Struggling to reach 2000 healthy calories

Options
AmieAP
AmieAP Posts: 46 Member
It's 1:30 and I haven't even broken 1000 calories yet. It seems to go like this almost everyday, unless I eat food I shouldn't be eating.
It was never a problem to make well over 3000 calories when I was stuffing my face with ramen noodles and chicken wings but since I've been eating healthy, there's just SO MUCH FOOD to consume, I feel like there isn't enough time in the day to eat it all.
I don't eat sugar so besides the very rare glass of milk, I don't really drink any calories.
Filling up with peanut butter and rice doesn't seem very healthy, but I could be wrong. It's happened once before.
Any help or info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do you meet your fat macro? Dietary fat does not make you fat.

Olive oil, avocado, nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy, eggs....these are calorie dense foods. Plenty of people drink calories in the form of protein shakes.

• AmieAP
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am usually over my fat macro with just meat and cheese. I'm not going to buy a protein shake. If it has more than one ingredient, I like to have made it myself. Then I know where every ingredient comes from.

I could start drinking whole milk, so gross lol, but I could do that.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    whole grain carbs. brown rice. potatoes. They are nutritious, filling and pack good number of calories still. I wouldn't just sit and eat them alone- I'd plan them as part of a balanced meal. add in more fruits. homemade fruit smoothie that I adore- about 1 to 1.5 cup of favorite frozen fruit blend(loved welch's antioxidant fruit blend and doles wildly nutritious mixed fruit), about 2/3 cup Orange Juice, about 1/3 to 2/3 cup water depending on thick I wanted it. blend. that's it. you can add greek yogurt to it for protein and more cals as well.
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You don't have to eat 100% "healthy foods" (something that is subjective to an extent, anyway) - my calorie goal is 2100 and I have no problem meeting that, and sometimes exceeding it. Here are things I typically eat:

Eggs
    Turkey Bacon
    All kinds of veggies - Avocados, tomatoes, peppers, onions, green beans, etc..
    Cherries, apples, bananas..
    Peanut Butter
    Potatoes
    Brown rice
    Corn and flour tortillas
    Beans
    All kinds of meat (ground beef, beef brisket, chicken, turkey..)
    Salad w/ regular dressing
    Bleu cheese crumbles on my salad sometimes
    Salad toppers which usually consist of some type of nut and caramelized fruit
    Milk
    Skinny cow chocolate treats
    Waffles w/ Syrup
    I cook with butter or EVOO

You don't have to limit yourself to grilled chicken breast and vegetables. There is nothing wrong with rice, peanut butter, potatoes, some treats, etc...

ETA a few more things I thought of and also to add that I am losing weight steadily and am happy with my progress.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    AmieAP wrote: »
    It's 1:30 and I haven't even broken 1000 calories yet. It seems to go like this almost everyday, unless I eat food I shouldn't be eating.
    It was never a problem to make well over 3000 calories when I was stuffing my face with ramen noodles and chicken wings but since I've been eating healthy, there's just SO MUCH FOOD to consume, I feel like there isn't enough time in the day to eat it all.
    I don't eat sugar so besides the very rare glass of milk, I don't really drink any calories.
    Filling up with peanut butter and rice doesn't seem very healthy, but I could be wrong. It's happened once before.
    Any help or info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Why don't you drink your calories? It's a great way to add more when you're not able to stomach more food. Peanut butter and rice can both be part of a balanced diet. For that matter, so can ramen noodles and chicken wings if eaten in the proper portions for your needs.

Cutting out all sugar really limits your options. But you might find some ideas here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dietary fat is essential to proper nutrition and healthy in appropriate quantities...my guess would be that you've cut out too much dietary fat.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I am usually over my fat macro with just meat and cheese. I'm not going to buy a protein shake. If it has more than one ingredient, I like to have made it myself. Then I know where every ingredient comes from.

There are plenty of protein powders with minimal ingredients that you can blend with additional flavors yourself, at home. It sounds like you've restricted your diet quite a bit without fully investigating your options.

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

There are plenty of protein powders with minimal ingredients that you can blend with additional flavors yourself, at home. It sounds like you've restricted your diet quite a bit without fully investigating your options.

OP... if you get down into the amino acid composition of a protein powder then you'd never be consuming one. There's always going to be more than 1 ingredient in a protein powder.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    My diet is restricted for medical reasons. I have gallbladder problems so my doctor has put me on a very low fat diet. This will change after my surgery. I don't eat sugar because it's unhealthy. But those are the only restrictions. As for the powders, its just unappealing to me. And too expensive.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    Eggs! Thank you. I should eat more eggs. That's one I seem to always forget.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    My diet is restricted for medical reasons. I have gallbladder problems so my doctor has put me on a very low fat diet. This will change after my surgery. I don't eat sugar because it's unhealthy. But those are the only restrictions. As for the powders, its just unappealing to me. And too expensive.

Sugar eaten in large quantities over a long period of time is unhealthy. The main people who should consider the timing of sugar intake are diabetics.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    I'm not arguing with you. I just don't eat it.
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If you're on a medical diet, you should speak with a doctor or nutritionist to assist you in meal planning with the right foods.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    My doctor is 400lbs and I wont pay for a nutritionist. There are too many resources online, like you guys, for free. The only thing I have to worry about is eating too much fat. He said to try to stay under 20%
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My doctor is 400lbs and I wont pay for a nutritionist. There are too many resources online, like you guys, for free. The only thing I have to worry about is eating too much fat. He said to try to stay under 20%

Does he want you to avoid ALL fat, or just saturated fats, trans fats, etc..? Some of the things on my list have fat in them, including the eggs, but for the most part it's healthy fat. If I was in your shoes, I guess I would probably try to stick to lean meats like chicken or turkey, and eat beef sparingly - Egg Beaters instead of real eggs might appeal to you. Fruit has sugar in it, so I guess that's out. Vegetables do as well, actually, so that'll be your call on how to handle that. Maybe low fat cottage cheese, reduced fat peanut butter, brown rice, potatoes, corn tortillas, and beans would be some good foods to consume in addition to the lean meats.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    He wants me to avoid all fat. I can have up to 20% fat - any fat. Oh I eat fruit, just not granulated sugar or brown sugar or that fake sugar they make. I also eat vegetables that contain sugar.
    cottage cheese sounds great actually! And beans. I don't eat beans at all come to think of it.
    Great choices here, thanks for reminding me of some great foods I haven't been eating. I will add some of these to my diet.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Your cheese accounts for half your fat most days. It's not giving you the most flexibility or "bang for your buck".
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

You don't eat fruit?
  • usmcmp
    Options

You don't eat fruit?

She has clarified that she doesn't count fruit as sugar, despite fruit having sugar.

From her profile: I DONT EAT SUGAR! ITS A DEADLY DRUG THAT SHOULD BE BANNED!

I'm thinking this probably comes from those fake documentaries that twist science.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

You don't eat fruit?

She has clarified that she doesn't count fruit as sugar, despite fruit having sugar.

From her profile: I DONT EAT SUGAR! ITS A DEADLY DRUG THAT SHOULD BE BANNED!

I'm thinking this probably comes from those fake documentaries that twist science.

Aaaaah.... *picks up doughnut and backs away