Experience with carb cycling

Options
hey all, just recently started dieting and the experience has been an eye opener. I started eating at a 500 cal deficit and carb cycled for about a month and a half (high, low, low, high, low, low,low). It wasn't until last 2 weeks it felt like I hit a brick wall. The results of losing weight still came but strength and energy levels were done! This week, I consumed carbs all week (50% protein, 40% carbs, 10% fats) and the weight lose still seemed on track. Both strength and endurance jumped up! Well yah because I had carbs.... At the same time, I still lost a pound this week with a balanced portion of carbs and protein. Is it because of the deficit? Metabolism confusion? Do you think if I continue to keep a balance diet of carbs and protein I will gain back some weight? I personally feel having that energy from carbs will give me that better workout for "dem gainz!" Any advice will be appreciated!

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Carbs are not evil. As long as you eat in a deficit you will lose weight. One slice of bread will not make your body magically be able to give food more calories. (otherwise feeding the hungry would be much easier). I feel hungry on low carb and I find my energy drops too. If you are like me and feel full (both stomach and energy) with carbs, eat them!
  • shroodle88
    shroodle88 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm no scientist, but I would advocate for a balanced diet that will be nutricious and sustainable in the long run.
  • stevenjouweng
    stevenjouweng Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I totally felt my gym experience go bad during the carb cycle! During this week of just eating carbs, ran faster and lifted heavier!
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Is your profile pic up to date? If it is you're fairly lean already so carb cycling could be helpful in grinding off the last little bit of stubborn fat versus running a straight deficit.

Unfortunately carb depleting plays havoc with energy levels and mental focus and generally sucks!

Check out Lyle McDonalds ebooks on the subject. His books ( especially THe Stubborn Fat Solution) will help you set up a good cycle.
  • stevenjouweng
    Options
    Is your profile pic up to date? If it is you're fairly lean already so carb cycling could be helpful in grinding off the last little bit of stubborn fat versus running a straight deficit.

Unfortunately carb depleting plays havoc with energy levels and mental focus and generally sucks!

Check out Lyle McDonalds ebooks on the subject. His books ( especially THe Stubborn Fat Solution) will help you set up a good cycle.

Yes that is my current pic! I never had a body fat percentage goal and did it for the experience. Thanks for the advice and I'll definitely check those reads out! The cycle is dreadful though Hahahha
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit you'll lose weight. It doesn't matter if those calories come from carbs, fat, or protein. (Edit: also, if the goal is to build muscle, you should switch from a deficit to a small surplus, if the goal is to cut, then keep a small deficit)

If you feel better with more carbs, then eat more carbs, so long as you are still at a deficit.

Also, 50% protein seems high. Your diary isn't open so I'm guessing, but you only need up to 2g/kg for "optimal" muscle building, and only 0.8g/kg for the average person. I would possibly move to a more well balanced diet if you are feeling crummy.
  • stevenjouweng
    Options
    Just started using this app, sorry about the profile thing. I eat more protein because it makes me feel more satisfied? I have read about the .8g/ lbs of body weight. Thanks for the advice!
  • Cidalia_LC
    Cidalia_LC Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    We're all different. Some people are less hungry with more carbs. Others get crazy food cravings if they go over a certain amount of carbs. Depends on your metabolism, if you have metabolic syndrome, etc. You want to do whichever diet best helps YOU control your hunger (so that you can successfully eat at a deficit) and on which you feel good. I do better with less carbs, more fat....but I'm not afraid of carbs either. Macros can and should be adjusted depending on what you're going for.

If you're done with weight loss and looking to gain muscle, upping carbs and protein is a good idea.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you are eating at a deficit you'll lose weight. It doesn't matter if those calories come from carbs, fat, or protein. (Edit: also, if the goal is to build muscle, you should switch from a deficit to a small surplus, if the goal is to cut, then keep a small deficit)

If you feel better with more carbs, then eat more carbs, so long as you are still at a deficit.

Also, 50% protein seems high. Your diary isn't open so I'm guessing, but you only need up to 2g/kg for "optimal" muscle building, and only 0.8g/kg for the average person. I would possibly move to a more well balanced diet if you are feeling crummy.

The standard cookie cutter advice isn't applicable when someone is as lean as the OP. When you get to lower levels of body fat the game plan changes when looking to alter body composition.

• edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would time the carbs around the workouts, specifically for the purpose of giving you energy and replacing lost muscle glycogen. Have some simple carbs before, during and after. Non-workout days minimize the intake to what makes you feel good. If you have energy, don't have carbs. If you are sluggish, have some complex carbs. There is no necessity for dietary carbohydrate intake, just listen to your body. Leave the worrying about minimum intakes for fat, protein, and micros.
  • stevenjouweng
    Options
    I also do all my workouts fasted! I do IF because it keeps my meals very scheduled due to working midnights lol :(