M/ 6'2" 250lb -> 165lb - Struggling to be content with my body.

Options
I started my weight loss journey around a year ago, and with 7 months of heavy dieting and working up my exercise I was able to hit 185lbs. 6 months later I have been able to further my fitness with running and cycling and have gotten down to 165 and have been maintaining it pretty well.
My problem is that i'm still not happy with my body. I can see my abs, not chiseled, but there, but I have some excess skin around my belly button. I'm afraid of letting my weight get any lower, but Im not happy with the way I look and I see myself developing eating disorders like the chew and spit and occasional purge when I feel like I eat too much.
Im at a loss as to what I need to do here and I dont know how to be happy with my success.

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    years of being heavy may have had a lasting impact on your self esteem. the trouble with huge physical changes, be it weight loss of fake boobs, is that people often imagine it will fix a lot more problems than it actually does. you're a good weight now, and losing more won't change how you're feeling.

working out and eating right is great, but to fix the way you view yourself you might want to consider some sort of counselling or therapy. purging isn't the action of a person who knows how to love themselves.
  • sciullo779
    sciullo779 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    years of being heavy may have had a lasting impact on your self esteem. the trouble with huge physical changes, be it weight loss of fake boobs, is that people often imagine it will fix a lot more problems than it actually does. you're a good weight now, and losing more won't change how you're feeling.

working out and eating right is great, but to fix the way you view yourself you might want to consider some sort of counselling or therapy. purging isn't the action of a person who knows how to love themselves.

Im leaning towards seeing a life coach or a nutritionist or something. I wouldnt say I have adopted purging as ive only dont it twice, but I dont want it to develop into something.

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am about the same height and 165 lbs. is too low. I got down to 173 and people started asking if I was well. I think my ideal weight is between 175 and 180. If abs are your interest I would do some ab work along with your existing fitness routine. Maybe ad some weight lifting in for toning. Remember if you are too low on calories you will not be able to add muscle at all. You are close to or have a eating disorder already, ease up and eat some healthy foods to allow your body to add some muscle mass.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You fell into the trap, you are never going to be happy with how you look. No one cares as much about how you look besides you. Not that making strides is a bad thing but you should find other mile stones to work towards. Best regards.