessary.

The carbs themselves may not be necessary but it's kinda hard getting your micronutrients met if you weren't eating any carbs, and proper micronutrients are necessary for health so by proxy carbs (or rather foods that are mostly carbs) are necessary.

Today I've already had 17 grams from eating a cucumber and another 12 from some quark.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    For those that wish to argue about the need ( false) for carbohydrates, you clearly do not understand the premise behind ketosis and the Ketogenic diet/ lifestyle.
    The body and brain run perfectly fine if not better on ketones. Neoglucogenesis is the body converting glycerol into glucose if it needs it. Glycerol is one of the breakdowns of fatty tissue.
    Carbs are not necessary.

The carbs themselves may not be necessary but it's kinda hard getting your micronutrients met if you weren't eating any carbs, and proper micronutrients are necessary for health so by proxy carbs (or rather foods that are mostly carbs) are necessary.

Today I've already had 17 grams from eating a cucumber and another 12 from some quark.

That's cos you got a mouse head right?
  • stevencloser
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cucumber salad is just way too delicious. Cucumber, sour cream, quark, salt, pepper and some water or milk to make it less thick. Leave in the fridge overnight, done. I ate the whole bowl I made yesterday for breakfast.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    "Kinda hard" does not equal essential or necessity. Just means you need to expand your diet, and research where to get the nutrients needed without carbs if that was your eating style.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Terrapin, your 2 questions are irrelevant to the OP's question as well as the point being made about "essential".
  • stevencloser
    Options
    "Kinda hard" does not equal essential or necessity. Just means you need to expand your diet, and research where to get the nutrients needed without carbs if that was your eating style.

Apart from popping a multivitamin pill I don't know how you'd be able to get all your micros filled on meat and lactose free dairy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you are in a calorie deficit, then you are "cutting" (trying to lose fat) and are not going to be " gaining muscle.

Since carbohydrates aren't needed do you consume any? Do you know anybody who consumes zero carbohydrates?

I don't see the point of the first question. Most people consume a diet made of a third to almost two thirds of carbs. No one needs them but one can eat them.

As for the second question, I do. Well, sort of. More I know of him and have talked with him. He uses some spices so that probably adds a minute amount of carbs.

Very cool. This week, more so then most, 'the carbs aren't essential' keeps popping in many threads. I guess for people eating a keto diet they view carbs as non-essential. Many people eat carbs and probably view them as essential. Athletes especially would wonder 'what are people speaking of' when they say they aren't essential. It reminds me of a pendulum, carbs are good, the pendulum swings, carbs aren't needed, the pendulum swings. idk why people write they aren't essential. What exactly is the point of writing this? How does it help a discussion on the forums?

I have wondered similar things.

Even if it is theoretically possible to survive with NO carbs--and no groups naturally do that--why is that meaningful? It's not a healthy thing to try just like the fact that it's theoretically possible to eat only Twinkies and lose doesn't mean that anyone should do that. Many carbs, like vegetables, are important for their nutritional benefits.

In any event, if OP finds 15% carbs difficult, he can certainly lose weight on more, even a pretty standard percentage like 40-55% (or more in theory--many athletes eat more, as do many vegans and "raw" dieters, although I am not inclined to recommend that for the average person needing to lose weight).
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Terrapin, your 2 questions are irrelevant to the OP's question as well as the point being made about "essential".

Just saw this; sorry I missed it. I think people understand essential and reality.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

You are using the word 'essential' like it is a personal preference. 'Essential' nutrients are those the body must have or it doesn't function right. There is a scientic definition of essential nutrients-and it pretty much is not up for debate as it is verified by research.

It is vitally important to understand that minimizing carbs isn't a nutritional problem. For a large number of people minimizing carbohydrate intake can greatly improve their health & weight. Years of eating high levels of carbohydrates has created an epidemic of obesity and diabetes. I think it is important that it be said - and people go do their own investigating.

The epidemic if obesity is because the foods people are eating are calorie dense. Refined carbs are calorie dense. You can eat a lot of them, and still be hungry. That's the problem. There is nothing inherently wrong with carbs themselves. Carbs are not bad or evil and they don't cause obesity. Eating too many calories from fat, protein, carbs, or alcohol causes obesity. There is no reason to eliminate carbs from your diet unless you have a medical issue or just somehow feel better doing it. I don't care if they are not essential, they are an important source of micronutrients and energy, so why cut them out? They also taste damn good and if I had to cut them out I would binge on them eventually.

Carbs are not essential. But I have news for everyone; a lot of things we enjoy aren't essential, it doesn't mean we should sell all our crap and go live like the Amish.
  • mogz36
    mogz36 Posts: 38 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I tried lowering my carbs to ~20% (along with a healthy caloric deficit) for more than 6 months and experienced a lot of problems throughout. While it seemed to help control hunger/appetite, I felt awful all the time, had no energy (fatigue), stopped progressing at the gym and had restless sleep coupled with brain fog. All of that went away when I upped my carbs to at least 50%. Not only am I losing weight again but I feel healthy while doing so.

Everyone is different though. I'm very active and go to the gym regularly. That's probably one of the reasons why I need a decent amount of carbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I definitely found that as I increased my activity I naturally ate more carbs and felt better (I started around 100 grams and raised to 40-45% at 1800 calories or so). I also found that the issues I'd had with eating carbs on their own (not being satiating, seeming to make me hungry sooner) went away as I adopted a more active lifestyle anyway.
  • abel_teklai
    abel_teklai Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!! I love the responses they were so useful