How often do you weigh & why?

Options
Hello everyone! I'm currently trying to lose a little weight (10-15 pounds), and I'm curious as to how often y'all weigh yourselves. Why that often? Just curious. Thanks for any responses. Also: feel free to add me! :)

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Every morning. I do it this way because I want a weekly average to track.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Once a week - because Saturday is the only day I can sleep in and take my time in the bathroom without my kids up my a**
  • SavannahStClair
    SavannahStClair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    @Micophilia Do you use trendweight at all? I weigh every day too to keep myself accountable, but I'm not sure how I feel about seeing gains or plateaus...

@jaga13 Hahahahah!!! That's a fair response as well! LOL!
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My weight doesn't really fluctuate that much since I eat mostly the same thing every day. I don't even really pay attention to what I weigh every day, I'm only interested in the average that I update MFP with.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Every day. My weight bounces around and I don't want to miss a low. If I weighed on Saturdays, I'd be wondering if Friday or Sunday wouldn't have been a pound or two lower. It's very silly, but I'm on that dang scale every day.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day so I can keep an eye on things but only record my weight once a week. I'm not too fussed about fluctuations unless I see a continuous gain for several days in a row; then I tighten up my calorie consumption a bit.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I weigh - and log it - every day (unless I'm out of town and away from my scale). I like to see the daily fluctuations, to know how the foods I'm eating, my workouts, my hormones, etc effect my weight - I do use trendweight to see the overall trend, so I know not to worry about a little "bump", unless it starts making my weight trend go up instead of down. But I'm an accountant, and I like data. The more data points I have, the better decisions I can make. I would drive myself crazy if I only had 2 or 4 or even 10 data points in a month, instead of 30 - what if all or most of those data points were "bad" days?? I definitely would NOT have the whole picture, and I like to see the WHOLE picture. :)
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I weigh myself almost every morning. Being post menopausal I do not have wild water weight gains like younger women do. Usually if I have a gain it is a fraction of a pound and my weigh change has always averaged out to a loss over a weeks time, since I started eating at a deficit. I log weight and other stats daily into a spreadsheet which feeds into a graph. I only log my weight once a week on MFP and every loss into my Fitbit. I like accurate data. I have never experienced a plateau (no change in weight over a period of several weeks) when eating at a deficit and I am of the opinion that most plateaus are actually the result of eating at maintenance.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Every day because it allows me to see trends more quickly.
  • mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been on the diet roller coaster more times than I care to admit & have always weighed myself once a week. I know how much the body can fluctuate from day to day & seeing a gain on the scale wouldn't help my motivation.

However, this time around I'm not worrying about the scale at all. I may weigh in after 2 weeks or a month. I'm trying not to focus on the numbers. I've been back on track for a week now; eating good & exercising consistently.. I feel so much better & have more energy so I'm not going to get fixated on the numbers.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    2-3 times a week? I used to do it every day, but as I have two pounds to go, the losses are so slow that I get a little frustrated.

When I hit maintenance, I will go back to doing it every day.
  • NovaDuck
    NovaDuck Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Every morning. I don't log it here but I do log it on a weight graph. I weigh daily to see the general trend (whether it be up or down). Once a week (usually the beginning), I'll take measurements which tell an even clearer story.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Once per month, the week after TOM. Watch my trends. Otherwise, it's how clothing fits.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Every day. My weight bounces around and I don't want to miss a low. If I weighed on Saturdays, I'd be wondering if Friday or Sunday wouldn't have been a pound or two lower. It's very silly, but I'm on that dang scale every day.

I don't want to miss a low either. my lowest low was down 2lbs from where I am now. If I didn't weigh, I wouldn't have known.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Once a week, usually Sunday morning. Sometimes I skip a week or do a different day, but I always do it at the same time: right after I get up. If I weighed every day, I'd get discouraged, though that would be better if you're looking at for a trend in direction.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Daily, but I track my progress to the week prior. Much more successful at seeing a downward trend that way.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I have no desire to see a lot of fluctuation.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily and I always have. I log my weight every couple days. I don't really see much in the way of fluctuations. For the most part, I tend to lose weight every day, even if it's only .2 lbs. I'm also still trying to find the most calories I can consume and still lose weight, so weighing daily helps me with that.
  • seaasonwhitney
    seaasonwhitney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    never... the number is my nemesis... i prefer to measure.. i do that monthly
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Every day, sometimes twice a day. I feel it keeps me more in tune with how my day-to-day intake/exercise affected the number on the scale. I also like to see I'm not too far off from my morning weight before I go to bed; this is because I know, generally, I'm two pounds lighter in the morning. This is all just superficial, natural fluctuation of the human body, but it helps to keep me on point -- even if it's not a 2-pound loss overnight. ;)

Plus, I'm a Biostatistician...soo: data.