when I run...

Options
Can someone tell me why I get nauseated and feel bad later in the day when I run?
I do an additional workout including lifting too.

Replies

• dorothybooth
    dorothybooth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough to support your workouts?
  • lil_fit_mom
    lil_fit_mom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough to support your workouts?

I'm trying. ..but feeling sick kinda doesn't help with eating
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dehydrated?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Ate to close to your workout?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I would first guess dehydrated and then not eating enough.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    pound water and snack often. I like tree nuts and fruit for my snacks. Snacks can give you a boost but won't give you a full feeling and are easy to digest.
  • Jacqui_Runs
    Jacqui_Runs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    We need a bit more info. Do you feel sick during your run, or immediately after? I also want to say it's due to dehydration.

When I first started running, I wouldn't cool down properly. After a run, I need to walk for a full 5 minutes before I stop moving. I have gotten sick many a time cuz of that. You live and you learn, right?
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I will second the dehydration comments. If you aren't taking in enough water then you will feel nauseous, light headed, weak, etc. Especially if you are running and then lifting weights as well. Are you feeling sick after you do your weights workout or before? In any case, make sure the day before you run you are hydrating properly, and as well the day of- eating a banana before you run (I would say 1 hr to 30 mins before you go) will help you avoid cramps. Make sure to hydrate afterwards as well.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me why I get nauseated and feel bad later in the day when I run?
    I do an additional workout including lifting too.

Don't worry, you're not alone. I hate myself when I run too.

#neverrun
    #notevenonce
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Are you running outside? The heat and humidity can definitely take its toll on you during the summer months. Hydration is key, as others have stated, but you need to make sure you have plenty of electrolytes as well. Sports drinks and foods that are higher in sodium can help replace what you lose through sweat.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Those are all symptoms of a heat stress situation, specifically heat exhaustion ( http://www.wikihow.com/Recognize-Symptoms-of-Heat-Stress). Considering they are directly related to and follow your exercise routines, this is the most likely cause.

You may need to increase your pre and post exercise intake. Consume fluids that help replace electrolytes like sports drinks or fruit/vegetable juices, along with sufficient amounts overall to restore proper hydration levels.

My recommendation would be to double check your nutrition, to make sure you are adequately fueling your exercise needs. Increase your fluid intake for the next couple of weeks. Make sure you are taking adequate time to both warm up and cool down for your exercise periods.

Continue to monitor, and if your symptoms improve or dissipate, you are on the right track. If not, you may want to speak to a medical professional and be checked out for other possible causes like anemia, iron deficiency, etc. which present with similar symptoms.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I feel like that when I am dehydrated.
  • lil_fit_mom
    lil_fit_mom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to hydrate more. ..I sometimes forget to keep my water with me. It's usually way after the workout. I'll run around 8a.m. or so then do my workout. Later in the day I get shake and feel like I need food, but I don't want any.
    I thought about upping my carb intake pre workout.
    Maybe my system is just trying to get adjusted?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to hydrate more. ..I sometimes forget to keep my water with me. It's usually way after the workout. I'll run around 8a.m. or so then do my workout. Later in the day I get shake and feel like I need food, but I don't want any.
    I thought about upping my carb intake pre workout.
    Maybe my system is just trying to get adjusted?

how far are you running? how many calories are you eating pre and post run?