Three meals a day VS six meals a day?

Options
What are the advantages of each?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's only advantageous if you stay within your calorie restrictions to lose/gain/maintain weight. Number of meals is basically irrelevant to any of the above. This would be more of a preference than an need.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant, save that when you eat in a way and at a time that suits you, you're more likely to stick to your goals.
  • kimmiebrito
    kimmiebrito Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ^^^^
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

None, other than personal preference.

If you are a world class athlete, it *might* make a small difference in performance levels.
  • KHS86
    KHS86 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

If you are a world class athlete, it *might* make a small difference in performance levels.

This ^
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The only advantages that matter are those that are advantages to you. Meal timing makes no difference - just do what works best for you.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Three meals leaves some gaps for my blood sugar to drop
  • CamillaEdwards
    CamillaEdwards Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ahh I see thank you guys! What about eating late at night? Does that have a negative effect when you're loosing weight?

Thank you! :smile:
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It's only advantageous if you stay within your calorie restrictions to lose/gain/maintain weight. Number of meals is basically irrelevant to any of the above. This would be more of a preference than an need.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Meal timing is irrelevant, save that when you eat in a way and at a time that suits you, you're more likely to stick to your goals.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Ahh I see thank you guys! What about eating late at night? Does that have a negative effect when you're loosing weight?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Nope! Eating late at night is fine too, unless it bothers your sleep.
  • CamillaEdwards
    CamillaEdwards Posts: 37 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Interesting! That goes against what so many people tend to think/ say. Do you think it improves your metabolic rate eating little and often?
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I like more afternoon and evening meals

Kind of opposite of what you often hear

It works for me

I am not aware of anything other than folklore stating meal timing matters aside of loading for endurance exercises.

Just eat

Make the timing work for you
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Interesting! That goes against what so many people tend to think/ say. Do you think it improves your metabolic rate eating little and often?

I found a study that had low frequency with higher RMR compared to high frequency.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0038632

But that's only 100-ish calories,
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you & fits in with your day.

I eat differently depending on my schedule. Most days I snack all day and end up eating meals/snacks 6-8X. Once or maybe twice a week I have one calorific big meal and either eat nothing or very lightly the rest of the day.

One is not better than the other IMO, but I do personally notice that it is easier for me to meet my macro goals eating smaller portions more frequently because I tend to plan my food in advance on those days and generally eat in a more balanced way and meet my P/C/F more closely. On "big" meal days I don't really plan, I just eat and log so even if on track as far as calories go, my other numbers can be a lot more variable when I don't plan ahead.
  • supersocks117
    supersocks117 Posts: 169 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think it matters how often you get hungry. My schedule usually looks like Breakfast Lunch and Dinner are 300-500, Snacks are 100-200 (and I may have 2-3). I do smaller meals and more snacks some days (I usually do a small snack if my toddler is going down for a nap, since I don't always get to eat until a while after she falls asleep) Other days I do bigger meals and less snacks, like if we eat with family or go out. I just tack the extra calories to whatever meal makes sense for the day.

I personally do better with more snacks and smaller meals usually. My DH prefers to go longer amounts of time, but bigger meals. I finally convinced him to eat breakfast and lower the other meals a little, because otherwise he lets himself get ravenous and doesn't notice fullness as well.

And for snacks, some days I eat popcorn before bed (if I have calories left) and have noticed no weird drops in weightloss due to eating at night ;)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    It is all personal preference and that thing about eating after a certain time being bad is nonsense. For weight loss it is all about the total calories consumed and the total calories burned. As long as you burn more than you consume, the weight will come off.

I prefer to eat often. I eat three meals per day but regularly snack between meals because it makes me feel better. The important thing is that all the calories count, snacks, meals, or whatever you want to call it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OP just forget all the nutrition information you know. It is very outdated. Learn the correctly information. Execute a plan that fits you and enjoy your weight loss.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I know that if I don't snack, I'm more likely to eat too much or even binge. I like a bit of cottage cheese with applesauce and cinnamon, plain greek yogurt with fresh berries, a hard-boiled egg, a spoon of nut butter, half a can of beans or a cheese stick, since these keep me satisfied. I also tend toward hypoglycemia, and need to keep my sugars constant. It's tough for me to stick to 1500 calories, so planning is the key, here, as well as preparing food in advance so you don't grab junk instead of real food, or eat more than you intend to. Notice that these food all have protein and fat, which contribute to satiety. Pure carbs like fruit don't do that as much.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I know that if I don't snack, I'm more likely to eat too much or even binge. I like a bit of cottage cheese with applesauce and cinnamon, plain greek yogurt with fresh berries, a hard-boiled egg, a spoon of nut butter, half a can of beans or a cheese stick, since these keep me satisfied. I also tend toward hypoglycemia, and need to keep my sugars constant. It's tough for me to stick to 1500 calories, so planning is the key, here, as well as preparing food in advance so you don't grab junk instead of real food, or eat more than you intend to. Notice that these food all have protein and fat, which contribute to satiety. Pure carbs like fruit don't do that as much.

Have you tried pre logging and fight cravings you have?

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I feel better when I eat a bunch of little meals. It's also so much easier to work in more vitamins and minerals than just eating a lot of the same thing. Bunch of different meals - bunch of different foods! :)

I have more energy. I don't know if it's because I never have that uncomfortable stuffed feeling or just because I'm always eating, lol, but it works for me. :)

It's not for everyone, though. Some like B-L-D. Some people eat one meal a day! I couldn't do it, but they like it.

Pick what you like and go with it. You can always change later. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No. Some people tend to have trouble controlling their appetite if they don't snack and get hungry. Others, like me, are the opposite and find it much easier to stay within calories and feel satisfied with fewer, larger meals (for me this means 3).

Experiment to see what you like better.