Macros

Options
magdafit2
magdafit2 Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Confused with my macros... My macros has me with 60g of protein, carbs 150g, 37g fat for a total of 1200 calories. always go over my protein intake is that Okay.... I do stay under my calories. Female 4"11 at 127 pounds ????? trying to hit 110.... I do bootcamp classes 5 days a week not even sure how many calories I burn

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'd probably bump up the protein a bit (75 or so?) and bump down the carbs a bit.
  • magdafit2
    Options
    :):) Okay, thanks for your input...
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    magdafit2 wrote: »
    :):) Okay, thanks for your input...
    That's based on getting about .6 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Your fat is about 28.4% of your intake. That seems in the ballpark to me.

• magdafit2
    Options
    where should my fat and carb be at???? sorry I'm new to all this... have been struggling
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    A lot of recommendations are for fat to be 25-35% of total calories with carbs filling out the rest (after protein).
  • kimmiebrito
    kimmiebrito Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to promote fat loss.
    Of all your calories, these should be the ratios:
    10-30% carb
    30-40% fat
    40-50% protein
    For women, a low carb diet generally helps them lose more fat more efficiently.
    If you are trying to lose fat AND gain muscle, you should look into carb cycling.. But it is FAR more complex..
  • KHS86
    KHS86 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    10-30% carb
    30-40% fat
    40-50% protein
    If you are trying to lose fat AND gain muscle, you should look into carb cycling.. But it is FAR more complex..

lol! Where do you get these things from? Women's magazines?
  • kimmiebrito
    kimmiebrito Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    KHS86 wrote: »
    10-30% carb
    30-40% fat
    40-50% protein

Bodybuilding.com
    Keep protein constant, lower carbs, increase fats.. For women. Men are more dependent on carbs than women are.
    Estrogen enhances epinephrine production, the primary hormone that stimulates lipolysis (fatty acid breakdown).
    Estrogen promotes the release of human growth hormone (HGH), which inhibits the uptake of carbohydrates and increases the mobilization of fatty acids from adipose tissue.
    Women have increased blood flow to adipose tissue, which could assist in fatty acid mobilization.
    Women have higher levels of intramuscular triglycerides (IMTG), a fat-based source of fuel that spares muscle glycogen during moderate to high intensity exercise. This sparing of muscle glycogen may actually give women an endurance edge when performing at high intensities against men!
    According to one study, men appear to rely more on stored carbohydrate for fuel than women when doing the same exercise.
  • KHS86
    KHS86 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    KHS86 wrote: »
    10-30% carb
    30-40% fat
    40-50% protein

Bodybuilding.com
    Keep protein constant, lower carbs, increase fats.. For women. Men are more dependent on carbs than women are.
    Estrogen enhances epinephrine production, the primary hormone that stimulates lipolysis (fatty acid breakdown).
    Estrogen promotes the release of human growth hormone (HGH), which inhibits the uptake of carbohydrates and increases the mobilization of fatty acids from adipose tissue.
    Women have increased blood flow to adipose tissue, which could assist in fatty acid mobilization.
    Women have higher levels of intramuscular triglycerides (IMTG), a fat-based source of fuel that spares muscle glycogen during moderate to high intensity exercise. This sparing of muscle glycogen may actually give women an endurance edge when performing at high intensities against men!
    According to one study, men appear to rely more on stored carbohydrate for fuel than women when doing the same exercise.

She will lose weight if she is in a caloric deficit, doesn't matter if she gets 50g of carbs or 150g.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    So, the link from BB is provided below.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html?mcid=NL-NEWS03100513

I think the combination of a nutritionists comments(the writer of the quoted article) and 'According to one study, men appear to. . . . ' was enough to set 'the BS' meter off a little. The OP has 17 pounds to lose, granted her height is part of the equation, but taking MFP's minimum and applying it seems like short term potential success and long term. . . .return to MFP. And if the OP applies the 50% end of protein and 1200 calories she'd be consuming 150 grams of protein daily. Seems on the high side; I'd prefer to use it for fuel as either fat or carbs. Just a thought or two.