Calories & Results...oh my!

Options
Hello,
I've been changing my lifestyle of eating for some time now. I have seen some weight loss of over 20 lbs. I had my fitness pal set at 1200 calories and I changed it to 1350. Some days I have trouble making it these numbers. However. I feel like my weight loss has slowed or I'm not seeing enough results although I have had family notice my weight loss and booty! Lol. So please help me out with 2 things:
1) Should I up my calorie needs to about 1500 to see more weight loss? Yes, I do workout and strength train.
2) Is it odd that I haven't dropped many pants sizes since losing my 20+ lbs.? I was wearing a 18 and now I'm in a 16...my shirts do fit loose, but I expected more and I know I've gained muscle. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    No, if you're not losing, you're eating too much. Increasing your calories will only make you lose even slower. Do you weigh all your food?

And you can't gain muscle eating at a deficit. But one size in 20 pounds isn't bad, it depends on genetics a lot though, you might lose first from places where it's not that obvious etc.
  • LC_onelove
    LC_onelove Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You may need to lose a little more before you start to feel the difference in your clothes.

Usually, someone with more to lose takes more pounds lost to see results. It's all very individual. However, if you are eating right and exercising, you are making healthy choices and that's what matters in the long term. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hello,

2) Is it odd that I haven't dropped many pants sizes since losing my 20+ lbs.? I was wearing a 18 and now I'm in a 16...my shirts do fit loose, but I expected more and I know I've gained muscle. Thanks in advance!

I lost over 50 lbs before I could get into a smaller size - and even then it isn't consistent - just depends on the brand/style of pants.

If you're not losing on 1200 you probably just need to tighten up your logging. Be sure you're using your food scale for as much as possible, use accurate entries, use the recipe builder, etc...

• irnz
    irnz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to your goal the slower the weight comes off. As long as it's moving in the right direction you are doing something right.
  • divamommy03
    divamommy03 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your reply. I do have a food scale that I need to start using.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    1. No, increasing calories won't help you lose more weight.

2. No, that's about right. :) Be glad when you don't need new clothes. All this buying new clothes gets VERY expensive after a while. I've gone from size 24/3X to a 12/M and have bought a LOT of new clothes. Walmart and eBay are like my best friends these days.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking daily? If you arent drinking enough, your body will want to hold on to the water it gets through food. More water =greater weight loss, all things equal.

Also, have you fallen into a routine with daily life and workouts? Sometimes the body gets more efficient at doing things than you realize! :-)