Is my knee okay to run or do I see a doctor?

Options
I run a lot and eased into more miles etc. I think I hurt it from taking off my jacket while running and it caused my hydration pack to fall off and I twisted to grab it and put it on but then when I ran shortly after I felt a weird sensation in my knee like the side of it was going to rupture where my mcl is. I stretched and ran closer to the ground and could run 3 miles. After was okay but rested it for a week. It barely hurts, but feels unstable sometimes like my knee may buckle. It totally bends and I can put my weight on it. Do I need the doctor if I don't see much swelling or feel much pain? Do I try running since it has been a week?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    beats me. but i'm curious as to what "running closer to the ground" means.

"feels unstable" is a kinda nebulous term. everything else you're describing would mean that I'd go ahead and try to run, but I'm pretty bullheaded when it comes to that stuff. but depending on what unstable means, maybe, maybe now. nobody dies if you use extra caution tho.

so we were talking about running low to the ground?
  • EatWholeFoods
    EatWholeFoods Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Running lower to the ground means smaller stride and you keep your feet under your knees not extending out. It is actually good to do all of the time so your hips are right above your legs and at the right position rather than too big of strides that hyper extending your legs and hips.

Feels unstable means it buckles forward randomly sometimes when I first wake up.

My whole leg gets random muscle tension when normally I don't get muscle pain or temsion.

I am worried because running on a torn tendon can make it rupture. Not sure if it is a torn tendon or a strain. It isn't the knee bone part. It is the side like tendons or muscles and felt like they were about to pop or maybe it did pop and that was the sensation I had when it happened. I couldn't hear it because I had headphones in one ear.

Never felt that feeling before. Regular pain whatever but this is a weird feeling and if it ruptures, then you can't run for 2 or 3 months.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you're worried about all that, why are you asking us if you should see a medical professional?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    "feeling of instability" on the medial side of the knee after a sharp turn is an indicator of an mcl sprain

http://health.ucsd.edu/specialties/surgery/ortho/areas-expertise/sports-medicine/conditions/knee/Pages/mcl-sprains.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071355/
    DavPul wrote: »
    If you're worried about the that, why are you asking us if you should see a medical professional?

this
  • hot4fitness2
    hot4fitness2 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling any discomfort or pain in your knee then you should seek medical attention. No one on this site should be advising you to continue running since we have no idea what is going on without the proper imaging. The best advice anyone can give is to see your doctor
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Definitely go see a doctor.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I would definitely see a sport medicine doc or physiotherapist to get assessed, even if it's something minor better to nip it in the bud.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    If there's a question about seeing a doctor or not, I wouldn't turn to a forum of untrained strangers to help me decide, however good their intentions might be.
  • EatWholeFoods
    Options
    I am seeing the dr tomorrow thanks everyone. Yeah it doesnt hurt much but buckles and so maybe a muscle near it is injured or a tendon or ligament so I will see.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'd give it another week if your noticing it's getting better. Look up knew rehab exercises and start doing those a bit too. I recently screwed my knee playing soccer and it took about two weeks before it wasn't tender.

Seeing a Dr surely won't hurt regardless.
  • EatWholeFoods
    Options
    Thanks I saw the doctor and she said tendonitis of the knee and bursitis. It has been 3 weeks of resting and still hurts sometimes if I go down a step or bend over. I wonder if it is my mensicus and if that is something the doctor cannot determine from her exam without an mri. She pressed spots and then had me push and pull and describe where the pain is and what happened. Its my medial side so inner thigh that concerns me because its sharp pain and slightly bruised appearance. Not swollen at all and if I push it, it feels no pain. My knee cap and stuff, the bursitis is more obvious like red spots that inflame and hurt. It isn't getting better. The doctor said rest 2 weeks and it has been 3.