Mom with bladder issues

Options
Okay, so i know most women who have squeezed out a small watermelon can/will relate to this....try jumping on a trampoline and not peeing yourself....good luck.
I'm trying to train for an upcoming 5K...getting so incredibly frustrated with my pee issues i'm ready to scream!!!! My normal ritual before exercise or running consists of going to the bathroom at least twice, followed by some jumping jacks and sure enough 20 seconds later i pee again. you would think this would empty any liquid from my bladder? but no, tonight i head out for my jog/run and sure enough, i barely get down the block and i'm leaking like a hose. un-freekin believable. i have to head home, pee yet again and change my clothes. i've even resorted to running with a pad (anybody that's tried this knows it's incredibly annoying as they do not breathe well and get bunched up in places they shouldn't and it's just generally disgusting)
i even reduced my water intake a few hours before my run tonight but it still didn't work. i should also mention i've been doing those notorious kegels for 9 years...not working 100% however i can now laugh or sneeze without peeing.
anybody have any words of wisdom, or some suggestions???

Replies

• cc_campbell81
    Options
    Well I haven't had a leaking problem but I do have to pee all the time. Like you I have to pee before I run and sometimes stop to go. when I go to a movie I have to pee 2 or 3 times. At night I wake up to go a lot. Have you consulted a doctor?
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    No wisdom or suggestions, but you do have my sympathy!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You might possibly have a prolapsed bladder?? Have you talked to your doctor about it?

I have a friend who recently went through something similar. She wound up needing surgery, but it was minimally invasive, everything was laparascopic, and she is all better now!!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Talk to your OBGYN - you may need surgery to correct the issue.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I think you should see a Urologist. I pushed out 2 large (9+ lb) babies, and I have never had that problem. I get having to pee a lot as we have to drink more water and what not, but leakiness and stuff at your age isnt normal. Kegel exercises help, but if its as bad as you say, you should definately speak to a doctor. You should have to deal with this!
  • mowrynation
    Options
    I have a similar problem, but only happens right before that TOM or if I am sick. I was going to suggest the kegels, but you know about that. I would check with your nutritionist, if you have one, or your Dr. Good luck!
  • tukrainets
    tukrainets Posts: 119
    Options
    ditto on that sympathy... but i have no idea how to help you... my son was 10 lbs and i had zero hips... trust me, my bladder is shot for life.. lol
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    i also have a slightly prolapsed uterus which i have been to a doctor about...who basically told me that's the wonders of having children and it's not serious enough to fix...the surgery is worse. i also visit numerous doctors several times a year for other health issues and they are all pretty much useless.
  • maggieschuck
    maggieschuck Posts: 174
    Options
    Funny you should bring this up... I just went to my OBGYN for the same reason. Im training for Tough Mudder this fall and I run with my thighs clenched, dread sit ups and any lower stomach exercises. I was told to do kegel exercises twice a day for 10 seconds. I did talk to a Urologist because I was recommended for surgery and he said that with kegel and normal exercises it has a 20 % chase of fixing it self. Im going to wait until Im done with training before I get any surgery done. If it get worse then you need to see your OB.

I can laugh, sneeze and cough with out any issues unless it takes my by surprise. Most of the time we know whats coming and we clench, hold the muscles and go pee when done. Good luck.
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I am soooo glad that you posted this. I've been thinking about posting something similar, but wasn't sure how to say it tactfully! I am in the same boat! I have issues when I sneeze, run, exercise....any of that. I have no words of advice, just that I suffer right along with you. Hope you don't mind if I friend you.:)
  • stephy52604
    stephy52604 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have the same problem. I was looking into it about a week ago and this is what I found most helpful....

http://www.webmd.com/urinary-incontinence-oab/america-asks-11/stress

Hope this helps
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Many women experience stress incontinence or, weakened pelvic floor muscles often due to injury or child birth (me included x2 UGH!), and sometimes obesity :

Use an extra absorbency tampon or find your nearby adult store, or online and order some BenWa balls. The idea here is that the tampon or balls, inserted vaginally, will create pressure against the bladder wall, and pelvic floor muscles, making them less likely to lose tension. In addition, a panty liner helps me for long runs and of coarse, empty out just before you run/jump etc. I need to buy stock in tampax.... LOL

I didn't learn about any of this till I joined MFP, and the advise was spot on, no pun intended, and has helped me feel secure enough to begin the 5k training with no problems as of yet...

hope this helps. good luck!

Edit to add: After two years at karate, refusing to do jumping jacks, because of this very problem, I went in last week, "prepared" and proceed to do 2 minutes of jumping jacks with little to no problems... YAHOO!!!!
  • Jennxpt
    Jennxpt Posts: 3
    Options
    hi; I'm a Physical Therapist who has specialized training in treating bladder issues. if you talk to your doctor about this, you could get referred to a PT who treats stress incontinence, which it sounds like is what this is.

A lot of people do Kegels wrong; they tighten their stomach instead of the "pelvic floor" muscles. That has an effect like squeezing a tube of toothpaste in the middle, so the more you work on your abs, the more pressure you create downwards, weakening the pelvic floor. If you do crunches, stop, and do plank-style stabilization instead. When you Kegel, tighten the muscles you use to hold in gas, not your gluts or stomach.

If you haven't had a pelvic exam in a while, I'd get one, cause prolapse can occur; there are ways (not all surgical) to address that, too. Worse case, you can get a bladder suspension, but PT first is cheaper and less painful, and often works.

Good luck.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Try a pad specific to the problem, like Poise, as opposed to the usual femine napkin. Find the brand that suits you best, and adjust running wear accordingly. Astronauts wear diapers in space, so that might be a better solution to bunching for an athlete. There are plenty of ladies with the problem and plenty of products designed to provide a solution, so there is no reason to give up exercise and become an old lady before your time.
  • DawnA7230
    DawnA7230 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try adding squats to your work out. Preferably 3 times a day. It's a great work out for the pelvic floor, and some people believe that its more effective than Kegels.
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I totally feel for you! I have the same issues... maybe a little differently. I have to pee all the time and if I don't go right away then well... You know.:embarassed: GROSS and EMBARRASSING! My previous OB mentioned doing the surgery once I'm done having children, but that was about all she could tell me. Well, my situation wasn't getting any better and I was avoiding drinking water because I was sick of having to go to the bathroom all the time. :grumble: I am now seeing a new OB and after explaining my situation she prescribed me a prescription so I wouldn't have to go all the time and it has truly helped! I'm not one to take a lot of medicines and would rather fix things the more natural way, but this just had to stop!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. :smile:
  • Raylynn87
    Raylynn87 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    im actually going through bladder issues as well. ive been seeing a urologist. recently went to take a urodynamics test (if you've never had to do one, just thank the lord cause it was horrible for me). i still don't know what's wrong with me and I get frustrated and discouraged cause medicine isn't completely working for me. thank you for posting this because i thought i was the only one going through it.
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Many women experience stress incontinence or, weakened pelvic floor muscles often due to injury or child birth (me included x2 UGH!), and sometimes obesity :

Use an extra absorbency tampon or find your nearby adult store, or online and order some BenWa balls. The idea here is that the tampon or balls, inserted vaginally, will create pressure against the bladder wall, and pelvic floor muscles, making them less likely to lose tension. In addition, a panty liner helps me for long runs and of coarse, empty out just before you run/jump etc. I need to buy stock in tampax.... LOL

I didn't learn about any of this till I joined MFP, and the advise was spot on, no pun intended, and has helped me feel secure enough to begin the 5k training with no problems as of yet...

hope this helps. good luck!

Edit to add: After two years at karate, refusing to do jumping jacks, because of this very problem, I went in last week, "prepared" and proceed to do 2 minutes of jumping jacks with little to no problems... YAHOO!!!!

THANK YOU!!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    No problem. I wanted to edit, but will just post, It doesn't put pressure on the bladder wall, it puts pressure on the urethra.... LOL, technicalities.

I still have an occasional leak, but not anything even close to what was happening before... :)
  • supermom4abcd
    supermom4abcd Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you! After having 5 pregnancies, my bladder control during exercise is shot! I used to run & the best thing I found was using a tampon. It seemed to do the trick. Hope things work out for you.