Lunch on the run - thoughts?

Options
Today I had a package of Planters
Nut-triciuos mixed nuts for lunch. 260/cal. Not enough is it? Goal is 1480/day.

Replies

• SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That's fine. You just have a little more room to have something extra at dinner.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Do you have any goals for your meals? Not that you have to but I know I try to get more protein than those nuts would have for that many calories.

I actually walk during my lunch hours now so will stop off at Whole Foods and get some chicken from the salad bar and fruit and literally eat lunch on the run (walk) back to work. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    My body thinks of 260 calories as a snack, not a meal. Is lunch on the run an ongoing issue? How about packing a sandwich next time?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    If it satisfies you, it's fine. I generally eat a very small lunch myself, preferring to eat most of my calories in the morning and evenings. Timing of calories throughout the day is merely a matter of personal preference.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Tilly1285 wrote: »
    For me, no... :o

I make my meals and snacks the night before and pack a cooler.
    Today, I had a turkey sandwich with pepper jack cheese and with a dill flavored yogurt spread, 2 apples, mixed nuts, a salad and a 16 oz smoothie made from Greek yogurt and various blended veggies.
    When I plan ahead, this is easy, but if I am out and about without my cooler, who knows what I might eat.
    That was usually when I'd weaken and blow my whole diet for that day.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I generally preplan/pack my lunch and make everything as 1 hand-able as possible
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    For me, no... :o

I make my meals and snacks the night before and pack a cooler.
    Today, I had a turkey sandwich with pepper jack cheese and with a dill flavored yogurt spread, 2 apples, mixed nuts, a salad and a 16 oz smoothie made from Greek yogurt and various blended veggies.
    When I plan ahead, this is easy, but if I am out and about without my cooler, who knows what I might eat.
    That was usually when I'd weaken and blow my whole diet for that day.

Sounds delicious :)

I make Tzatziki sauce (yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill) and use it instead of mayo or salad dressing as well.

• edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    7 oz pack of turkey slices from Trader Joe's. I eat it while walking back to the office.
  • Jnascott
    Jnascott Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was super hungry the other day and saw a Walmart. Went in to the produce section and saw Kale Supper Salad. Omg it taste so good and it's cheap and good for you.
  • Tilly1285
    Tilly1285 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    Do you have any goals for your meals? Not that you have to but I know I try to get more protein than those nuts would have for that many calories.

I actually walk during my lunch hours now so will stop off at Whole Foods and get some chicken from the salad bar and fruit and literally eat lunch on the run (walk) back to work. :)

My daily is 1480. I try to break into 3rds each meal for balance and usually under the 493 average to leave room for afternoon snack or something before 8pm if I feel I could use it. I try not to eat anything after 8 pm.

Thanks everyone!
    Till
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

My daily is 1480. I try to break into 3rds each meal for balance and usually under the 493 average to leave room for afternoon snack or something before 8pm if I feel I could use it. I try not to eat anything after 8 pm.

Thanks everyone!
    Till

If you're doing that because of the myth that it will slow your weight loss, that isn't true. (Ignore me if you have your own reason for it)

A bag of nuts for lunch is fine if it doesn't leave you too hungry in the afternoon. Wouldn't be a choice I'd make except in an emergency, but it's not going to derail you.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, great! I find I need at least 400 calories for lunch.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It's not what would work for me. I try my hardest to pack my own lunch everyday. I have leftovers from dinner, or I pull something out of the freezer that I made up into individual servings.. things like soups, chili's, casseroles, grilled chicken to go on salad, etc. Makes it really easy and no thought really goes into it- no leftovers in fridge, I pop open freezer and grab. Since I've really gotten back on track with just this one thing, i've lost almost 2lbs again without any other real effort. Shows just how much crud I was eating when eating out. If i have to grab a lunch from fast food place, I often try to go for the salad option- wendy's, panera, or steamed veggies w/chicken from local chinese place. They have a lower oil sauce that goes on the side. Super yummy!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I "brown bag" it pretty much every single day.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I keep a box of protein bars in the office for those times I'm not able to grab lunch or forget to pack one.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Yup, protein bars, tuna packages or cans, yogurt...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Is it enough for you? Did you plan to have this or was it just what you had available today? If you are hungry and have more calories then eat more food.

If you need to grab something to eat then go to the grocery store. You could grab a salad, fruit or yogurt.
    You could look up info for restaurants in your area and go get something that fits your calorie goal.

In future, it isn't very time consuming to pack a lunch the night before or in the morning. A sandwich, some fruit or vegetables, hard boiled egg, leftovers from dinner... your nuts or a granola bar could be part of that.

My lunch is typically 300-700 calories.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If it's enough for you, it's enough for me! :)

A small lunch now and then is part of life.