IIFYM HELP PLEASE!

Options
Hey I am usually just a run of the mill calorie counter, but will some i have been trying to learn hown to track my macros.

What I have is based on 1500 cal diet
30% Carb 113g
45% protein 169g
25% fat 42g

Does this seem about right for weight lose?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The calories seem a bit low compared to the amount of weight your ticker says you want to lose.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    The calories seem a bit low compared to the amount of weight your ticker says you want to lose.

This, and you likely don't need that much protein. What's your height and goal weight?

Have you been logging at all so far? What are your calories and macros on average and what have you been losing per week? Do you feel good or have any issues with hunger?
  • quietblue08
    quietblue08 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to lose... but i almost never even eat 1500 cal day. Ive been loggin the last two weeks just counting calories... i know i can lose weight this weight. I just thought it might be healthier to watch more than just my cal intake. I thought that was a lot of protein too!!

Do u think i should just keep plugging away counting cal. Until im closer to goal? I have 100+ to lose.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of protein, but probably not enough to be problematic. The main issue, it seems to me, would be whether that macro ratio would work with the kinds of foods you like to eat. If so, the ratio is probably fine.

Do you know how much of a deficit 1500 is? Are you targeting 2 pounds per week?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Macros have wide ranges that will work and still be a healthy mix. It really depends upon what you like to eat, especially when there's a lot of weight left to lose.

I'm losing weight at a good pace (about 1.5 pounds a week) using the MyFitnessPal default settings of 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein.

As for calories, I'm aiming for 1500 as well and that works for me. If I weren't satisfied with that amount I would eat a bit more since I also have more than 100 pounds left to lose, but there's nothing wrong with 1500. 1200 leaves me hungry so it's too low for me.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    For a runner the protein seems super high and like everyone else is saying calories seem low as well.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That is a lot of protein, but probably not enough to be problematic. The main issue, it seems to me, would be whether that macro ratio would work with the kinds of foods you like to eat. If so, the ratio is probably fine.

I agree with this. That's why I asked what macro ratios you are eating now. It might be helpful to change them up, but there's a HUGE range of workable, healthy macros, so if you are comfortable with what you are doing now and they fall within them, I'd keep focusing on calories.

I lost 95 lbs, and I did start by modifying my macros a little--I raised my protein some and lowered my carbs some--but that was consistent with what seemed to work for me in cutting calories, as for me I tend to be more satisfied if I get protein and vegetables at all meats and cut my servings of starchy carbs some (bread, pasta, rice, etc.--not out, but just down some, since for me I tend to eat these foods more mindlessly than because I love them). I also cut down on sweets, but didn't cut them out (except at first since I was breaking some emotional eating/snacking habits).
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Within the recommended daily minimums for macronutrients, fat loss will occur no matter what percentage each one is. High carb, low carb, high fat, low fat, high protein, low protein, moderate everything, it's all down to personal preference.

Create a calorie deficit using macronutritional ranges that allow for long term compliance and maximum exercise performance.

Lose too fast, up your calories. Lose too slow, lower your calories. Feel you need more carbs, increase carbs. Feel hungry, increase fats.

This is a long term endevour and there is plenty of time to change things up and find what works for you.

For me, 30% of my daily calorie intake from carbohydrates would doom me to failure, as I prefer a carb heavy diet.
  • quietblue08
    quietblue08 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input i appreciate it very much i was doing well with the defult settings in MFP as well anf will go back to that... i think sometimes i try to over complicate things... and self sabotage
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Not sure of the default macros, but I did think 42g fat looked low. I think the **minimum** recommended for healthy hormone balance is 0.35g per pound bodyweight. Maybe the default recommends more fat. FWIW, I try to average about equal calories from all macros. Best of luck!
  • FloralBlossom
    FloralBlossom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    For me I do
    1 gram of protient for every pound
    0.3-0.4 grams of fat for every pound
    And the rest of my calories I eat in carbs. So I need to eat 1452 calories to loose weight. I eat
    Protien: 128g
    Fat: 45 grams
    Carbs: 134 grams