Circuit training vs weight training

Options
Please define circuit training and weight training and the difference

Replies

• TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell circuit training consists of high intensity strength training. You get cardio and strength training by doing "circuits" of reps and not slowing down to rest. You keep your heart rate up and burn calories WHILE you are building muscle. A lot of trainers are doing it. It's def my preferred method!! :smile:
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell circuit training consists of high intensity strength training. You get cardio and strength training by doing "circuits" of reps and not slowing down to rest. You keep your heart rate up and burn calories WHILE you are building muscle. A lot of trainers are doing it. It's def my preferred method!! :smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    circuit training is alternating between cardio and weights throughout the workout. I do 30 minute circuits 3 times a week. Here's my circuits:

5 min cardio warmup (walking 4.0 mph on treadmill or light jog)

Circuit 1 (2 reps):
    1 set of 15 squats with 10 lbs handweights
    1 set of 5 lunges with 5 lb handweights - right leg
    1 set of 5 lunges with 5 lb handweights - left leg
    25 jumping jacks (cardio)

Circuit 2 (3 reps):
    1 set of 15 tricep curls (behind the back)
    1 set of 15 bicep curls with vertical raise with 5 lbs handweights
    25 jumping jacks (cardio)

Circuit 3 (3 reps):
    1 set of 15 leg lifts on machine (works quads)
    1 set of 15 leg lifts on machine (works hams)
    50 butt kicks (cardio)

Circuit 4 (3 reps):
    1 set of 15 dead lifts with 5 lb handweights
    1 set of 10 crunches
    50 butt kicks

5 min cardio on treadmill
    2 min slow walk cool down

Weight training alone would not burn nearly as many calories. Adding in a little cardio to the end of each circuit helps me keep my heart rate up and burn through more fat.

My trainer set me up on this program. It's difficult, but it's really effective!
  • colekenzie
    Options
    Thnks everyone for replying. With the workouts I have been doing with weights I was trying to figure of if I should be selecting the weight training or the circuit training in the list of exercises in my log for the day. The calorie burned difference is major. Thanks again to everyone who replied.
  • BabyDuchess
    BabyDuchess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I did strength training tonight with my trainer and he told me that I burned between 500-600 calories for one hour and have a higher burn rate for the next 12 hours.......so, it's not as low in calorie burn as most ppl think.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Weight training is the way to go (IMHO). Put down those silly 5 and 8 lb weights and lift HEAVY.

"Lift like a man, look like a goddess"
    - Lou Schuler

(author of my absolute most favorite book in the world - The New Rules of Lifting for Women - read it!!!!!!)
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Get a good HRM that counts calories for you. See which one gives you the most burn. I do both. 5/week. Screw that. Might as well go all out while I can. They say though, that the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. So there you go.
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Weight training is the way to go (IMHO). Put down those silly 5 and 8 lb weights and lift HEAVY.

- Lou Schuler

(author of my absolute most favorite book in the world - The New Rules of Lifting for Women - read it!!!!!!)

What she said.
  • pizzygirltx
    Options
    bump
  • boobear00
    boobear00 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

- Lou Schuler

Circuit training can consist of quite heavy weights, too.

My circuit usually involves me doing machines with at LEAST 40 pounds.
  • bscummo1986
    bscummo1986 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Circuit training is completing one exercise after another with no rest in between each exercise. The amount of exercises in each "circuit" depends on your level of fitness. Most of the circuits I do have at least 5 exercises back to back and 30 seconds to 1 minute of rest between circuits.

As for the comments below, I think both weight training and circuit training have their place. The great thing about circuit training is that you not only burn more calories than traditional weight training (resting 2 to 3 minutes per set) but you can also include weight training exercise into your circuit. Now, you probably won't be able to lift as heavy of weight like you would if you were doing traditional strength training, but you may still be able to 70 to 80% of your 1 rep max. Just do lower reps.

Brandon
    www.bittersweetfitness.com
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a bodyweight circuit for a couple of weeks now. It's not heavy lifting, since I seem to always have weird shoulder problems (I've had two back surgeries too, so I'm a bit scared of weight) when I start working with relatively heavy weight.

I'm hoping that by doing a bodyweight circuit for a while it may allow my body to actually build its resistance a bit slowly, I feel like I always over-do it when I try a traditional weight lifting circuit.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you want optimal strength and muscle gains, get on a beginner training program that emphasizes compound movements, progressive overload, and recovery.

If you want to annoy people in the gym by roaring through like the Tasmanian Devil, and to later talk about how hard your workout was, circuit train.