Always over sugar count in tracking from fruit: advice kindly requested

Options
Hi All,

This is my first post and was just looking for a little advice. I'm 5'3 and weigh 8 stone 7. I'm not desperate to lose a lot of weight: possibly 5 lbs at the most as the lowest for my BMI is 7st 10 and I definitely don't want to be under that.

I'm generally healthy, but looking at my tracking I am always way over on sugar: not from junk but from the fact that I make a fruit salad in the morning with some 0% fat greek yoghurt. I usually have 2 kiwis, a banana, some blackberries or raspberries and a nectarine.

I understand that fructose is slightly different to processed sugar but do you think that this is too much fruit for a day and will it affect losing those last pesky 5lbs?

Thanks very much

Amy

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    unless you have health issues, I wouldn't worry about the sugar
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It will only affect weight loss if it puts you out of a deficit. Sugar doesn't keep you from losing weight, not being in a deficit keeps you from losing weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    When experts talk about limiting sugars, they're talking added sugar, not fruit.

Eat your fruits and veggies. They're good for you. :)
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

This is my first post and was just looking for a little advice. I'm 5'3 and weigh 8 stone 7. I'm not desperate to lose a lot of weight: possibly 5 lbs at the most as the lowest for my BMI is 7st 10 and I definitely don't want to be under that.

I'm generally healthy, but looking at my tracking I am always way over on sugar: not from junk but from the fact that I make a fruit salad in the morning with some 0% fat greek yoghurt. I usually have 2 kiwis, a banana, some blackberries or raspberries and a nectarine.

I understand that fructose is slightly different to processed sugar but do you think that this is too much fruit for a day and will it affect losing those last pesky 5lbs?

Thanks very much

Amy

How are your total carbs?

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

that probably puts you in the top 10% of fruit consumers, doesn't mean you won't lose weight but I wouldn't rely on any "typical" data. If you ate 800 calories of fruit sugars and nothing else you would lose weight, and perhaps your teeth LOL.

• amythomas9575
    amythomas9575 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much: total carbs yesterday 133 (goal 150) and the day before 135. That's fairly normal. I used to eat those porridge pots that you add water to as I have to eat at my desk and they were easy but looking at the ingredients they had a lot of added sugar in them. I also usually have eggs for lunch in some form so didn't want to overdo it on the egg front!
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    unless you have health issues, I wouldn't worry about the sugar

This
  • isthatpoisontoo
    isthatpoisontoo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I asked a similar question on the boards a couple of weeks ago, and the answer I got was don't worry about sugar from fruit. When we're told not to eat too much sugar they mean processed sugar. The NHS (I'm in the UK) specifically says, "Sugars also occur naturally in foods such as fresh fruit and milk, but we don't need to cut down on these types of sugars." You have to be a bit more careful with juices, fruit leathers, etc, but whole fruits are good for you.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The context for the NHS quote is a population with a median fruit consumption around 1 serving a day.