Has anyone lost the weight they gained while taking antidepressants?

Options
I have stopped antidepressants last month after taking them 2 years. I gained 3 and a half stone while taking them. I have lost over a stone the last 5 months but it is so slow. I always see that people gain on anti depressants but never find out if they eventually lose the weight when off them. I would be interested to find out your experiences. Thanks.

Replies

• timtakel
    timtakel Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did and I also lost additional weight. :-)
  • DeborahKilpatrick
    DeborahKilpatrick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've lost a stone since I stopped taking them last August. You can definitely lose the weight. A stone over 5 months is very good - keep going! I'm slightly stuck at the moment but have less than a stone to lose now so I'm going to work hard at it and plan for it to be completely gone by Christmas.
  • summer77angie
    summer77angie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That's good to hear. Timtakel, how long did it take you to lose the weight and how much did you lose?
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on mirtazapine. A lot of weight. 61lbs in a year. I've lost 46lb since I stopped taking it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I gained a bunch of weight on both anti-depressants (hello mirtazapine munchies) and mood stabilisers (I'm bipolar 2). I'm currently managing my health off meds and so far this year have lost 2 stone. I am just about back to pre-med weight and am hoping to lose the additional general overeating for too many years weight too.

Don't get hung up on how long it takes to lose, fast shouldn't be the marker of success, long term and sustainable is the aim. 1 stone is great! Particularly if you have/had depression, it's critical to ensure you do it in a slow, healthy way to ensure your brain gets all it needs nutrient wise to prevent depression.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I lost weight while taking anti depressants. I gained weight while taking anti depressants. I gained weight after stopping. And I lost weight after stopping.