Question about newb gains

Options
Specifically how do I know when I am past the point of newb gains?

I've been lifting for about a year and a half, however, at some points I was only going once a week. I've now gotten serious and I'm doing 3 full body work outs a week (non consecutive). Also prior to the last month my diet was terrible with not much protein.

So I'm trying to lose fat and gain muscle, which I hear can be done, but only for newbs. I'm no longer seeing the quick progress I did when I first started, eg going from 8kg chest press to 20kg chest press really quick then struggling to go from 25kg to 30kg.

Which makes me think I'm past the newbie point? Although then I've managed to really improve my shoulder press in the last month!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    It depends. What program have you been doing since you started? If it's not a progressive overload type of training, then you can probably have some newbie gains by getting on a program that focuses on it. If you're only benching 30kg after 1.5 years of lifting, then I'd say you haven't been progressively overloading or you've been cutting the whole time?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I have to ask - does it really matter? Unfortunately there's no signal that your newbie gains have come and gone. Focus on your lifting and control your diet to determine whether you're losing/maintaining/gaining. Whatever happens, happens - newbie gains or not. Realistically, newbie gains are a very brief and ultimately meaningless part of your lifting career in the first place so I must emphasize that you focus on the big picture and the long-term.
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When I first started I didn't really know what I was doing, then I got a PT but focused on form, so only in the last few months have I been trying to go heavier. Which has been pretty patchy. It's only the last month or so where I've really had the kick up the bum to take my programme seriously.

I dunno if it matters much, the reason I asked is my bodyfat has gone down a bit, but my weight has gone up. Which makes me wonder if I've put some muscle on, which I wasn't expecting to do with a deficit.

Essentially I'm not sure if I've put on a bit of muscle, or if I'm going way over on my cheat meals! Ergh I guess the only thing I can do is wait and see :(
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    It could be water retention if you just recently have been taking weightlifting more seriously.
    As a women you won't put more muscle on than 1 lbs a month under perfect circumstances (eating a surplus with plenty of protein).
    If you sure your bf is lower, it is most likely water.

You should start taking some body measurements and tracking that way as well.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It seems to be an Internet forum term.

I joined a gym and had a trainer for a year before joining MFP.

Never heard that term, newbie gains.

Muscles grow when challenged and fed, then you sleep so they can rebuild

Just keep working them and watch your calorie intake.

It is easy to over eat when lifting and thinking we need much more food.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Everyone's strength and muscle gain is quickest at the beginning and tapers off - totally independant of whether you are in a deficit or not.
    The more training time (or years) you have and the closer you get to your potential the slower your progress.
    It will be exactly the same if you have a training break, fast progress (faster than someone who has never been strong) and tapers off.
    Here's my bench press progression in 2013 from a low (for me) start point back to what I would consider "normal" when training regularly:

Feb - 139lb,
    Mar - 161lb
    Apr - 174lb

July - 186lb

Sep - 190lb

Nov - 220lb
    Dec - 220lb