SUMMER HEAT and Exercise

Options
meg7399
meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
So I work out outside. I am a runner and I participate in a boot two times a week. I also live in St. Louis which means today was about 95 degrees with a HIGH humidity. With running I have better control and I try to do it early morning and late evenings. However boot camp is at 6pm when it is still scorching. I drop my intensity down but I sweat more and I feel more worn out and out of breath quicker. This leads me to two questions:

1: Is there anything I can do beside drink TONS of water to help me through boot camp? Today was horrible and I got sick feeling.

2: Do you think I burn more calories in this heat and if so how can I account for that when logging in the boot camp minutes?

Thanks and Happy SUMMER!

Replies

• yankeefamily05
    Options
    Wondering all of the same things. I workout in the spare bedroom of my house that is not air conditioned. It was roasting today.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    is the boot camp outside as well? is it a class or do you do it on your own? if you do it on your own inside do it with fans. if you do it outside and you can try to do it when its not that hot out...early day or late evening
  • hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    Options
    Not sure about your questions, but I do the same as you. I have been told thought that training in the heat will improve the quality of workouts at regular tempertures later.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    So I work out outside. I am a runner and I participate in a boot two times a week. I also live in St. Louis which means today was about 95 degrees with a HIGH humidity. With running I have better control and I try to do it early morning and late evenings. However boot camp is at 6pm when it is still scorching. I drop my intensity down but I sweat more and I feel more worn out and out of breath quicker. This leads me to two questions:

1: Is there anything I can do beside drink TONS of water to help me through boot camp? Today was horrible and I got sick feeling.

2: Do you think I burn more calories in this heat and if so how can I account for that when logging in the boot camp minutes?

Thanks and Happy SUMMER!

1. Drink some diluted (half water half drink) sports drink or eat energy beans (they look like jellybeans) to help balance your electrolytes.

2. Yes you do burn more since your body is trying to cool itself. But I don't know how much more.
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am also a runner--Huntsville, AL---I feel your pain; I hate the summer!!

1. I might add something to your water--powerade/gatorade. I do this occasionally if I am doing a long run or working on speed and it is hot/humid. I just try to pay attention to the calories and water it down. Pay attention to your body and pull back--not worth heatstroke!!

2. I don't think you burn extra calories in the heat. I have read that you do burn a few extra calories excercising when it's cold out. Not that that tidbit wll help you in July!! ;-).
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I agree with hydrating with electrolytes.

As for more cals burned, probably and you should be able to tell with an HRM. If not, I'd just go with a low estimate and try to stay very close to the goal calories.
  • jambs5
    jambs5 Posts: 114
    Options
    I don't have a/c in my house. I keep the drapes closed turn on a couple fans + the ceiling fan to do my workouts during the day. I am currently using Tony Littles Gazelle (similar motions to cross country skiing), as well as a stationary bike. If it's cool in the morning or evening I try to walk atleast 30-45 minutes. Lately, I've been tossing around the pigskin and shooting hoops with the hubby & kids. Anybody need friends, please feel free to add me.
  • putnam80
    putnam80 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    From everything I have read, you dont burn any more significant calories in the heat than say a mid range day. Sever cold, if your body is cold will cause you to burn more. Its why some say drink ice water, sleep in the AC and all that. your body needs to work harder to warm up or stay warm. As long as you can sweat, then you can cool your body. it takes little energy to do this.

it always seems like a lot because of water lost. being dehydrated could give you the more worn out feeling.

drink lots of water, cut out caffeine