Saxenda!

Options
I work in an endocrine office and currently on Saxenda for weight loss. Looking for anyone else that has tried it, I am down 16 lbs, and feel great. I have a co-worker who is also on it and down 21 lbs. We have patients that are on it and losing weight and even getting off some of their diabetic medications. Thanks!

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Is this medicine taken for the life of the patient?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I work in an endocrine office and currently on Saxenda for weight loss. Looking for anyone else that has tried it, I am down 16 lbs, and feel great. I have a co-worker who is also on it and down 21 lbs.

Do you still get to overeat on the drug?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    So, they're getting off insulin by substituting another daily injection? Seems like eating less would be a far better solution.
  • aprilmburgroff82
    aprilmburgroff82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's an injection that can be taken for however long. It is actually a sister medication of a diabetic medication called Victoza. Physicians saw a great decrease in patients weights who were pre-diabetic so they used the same molecule in Saxenda for weight loss. Unfort. just eating less is harder for some people than others. This medication slows the gastric emptying so that you feel full longer and don't want to eat as much. If you do over eat on the medication, almost like a gastric bypass or the sleeve, it will make you feel bad with nausea, diarrhea, etc. So its almost like the surgeries but without the horrible side effects. Again it works for some and we have seen great results in our office. We even have a few patients that are on insulin pumps that are losing weight for the first time in years and using less insulin.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    I'm less worried about patients taking the drug and more worried about patients stopping the drug. Are you offering any therapies, nutritional classes, calorie counting etc so that they just don't go back to eating till they get sick once they are off the drug?
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    My dad may have been on this (he is late onset type 1). He switched to some new medication that was making him nauseous if he ate too much and he was losing weight. He has put back on every single pound since then. I don't know if he is still taking it or not.
  • aprilmburgroff82
    Options
    They do go to see a dietician/nutritionist, which helps them with healthy lifestyle changes. This is only used as a stepping stone to move them in the right direction.
  • aprilmburgroff82
    Options
    I've never seen a type 1 put on victoza or saxenda. This is mainly for type 2 patients, pre-diabetics, and obesity.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a type 1 put on victoza or saxenda. This is mainly for type 2 patients, pre-diabetics, and obesity.

It probably was something else, either way, the symptoms were the same. Nausea if you ate too much.

Basically, these drugs don't work if the user doesn't recognize that they need to change their eating habits and actually follow through. I also know people who had the bands or bypass surgery who managed to put the weight back on.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I guess my concern is that your posts address the medication and what IT does to help curb appetite and reduce intake. What is everyone (and you) on the medication doing to make a lifestyle change for when the medication is stopped? How will you portion control after a medication is no longer signaling you to be full? I know the history of the medication and I'm so glad it's working for people, but the posts focusing on medication alone concern me because like you said- it's not taken for life.

• aprilmburgroff82
    Options
    I said you don't have to take it for life, but it can be taken for life. Myself i have made small changes with calorie/carb intake, increasing my exercise and addressing my eating habits. The stomach will shrink it self when you start cutting down on your intake. Its a natural mechanism. I plan on keeping up with the healthy choices when I decide if and when I stop the medication. The medication is actually something our bodies already produce.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I said you don't have to take it for life, but it can be taken for life. Myself i have made small changes with calorie/carb intake, increasing my exercise and addressing my eating habits. The stomach will shrink it self when you start cutting down on your intake. Its a natural mechanism. I plan on keeping up with the healthy choices when I decide if and when I stop the medication. The medication is actually something our bodies already produce.

No, the stomach does not shrink when your intake decreases. Many people do become more aware of how full they actually are when they eat less for longer periods, but the actual stomach does not shrink in size.
  • aprilmburgroff82
    Options
    The stomach is an organ that can increase and decrease in size. Just like if someone was to get the sleeve or the gastric band, their stomach will shrink, but I have seen patients that have re-stretched their stomachs.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The stomach is an organ that can increase and decrease in size. Just like if someone was to get the sleeve or the gastric band, their stomach will shrink, but I have seen patients that have re-stretched their stomachs.

If they get the sleeve or gastric band that device makes the stomach seem smaller, it doesn't actually shrink. The stomach does not shrink, how you perceive fullness changes after eating more or less for a length of time.
  • aprilmburgroff82
    Options
    well we can just agree to disagree. There are still lots of studies going on about this and different outtakes for both sides. Again, just looking for other people that are having the same results to talk with and share stories!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    This reads more like an advertisement than anything else.
  • aprilmburgroff82
    Options
    well its not, just trying to find more people to talk with.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    well its not, just trying to find more people to talk with.

Then, respectfully, you'll probably have more luck on a different site.

The whole purposes of this site is to help people learn how to eat appropriate amounts of nutrition, without the use of any drugs or gimmicks. So naturally, those are the kind of people that are going to populate the message board.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    Options
    Imma just gonna leave this here
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3317257/

My stomach can stretch, but that really doesn't matter.
  • aprilmburgroff82
    Options
    AGAIN! Didn't get on here to argue. Not everyone can just lose weight from diet and exercise alone, so the boost is needed from some people. I will just forget that I said anything and continue to talk to people who know and understand what I'm trying to do. Thanks anyway...so much for supportive site!