Nervous about my first 10k!

Options
I just signed up for my first 10k with a couple of my coworkers for next Saturday, 8/8 and I'm super excited! I have always ran a lot in the past - multiple days a week. However, the majority of this running has been done on the treadmill. I can run a 10k on the treadmill with (relative) ease, however I'm worried that the terrain and road-running will make this process harder.

How did you prepare for your first 10k? If I can comfortably run this distance on a treadmill, do you think the pavement will make much of a difference? Does adrenaline kick in come race time?

Thank you!

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    The road will be harder, but if you have the ability to run long enough to go 6 miles on a treadmill, then the only things you really need to worry about are pushing too hard uphill, and your mind. You should absolutely be able to make it on the road that distance, but your brain will do everything in its power to convince you otherwise. Just go like you have no choice and only let dropping dead stop you (or a real injury and not just OMG I'm so sore).
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If you're already running 10k you are pretty much prepared. It is a little different running outside rather than on a treadmill, and since you have a week I'd advise going for a 5k+ or two outside in the next few days to get used to it - the first time I transitioned from the treadmill to outside I found it quite difficult, but the second run was a lot easier. Main differences in running outside are you have to manually control your speed, you have to contend with hills, and the impact from running is slightly greater (although this is less of an issue the lighter you are).

Other than that have the day off before the race and just enjoy it. You may find you have some adrenaline which might help (just don't run too fast because of it or you'll regret it later on), but the main thing that keeps me going are the people cheering you on. Don't put any pressure on yourself as whatever time you get will be your PB! :)