When was the first time you realised you wanted to lose weight?

Options
ederby94
ederby94 Posts: 14 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, new here!

Just wondering when other people decided they wanted to lose weight? I find weight loss stories so interesting!

I'll start: when I was about 9 I was at my friend's birthday party and it was one of those pamper party things. I remember being sat on a beanbag chair and it suddenly hit me that I was the biggest out of all my friends who were there. I don't know why I thought it but when you're a kid you're either fat or thin and I was fat and they were all thin. 11 years later, it's one of my clearest memories: if Disney's new "Inside Out" film was a true reflection of how memories work, that memory would definitely be one of my core memories that makes an island!

Please continue, I will love reading all your epiphany stories :) and thank you for sharing x

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't very interesting... I decided to start losing weight when I saw my BMI was now over the healthy range. I'd never really cared about how I looked, and it wasn't until I go quite far into losing weight that I actually started to notice and care. And it also wasn't until I lost about 30lbs that I started getting fat comments, and got the most fat comments when I was nearly underweight. Funny how life works.

9 seems tragically young to worry about being too fat. When I was 9 my biggest problems were homework and narrowing down 6 Pokemon to have in my party out of 150.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    As an adult, it was when my 45 yo morbidly obese, sedentary, cigarette smoking uncle died of a heart attack, and I looked at the path I was on -- cigarette smoking, morbidly obese at 26 -- and decided I didn't want to end up that way. 13 years later it's still a journey, but my 26 yo self probably wouldn't have believed you if you'd told her in 10 years she'd be playing roller derby.
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    For years I didnt know I was fat, copped it when I bought a size 38inch jeans.
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mine is a bit of a boring story, i knew after meeting my other half in Sept 2010 i was happy with the way i was UK size 10, and over time i didnt think i changed much, slowly i got more angry and upset and aggressive within myself and i put it down to birth control (which was about 30% the reason). in November 2012 i went to a fancy dress, UK size 16 didnt even fit me in the costume i wanted and had to order stretchy clothing, in December the pictures were posted, i sobbed my heart out after seeing myself, i couldn't believe i looked like that!! i slowly tried to make changes to myself, especially over christmas but i decided in feb/march 2013 to really get my but in gear,i stepped on the scales and saw 14 stone 11lbs (207lbs, i already lost a little weight over the previous months i assume) since then to day i have only lose 2 stone 6lb (now 174lbs) since them im a lot nice, no longer morbidly obese for a weight of 166cm woman, and been settled like this for about a year and a half, but im determined to lose that extra 2-3 stone, but i think in another 2lbs i would be so so so much happier!
  • ederby94
    ederby94 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing guys! The comment about the age I started worrying about my weight, I know it's very young, the older I get the more tragic is seems that I've stressing over my looks for well over half my life now but I think it was around the time I started playing with the Bratz dolls (if any one remembers, tiny bodies and big-*kitten* heads) and we got Sky so I started seeing more celebrities.. maybe the sudden introduction of fashion and beauty to my little life was what made me think but I can't narrow it down to any other moment before that pamper party.
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I was also really young, though never really obese or even really overweight. Part typical media fed body issue garbage most young girls deal with: comparing myself to girls with very different builds, having a mother much thinner than me, thinking "oh no" when I got curves early on and felt uncomfortable. But at the same time I also hovered at the high end of normal despite being quite active and athletic. It was always that slightly chubby or thick look that seemed to hang on even though I was spending a lot of energy focusing on being very healthy (when I wasn't experiencing an emotions induced binge phase). So for me it was more subtle I guess. Part managing emotional eating and part realizing the importance of food quantity over exercise. I like being fit and still exercise plenty, but realized the power of managing calories and not thinking I can eat huge quantities just cause I went jogging or just cause it's whole/clean food.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The first time I was 15 and about 220, I really wanted to ask a girl out so lost 70 pounds.

This time I was laying down and notices my chin's chin was choking me.
  • anne_croft
    anne_croft Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When UK size 10-12 wasn't working anymore. Then went to UK size 12-14 I thought no problem but when they got tight, I couldn't force myself to buy 14-16. Back down to 10-12 happy again though would like to get to 8-10.