I have no problem losing it, I have a problem maintaining it!

Options
Where I am from people are not really into exercising or eating well. So I start off really well and then I return back to no working out and eating whatever.

Unfortunately I am not as active as my teen days :-(

But I ask to you fit people, how do you keep healthy as your lifestyle and how long have you been living this way?

I need motivation to know that this time my eating and working out habits are here to stay!

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. While it was hard losing it, maintaining it seems harder. Since you are no longer on that do or die plan the lazy days seem to multiply. I always figured whatever activities I took up needed to be things that I enjoyed and that worked for me. Tennis did not work for me, while I can hit the ball on a wall - large walls are hard to come by. I know I need my activities to be primarily solitary activities. I love going to the gym, enjoy strength training at home (this one was really hard for me) and love walking. Though I do two of them with friends on occasion I have yet to find anyone as dedicated as myself who will stick with our plans, so working alone is what works for me. Another thing that helps keep me motivated is when I can complete a 30 day Jumping Rope challenge and then fall off from JR for a while and then can barely get through 3 minutes I know I need to keep myself active and keep my strength up.

Try and find something that you enjoy and then schedule your workouts and reward yourself when you say complete a month or several weeks. Develop a habit.
  • Sparkle7
    Sparkle7 Posts: 15 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hey there! First, congrats on tackling this tough problem. Keeping it off isn't easy! Here's what works for me.

• Get rid of clothes as soon as they are loose. Get them tailored or sell / donate and buy new. You'll feel better & get a warning when clothes start to get tight.
    • Tell your friends you won't socialize around food anymore. Find non food activities and maybe, some new friends
    • Vary workouts to avoid boredom.
    • Get a fitness buddy who is motivated.
    • Talk about your weight loss on FB, etc. You won't want to have to tell those same people you gained.
    • Make sure your healthy food is YUMMY food. No one will be miserable eating forever.

Good LUCK!!!!!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find the link, but there was a recent video release of findings from the National Weight Control Registry and they identified several key successful habit of individuals losing and keeping off 30lbs or more.

http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm

First of all they identified a higher motivation than losing weight, such as "being a better parent".
    They exercised 60 min/day.
    They logged their activity.

All of this is based upon small changes that have dramatic impact over time. Just continue developing good habits and if you start to drift, correct and make small sustainable changes to get you back on track.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I always had a pretty healthy life style - I eat food I really like to eat. Which is fortunately mostly healthy stuff with some treats every once in a while. And I was pretty active - I walk every day after dinner or during lunch. I have to build it into my schedule or I don't do it. There is no way I am every going to be a gym bunny. So I walk to work or I walk after dinner or I walk the dog.

I gained weight - a pound a year for 15 years - by letting my portion sizes get too big. And then the last year before I lost, I gained another 15 pounds by eating a bit more and not taking my daily walk. That's the weight I lost (plus a bit more). Now I just keep eating that food I love - in reasonable portions.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Try to find a workout/fitness plan that you enjoy. If you only diet to lose w/o changing you're setting yourself up for failure. "It's a process, not a project," and a lifestyle not a "diet." It may take you a while but experiment and find out what works for you. B)
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I always had a pretty healthy life style - I eat food I really like to eat. Which is fortunately mostly healthy stuff with some treats every once in a while. And I was pretty active - I walk every day after dinner or during lunch. I have to build it into my schedule or I don't do it. There is no way I am every going to be a gym bunny. So I walk to work or I walk after dinner or I walk the dog.

I gained weight - a pound a year for 15 years - by letting my portion sizes get too big. And then the last year before I lost, I gained another 15 pounds by eating a bit more and not taking my daily walk. That's the weight I lost (plus a bit more). Now I just keep eating that food I love - in reasonable portions.

That's my story exactly--slow gain of a pound a year from college onward, then one year with a drastic change in living situation (I moved and wasn't walking to do errands, etc. all the time anymore) when I really piled it on.

I don't own a scale, but I weigh myself at the gym a few times a week. If I'm trending upward, I go back to a small deficit and tighten up for a while before it gets out of hand. Also, I've bought some really nice clothes that I love--it sounds shallow, but I want to fit into them.

And to the OP, I think "where I'm from people are not really into exercising or eating well" is a bit of an excuse. Americans (I live in the U.S.) are generally overweight and unfit. I don't see that as a deterrent--I see it as a challenge not to fall into that category.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

And to the OP, I think "where I'm from people are not really into exercising or eating well" is a bit of an excuse. Americans (I live in the U.S.) are generally overweight and unfit. I don't see that as a deterrent--I see it as a challenge not to fall into that category.[/quote]

Exactly what I thought. If people around you suddenly stopped caring about showering or brushing their teeth, would you let that affect you? You don't need their approval, and you don't even need to advertise it. Just do what you need to do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Where I am from people are not really into exercising or eating well. So I start off really well and then I return back to no working out and eating whatever.

Unfortunately I am not as active as my teen days :-(

But I ask to you fit people, how do you keep healthy as your lifestyle and how long have you been living this way?

I need motivation to know that this time my eating and working out habits are here to stay!

fit and healthy people practice good nutrition and get their fitness on...i really could give a *kitten* what other people around me do...just because my best friend doesn't ride a bike doesn't mean I'm not going to. I'm my own person...I do what I do.

the "people around me are not really into exercising or eating well" is week sauce...it's a lame *kitten* excuse to be a lazy *kitten*.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've "maintained" within a 20 pound range for decades, by eating good food, avoiding bad foods, exercising on a set schedule most of the time and finally, by getting back on the horse each time I fall off. I'm up 18 pounds again, and am also tired of such a large fluctuation, so intend to lose it and only go up and down by 3 pounds or so. I hope.

That's why I'm here- to learn from you all, how you maintained in a narrow range for a long time. The OP has a great question, as it's the one I have the most problem with. I say that I "maintained" as many of you might be glad to be only 18 pounds overweight, but for me, it's 18 pounds too much but I don't think it's healthy and is getting harder and harder to lose.
  • jharwell58
    jharwell58 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Three years ago I went to my doctor borderline obese and I'm pretty sure on the edge of jumping into diabetes. Her reaction was nonchalant; according to her, my weight wasn't THAT bad and there is medication for diabetes. I realized it was totally up to me from that point forward...either I could change myself or I could keep going the way I was heading. I made a commitment to become healthy and changed my lifestyle. People who are committed to healthy lifestyles make time for the activities that promote good health. A temporary change (i.e., "diet") means you only have to make the changes at your convenience.

I have lost a total of 55 pounds in those three years. I also lost that doctor.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Developing a habit of working out is one of the hardest habits to develop. Most other stuff takes about 30 days, but exercise takes almost 100 days to stick. And even then, people have recidivism rates that are high.

The thing about exercise or even it's paltry cousin, activity, is that people who are sedentary overwhelmingly have the excuse of not enough time, but if you ask anyone who is regularly working out, they will never say, oh, I have plenty of free time. People who have developed a habit and maintained that habit of exercise/working out have made it a priority in their lives.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that staying active keeps the weight in check. I've never lost more than 20 lbs by exercise alone and sometimes my weight just stayed the same, but I've never gained fat while exercising.

I think we make a mistake by calling it exercise. We never called it exercise when were are kids, we just went outside and played. I think adults need to remember the importance of going outside to play. Don't exercise; find an activity you enjoy and do it. I like riding a bicycle. I do it more to clear my head than anything else. But it is an activity that helps keep the weight off. Some people like to garden. Some people like to lift weights. Some people like to go play fetch with the dog. Whatever you enjoy, just get out and play more.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    In a way losing weight is indeed the easier part because in theory there is an 'end' But maint. there is no end ... it's quite literally the rest of your life so that fact can be SO overwhelming & daunting that many falters on old habits because the maint just seems too monumental of a task.

I think the key is to make sure that whatever healthy habits that you have developed while losing is something that can be maintained for the long haul. Transitioning to maint is nothing more but continuing the healthy habits and not revert to the ways of old with the mind set of 'yea I've reached goal I can eat whatever I want how ever much I want.' Because technically there is really no finish line ... it's a continuum - just with different goals.

Here are two articles I always recommend folks to read. They're helpful practical tips. This first one is from long time maintainers, boasting of about 10,000 members in the National Weight Control Registry. In 2014, NWCR reported 87 percent of their members maintained their weight loss over 10 years of at least 30 lbs or more. HERE

This second one I think is really helpful to put things into perspective for the long run not the quick 'I need to lose X lbs by X date' which I think is a mentality many follow & fail. Click HERE

I am embarking on my 2 yr maint anniversary here in a few weeks and I'd say the that two key things have helped me tremendously:
    1. Auto Pilot: From the get-go I proactively & consciously conditioned myself to replace my unhealthy habits with new healthy ones because I like the auto-drive mode. Think get in the car & put on your seatbelt without thinking about it level of mindless conditioning. (Kinda like sitting at the TV mindlessly stuffing my face LOL - same principle just different activity). I like not giving my brain the chance to say, ''ooo I want to eat an entire bag of Doritos instead of a proper meal" Think of Pavlov dogs ... yes I was the dog HAHAHA Read HERE to get the science behind the approach
    2. Jedi Mind Tricks: This REALLY helped me to 'stick with it' in maint when I became overwhelmed with the whole rest of my life fact. By adapting a variation of this 80/20 approach (I'm more like 90/10) I gave myself permission to snack hence I no longer obsessed about it because I can. Yes silly jedi mind trick but it really worked for me. There are also recent studies where it shows maintaining success adapting a 75/25 approach. Key is being consistent.

I apologize for the long post. Hope it was somewhat helpful. Best of luck to you!
  • cherishpatterson
    cherishpatterson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I maintain on a 90/10 food plan. Meaning, 90% of the time I eat according to my healthy lifestyle choice. Then maybe 10% of the time I'll have a meal or item off the "naughty" list. And to be completely honest, having lost 177lbs, the "naughty" food choices are not as appealing as they used to be. Maintaining for me has become my new way of life and new view of food. It's not easy to live in a world so obsessed with weight/health yet so overstocked with poor food choices... hope that helps. Just keep your goals in perspective, and the choices you make will follow what your heart and mind really want.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I maintain on a 90/10 food plan. Meaning, 90% of the time I eat according to my healthy lifestyle choice. Then maybe 10% of the time I'll have a meal or item off the "naughty" list. And to be completely honest, having lost 177lbs, the "naughty" food choices are not as appealing as they used to be. Maintaining for me has become my new way of life and new view of food. It's not easy to live in a world so obsessed with weight/health yet so overstocked with poor food choices... hope that helps. Just keep your goals in perspective, and the choices you make will follow what your heart and mind really want.

Amazing. Congratulatons to you!

• sandersgrant
    sandersgrant Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining within a 5-lb. range for two years. I still plan, log and track all of my eating and exercise, and weigh daily, to figure a weekly rolling weight average. If I go outside of my maintenance range, I go back to a deficit until it's fixed.

One thing that has helped me enormously is figuring my numbers on a weekly basis - so I eat at a deficit Sunday thru Thursday, then eat back the accumulated deficit Fridays and Saturdays - when you add in exercise calories(all of which I eat back), this lets me enjoy basically anything, within reason, every weekend, and just makes it much more sustainable, at least for me.

As is often pointed out, successful, long-term maintenance is really just a continuation of what got you there in the first place - so whatever that was for you, you just have to keep doing it, with the added bonus that you get to eat a bit more than you did. It's work, but 2 or 3 weeks of correction every few months beats the hell out of trying to lose tens of pounds on a long-term deficit - at least for me.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Watch portions and move every day. Set a maintenance range and return to deficit eating for a while if you notice bracket creep.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I sometimes struggle with the motivation to go to the gym. Because weight lifting rightly encourages rest days I sometimes use this as a convienient excuse. However, I keep on going to the gym because I always have a good time when I'm there and I love the feeling afterwards. For me, it's the most important/rewarding thing I can do for myself that day and it only takes an hour.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    The thing is, maintaining and losing is exactly the same mindset. You just have a few more calories to go with. You can stop exercising, but then you need to adjust your intake down. Most people start eating more and slow down exercising, which results in weight gain.

Or you just use MFP and follow the numbers.