Smoothies

Options
shaybethxo
shaybethxo Posts: 153 Member
edited July 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hey all. I've been using my nutri ninja to make vegetable and fruit smoothies, which I'll sometimes have as breakfast and/or lunch. I usually use a kale or spinach Base and add some fruit then chia or linseed.
Just wondering if anyone had any other ways I could mix it up? Could I put in protein powder? What are some good vegetables to use? Any help appreciated!
x

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is good with certain fruits like bananas, berries, and nectarines. You could add nuts or avocado to make to really creamy.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I don't know how good your blender is, but I put carrots and beets in my smoothies regularly.

and yes, protein powder and greek yogurt both work for adding protein. I use unflavored or banana powder.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I use an unflavored/ no sugar added protein powder. I also add in cocoa powder (unsweetened) or vanilla or peanut butter just to change things around when I get tired of it with just the fruit.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie everyday for lunch. My diary is open if you want to check it out.
  • GreenTeaPotato
    GreenTeaPotato Posts: 40 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My two favorites:

Berry Spinach Smoothie: One handful of each strawberries, blueberries, cherries and red/black grapes. A handful of spinach. 1 tbsp ground flaxseed. Optional packet of stevia or tsp of sugar if prefer sweeter. Optional mint leaves and/or tsp of fresh ginger for extra kick.

Chocolate Fruit Smoothie: One handful of each strawberries, blueberries, cherries and red/black grapes. 2 tbsp cocoa powder. 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds. 1.5 cup milk (almond or soy milk for vegans). Optional mint leaves for minty taste. Optional packet of stevia or tsp of sugar if prefer sweeter.
  • PoleFit96
    PoleFit96 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Make sure to regularly rotate the greens you use in your smoothies to avoid alkaloid build up!

This week I'm using zucchinis and romaine lettuce in my smoothies! They are both fantastic because that have no taste. You don't even need to put bananas to drown out the taste of the greens (which I had to do when I used kale/spring mix greens :open_mouth: )
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I had one for dinner tonight:
    1 smallish banana (for creamy thick texture, sweetness, potassium, fiber)
    half an avocado (for creamy thickness, potassium, fiber, healthy fats)
    1 1/4 cup plain unsweetened kefir smoothie (for protein, coldness, and liquid)
    handful of frozen cranberries (for coldness, vitamins, fiber, flavor)
    1/4 cup whey protein powder (for protein)
    12 grams chia seeds (for fiber, protein, omega-3s, thickness)
    1 1/2 Tbsp cocoa (unsweetened baking cocoa powder) (for minerals and flavor, in a surprising fiber- and protein-dense 16 calories)
    2 Tbsp PB2 (for protein, fiber, flavor)

523 calories, 40 g protein, 19 g fat, 17 g fiber in something that to me tastes better than most chocolate milkshakes, yet let me hit my protein and fiber macros for the day after a PopTart for breakfast and meatless pizza for lunch.

I had nearly 800 calories left for dinner, and was so hungry I thought I might use most of them, but I was so full after eating the smoothie that I couldn't even think about eating anything else. Don't know if I'll use the leftover calories for an evening treat or not.

• Love2Rappel
    Love2Rappel Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Depending on your goals... I keep it simple. I use papaya as a binder and dump some pineapple in for sweetness and cranberries to offset the sweet. I steer clear of adding what truly does not belong (yogurts and powders). I get my protein intake from a protein bagel and spread (P28).
  • Muzzoozal
    Muzzoozal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    tofu with fruit (banana & cantaloupe then add any other fruit), carrot juice (or Almond milk or other juice). Can add dark chocolate cocoa for a good flavor.
  • BakerAcer
    BakerAcer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like my smoothies really thick, so I portion fruit and freeze it in bags. I had a bunch of cherries that were a bit too ripe, so I prepped those today with mango, apple, and peach. When I blend them I might add carrot. Today I used that fruit mix and coconut La Croix sparkling water. I loved the coconut flavor (the sparkling-ness wasn't noticeable).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I only make the smoothies in order to have something to go with protein powder. I always put in greens like Romaine or Kale. Generally, I add three more ingredients, tops.
  • shaybethxo
    Options
    Thank you for all of your replies, so helpful!
    I have a nutri ninja so it blends everything really well, I'll try carrots and courgettes as I hadn't thought about things like that.
    So is the consensus that I should add some protein powder on top of chia/linseed?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I add a scoop of protein powder in mine everyday, because it gives my smoothie a yummy chocolatey taste and is an easy way to boost my protein, I also add a linseed mix, and I sprinkle chia seeds on top of my yogurt afterwards.
    You can mix all of the above into your smoothie if you wish. The combinations are endless...
  • shaybethxo
    Options
    Ok thanks. I don't eat meat so I need protein from where ever I can get it! I'll look into protein powder now.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My current fave: 1 c unsweet van almond milk, 1 c frozrn blueberries 1/2 c frozen cherries 1/2 tab coconut oil, 1 tsp chia seeds, handful greens, 1 scoop whey prot powder....its my after workout reward.