Blisters on my Feet.... help?!?

Options
So I walked today for about 40 minutes and ended up with giant blisters on the balls of my feet. They are huge and hurt so badly. Is there anything I can do to help the pain now, and then to prevent them in the future? I don't want these blisters to stop me from walking.

I do know it's not because of moisture, my socks were almost dry when I took them off.
I have also purchased some vaseline to put on my feet, I heard this helps. Any thing else?

Thanks!

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    lance the blister. DO NOT PEEL THE SKIN. dab some neosporin on it and bandage lightly.

odds are your shoes don't fit quite right or your form is off. try baby powder in your socks to help with moisture next time. other thing that might help, watch how you lace your shoes. make sure they're evenly cinched all the way up the shoe and not overly tight near your ball.

hope that helps!
  • annastacia10
    annastacia10 Posts: 106
    Options
    You might have the wrong type of shoes for your workout. If you have a specialty store nearby, let them observe you walk. You might need some orthodics in your shoes. Or you could be wearing shoes that are not good for your workout. Good luck! Don't quit. If you have access to a pool that is an incredible workout too and you can burn lots of calories while your feet heel.
  • meg_peg
    meg_peg Posts: 3
    Options
    I had infected blisters a few years ago, and paw paw ointment works wonders! It was recommended by my doctor as well! :)
    I agree, swimming would be a great workout! It may sting a little from the chlorine when you get in, but it eventually goes away.. :)
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I got terrible blisters when I first started, I have since gotten new shoes and that helped a lot, but I did some research and found this page

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/footandankleinjuries/a/Blisters.htm

Everything you need to know about preventing and treating blisters. I was using duct tape on areas where I was prone to get blisters and that solved the problem until I could afford new shoes.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Old runners trick... its likely something to do with your shoes and you'll likely continue to blister in the same spot.

Once the blister is healed... when I am running a half or full marathon, I place a square of duct tape over the spot that blisters. (Directly on the skin)In my case its usually my heels.

The smooth texture of the duct tape reduces friction and prevents blistering. Sweat breaks down the adhesive so that when you are done, it should just peel right off. Three bucks at a hardware store should last you a very long time.

Hope it helps in future.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Shoes are either not the right fit or more commonly you have them too loose. You'll have to find that sweet spot where they're tight but not too tight. You don't want to bind your feet or cut-off circulation.

Search for Mole Skin at your local drug store, and do a internet search on its use. When I was in the military, mole skin was a common item. (Basically, its a soft pad with a adhesive side.)

The blister will go away on its own in a short while. Keep it clean, and exposed to air. Don't be grossed out if the skin comes loose or comes off. That's a normal thing, you'll have more skin underneath, and it will take a day or two until it toughens up. Keep up with your efforts on walking if walking on the padded blister is bearable, (or when it heals, get back to walking) Eventually, your feet will adapt to the new demands you're putting on them.

By the way, congratulations and kudos to you for making a strong effort on getting out and getting in shape.
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will try the duct tape tip once the blisters heal... Might be a week or so, these suckers are huge! LOL
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Hope it works out for you. Apply it direct to the skin, put your sock on, then your shoe and off you go.

Keep in mind of course that I use this for running half or full marathons. It may not come off as easily if you are just walking.

If the tape is still sticky, A nice hot foot bath would fix that right up ....:wink:
  • mochama12487
    mochama12487 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I got terrible blisters when I first started, I have since gotten new shoes and that helped a lot

Sadly, I can buy a brand new pair of shoes, I've tried all different kinds, and it still happens. I apparently walk in a strange way that just makes me prone to blisters (probably due to my knees being crooked). Duct tape may just have to be my friend, LOL
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The shoes did it for me. I used to get blisters all the time working out. I buy Nike Shox, new ones every 6 months, and haven’t had a blister in 8 years. For walking, I like the Fitflops. They are very comfortable.