Elliptical

Options
2»

Replies

• LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    First you have to realize this isn't a treadmill, this is not walking, this is more like a skiing type motion. The pain you are experiencing is normal, in time you will develop muscles that you never knew you had and it will become easier. To achieve maximum benefits from the machine try to use the highest setting you are capable of using. I go on mine at level 10 (highest level) for 1 to 3 hours a day. At level 1- 3 I'm capable of burst sprinting. This didn't happen overnight, it kicked my *kitten* on level 1 for months. You have to challenge yourself and have a fan and water and great music.good luck!
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I do have arthritis in both knees, but that wasn't the problem when I tried the elliptical...
    I just tuckered out after 2 minutes and I could hardly breathe! I do best on the treadmill, for now. However, I am not against trying it again when my stamina gets going again.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Great job on just getting on the elliptical! It may be a slow start but if you keep up with it, you'll build up that endurance. I love my elliptical time and am constantly building my endurance. Just keep at it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    You're unconditioned for exercise, which is why you should do it. You never know when one day you may have to run away from danger and those that can't won't avoid it.
    Just approach it with small goals. 5 minutes, then 8 minutes, then 10 minutes and so on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• arwen8211
    arwen8211 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wow, this was definitely encouraging to read. I've been doing walking and yoga just fine, but I barely managed 5 minutes on the elliptical. I thought I was broken or hopelessly out of shape (I need to lose about 200lbs), and was so discouraged. I'm also recovering from a dislocated knee, which just makes everything go so much slower.

I guess I saw all these people zooming along on the Elliptical for an hour at a stretch and thought, "I can do that!" Then my quads were like "lol no."
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Just gotta build up to it :) as long as you're trying to stay on it as long as you can manage everyday, you will get stronger and gain more endurance. Even if it's just one little minute more, it's progress. I'm almost up to an hour now, it's taken a couple of months to build to that, but I also don't have any knee or joint issues so make sure you don't push too hard. Good job for keeping up with it :)
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    When I first got my elliptical I couldn't do more than 1-2 mins tops, now I can go for 40mins. I find steady deep breathing gets me past some of the burning feelings when I'm pushing myself. You can do it, just keep working at it!
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I recently got the app BitGym that has different areas you can go to and reached 30 minutes on it. My lowest was around 10 minutes. It made me enjoy it more. Also watching youtube videos can help. Maybe even have a tv nearby and workout while watching